Sign in to follow this  
azuleslight

Cartography skill

The basic gist of this is that you are able to make a map of your current server and use it to navigate that same server on a mini map (think live maps). The way the skill would work is, as you explore the actual server yourself( have to be there) you can add to a "map" as your skill progresses you are able to add more and more tiles to the "map" per "scan" of the area. the ability to add the tiles from the "scan" are effected by you "map" paper QL, Your current compass QL that you have activated to use the scan ability, and current skill level. it would look like this

EX. Map QL= 50, Compass QL= 30, skill level=10

the max scan distance at 10 skill is 5 tiles x 5 tiles
max tiles scanned at skill * ((map ql/100) *(compass ql))= percentage to be multiplied to max tiles, rounded up(above 5),

5 * (.5*.3)= .75

5 * .75 = 3.75

3.75 ^ 4 tiles (if 3.49 reduce to 3)

or a square of 4 x 4 tiles that you can add to the map.  (or reduced to 3 x 3 if below .5)

skill progression for "Scan":

1= 1 x 1 tiles max
10 =5 x 5 tiles max
20 = 10 x 10  tiles max
30 = 15 x 15  tiles max

40 = 20 x 20  tiles max

50 = 25 x 25  tiles max

60 = 30 x 30 tiles max

70 = 35 x 35  tiles max

80 = 40 x 40  tiles max

90 = 50 x 50  tiles max

100(99.9) = 100 x 100 tiles max

Skill progression of "Map Making":

1 =  tiles are recorded

10 = roads may be applied to map

20 = roads are defined, some structures may appear on the map, mini map appears

30 = roads are well defined, structures appear more often, landmarks may appear on the map, mini map available

40 = roads will always recorded on map, all buildings will be recorded on map, landmarks will be recorded on map, mini map available

50 =  map can now add points of interests, clay, tar, moss
70 = player can add 5 marks on the map/can navigate by cart or boat to points placed by player
90 =  Player can add 10 marks on the map/can navigate by cart or boat to points placed by player

100(99.9) = player can travel to any deed, land mark, point of interest marked on their map(for server that the player is on)

players can over write(clear/combine/overwrite) maps at 30 skill but maps ql will be damaged

players can transfer/combine up to 50% randomly selected map to another map (same ql or higher) at 50 skill, 50% success rate, map will take damage on failure

players can transfer 100% of the map to a new map (same ql or higher) at 70 skill, 50% success rate, map will take damage on failure

player can transfer/combine 100% of the map to a new map (same ql or higher) at 90 skill, 75% success rate

player can transfer/combine 100% of the map to a new map (any ql map) at 100(99.9) skill, 60% success rate, map will take damage on failure

decay rate applies to map at normal rates in all containers as they currently are.

can be sealed in a wax sealing kit to reduce decay up to 30% at 100(99.99) ql.

***New Spell: "Seal" can slow decay of maps by up to 90% dependent on skill cast. any cast over 100 will be capped at up to 5% additional decay prevention (i.e. 110 cast)***

maps can crumble(be destroyed) at 90 - 100 damage randomly.

No map of mines can be made.

No mini map of mines will be displayed, only a black screen will appear if mini map is active and player is in mine.

• Like 5

+1 , lots of people have suggested cartography so far

• Cat 1

Would love to create and have my own map in game on which I could mark various locations and such.

• Cat 1

That is super well thought out. I'd love it!

• Cat 1

+1 to map making, -1 to anything that either would tell you where you are or lead you to a location

I know Budda had ideas for it, how much of it was thought out I have no idea

At least if its able to show deeds u visited and show where u are its fine by me

• Cat 1

This would be pretty great! +1

• Cat 1

Then add T-Maps after , lvl 1 from low mobs cats and rats up to lvl 5 from Champs .

Just need figure loot to add that wont piss of Elite players ...

Make it so you cant farm them , same setup as rare coin RNG just less chance higher the map .

Still think Ultima Online style be nice for here  .

Also you may need to up distance covered for skill , some maps are dam huge ..

Maybe triangulate  to get larger area covered ....Using waystones as points of reference  ...

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

34 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Also you may need to up distance covered for skill , some maps are dam huge ..

that is the point of combine, it makes the entire server work together to make the maps whole.  well for now at least, because Wurm changes constantly....

Maybe have an option to allow the player to write on the map where deed locations are? Maybe tie it into the highway system

3 minutes ago, Gawain said:

Maybe have an option to allow the player to write on the map where deed locations are? Maybe tie it into the highway system

That is address at 70, 90, 100 skill, as you are able to mark the map 5, 10, and infinite travel options as long as they are on your map.  tieing it to the highway system is done at 20, 30, 40 skill as roads/highways are recorded on the map. unless I'm misunderstanding your aim, if that's the case i apologize.

• Cat 1

Yes! Also what if you were able to sell your maps to other players?

Regions could be determined so that you could buy local, area, region sized maps with varying levels of detail. 

Examining the map could inform you of how much new or updated information is on the map compared to your current one.

A value could be assessed based on the size and date of the map. 

I would imagine it would become a pretty monopolised market in 3-4 months. Let's say 10 tenacious players with a lot of time explore all of the servers, or 1-2 players fully explore the server they've been playing on for 5 years.

Everyone will buy their maps since they are comprehensive, making the market useless for the rest of the competition.

On 4/16/2020 at 9:02 AM, elentari said:

I would imagine it would become a pretty monopolised market in 3-4 months. Let's say 10 tenacious players with a lot of time explore all of the servers, or 1-2 players fully explore the server they've been playing on for 5 years.

Everyone will buy their maps since they are comprehensive, making the market useless for the rest of the competition.

yeah it would be generally comprehensive until deeds go away and mountains are flattened... 

+1 to map making. Really would like a "You are Here!" option on a map as well.