Sign in to follow this  
Holar

Question about the Wurm Online stream

I keep asking to host a podcast or stream called "You think you do, but you really don't." - where I'd cover ideas that people bring up and say "No" to them in various ways. But alas, I've been denied my dream.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Keenan said:

I keep asking to host a podcast or stream called "You think you do, but you really don't." - where I'd cover ideas that people bring up and say "No" to them in various ways. But alas, I've been denied my dream.

Unfortunately you were on the podcast or stream "You think you stream, but you really don't" where they covered stream ideas that people bring up and say "No" to them in various ways.

• Cat 1

1 hour ago, Gumbo said:

I had to do the rough math. Page hits on the Wunion thread averages out to 11+ hits each and every day, for 8 years running. Nope, no consistancy there. You're free to run things however you want, it's your game. Perhaps it's time to move my in-game content, games, ideas, to a personal level as opposed to public levels.

Wunion thread isn't free advertising on one of the internets largest game platforms though is it

29 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Wunion thread isn't free advertising on one of the internets largest game platforms though is it

I've never made that claim. But will say, I've had multiple streamers request I run games of DoND to co-incide with their streaming schedule. Does that count?

49 minutes ago, Keenan said:

I would watch this, even if it was my ideas being denied. 

8 minutes ago, Gumbo said:

But will say, I've had multiple streamers request I run games of DoND to co-incide with their streaming schedule. Does that count?

I would also watch this. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gumbo said:

I've never made that claim. But will say, I've had multiple streamers request I run games of DoND to co-incide with their streaming schedule. Does that count?

Then you'd be doing something likely to reach a very wide audience outside of the game, showing how versatile the game can be if you think about it, meaning you could then be part of VEN and get the benefits they do. Does sound like a fair exchange. Have a great deal of respect for you mate, but this crappy forum can't even automerge posts, I think we'd rip apart the system if we tried to put some form of reward into it.

• Like 1

I'm not online at 3AM or whatever when Retro typically streams.... but I'm curious what percentage of his audience doesn't already play Wurm.

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

I'm not online at 3AM or whatever when Retro typically streams.... but I'm curious what percentage of his audience doesn't already play Wurm.

It's mostly Wurm players, which is the point. The streams are about engaging the existing community, not advertising for new potential players.

Also, streams are around 11pm gm, if you're us based this makes it from 4pm to 8 pm

• Like 1

Many here have already had excellent points, but I'd still like to add my two cents. 

So Retro does different types of Wurm streams: 

• The more official dev streams where he and the devs discuss new and upcoming features 
  • The cozy community streams where he chit-chats with players (like the one you saw) 
  • "Chill gameplay" streams where he plays some wurm and chats with players

It's understandable that someone like yourself Holar, who has never been a part of a Wurm stream, would not have been aware that there are different streams for different purposes. And thus based on official streams you might have seen from other game companies, the expectation would be of something different. Just so you know, if you ever come back to watch the dev streams, I think they will deliver exactly what you were looking for. 

Whilst I very much appreciate the dev streams, I actually love the community streams even more, as they offer a much more intimate and relaxed arena for players to chit chat casually with Retro. Thanks to the chill and jovial nature of these streams, people feel much more comfortable actually asking questions and expressing their feelings, either good or bad. Whilst the forums are of course a very important part of interaction with the community, often times mere text gives off a much more stiff feel. So I'm so glad we have the community streams to really raise that "human connection" to the surface. To see a face, and hear a voice, to hear a laugh. And the better bond and connection Retro has with the community, the more players will feel "heard" and "seen". 

I've seen a ton of streams from other game companies, but watching those, I always feel like an outsider "viewing behind the glass" what they are saying. A lot of times they will just talk on and on, but rarely interact with chatters. A lot of times they also act a bit snobby, treating players like "mere mortals". With Wurm streams however, we're all on the same level and  I've never quite seen in any other game, the level of intimacy and cozyness that Retro manages to create for our little Wurm family. I hope that never changes! I think Retro is doing an absolutely fantastic job at what he was hired to do: community relations!

That said, I did see some very good ideas in this thread of how the community streams could be improved upon even further! If the Steam launch is a success, hopefully the team will have more resources to work with so that Retro doesn't have to wear so many hats and can look into those ideas in the future!

Edited by Malena
  • Like 1
  • Cat 2

On 4/6/2020 at 5:46 PM, Keenan said:

Please do. Or at least a subforum for denied suggestions.

Also:

1. in game text wiki was superior in every way
  2. animations should be able to be disabled the same as sounds or music
  3. keeping salt in your well actually DOES keep your meals from decaying as fast
  4. fountain pans were taken away to force people to go to the rifts because no one wanted to play on release

offtopic so adding spoiler

Spoiler
On 4/7/2020 at 1:46 AM, Keenan said:

My suggestion/idea.. Update WU 😛
but alas, i've been denied my dream.

it's ok, `no` pretty much covers it

Edited by Steveleeb