Sign in to follow this  
Votip

​Discussion about /snipe mechanic

7 hours ago, Ohana said:

It has been used before. 

It is some thing that old timers knew/know. It doesn't seem to have been passed down to the younger generation.

Damn oldsters! Always hoarding.

Yeah I recalled the feature after it had been discussed. I don't think anyone really knew ignores counted, even though it was in the patch notes.

As for my 5 year mistake, it's to do with how far back the history goes in that particular place I was looking. It goes back further elsewhere. :)

So @MrGARY- I stand corrected.

On 4/6/2020 at 8:10 AM, Ohana said:

It has been used before. 

It is some thing that old timers knew/know. It doesn't seem to have been passed down to the younger generation.

Damn oldsters! Always hoarding.

Its not even venerable yet in wurm years. How can it beold enough a thing for people to have forgotten about when its barely older than xanadu.

Mass ignore and not the snipe command, better remove snipe command

• Like 1

In all the years its been around i have used it myself 4 times together with others to silence idiots who where taking things to far without cm's around due to time zones and seen it mentioned a few times that people where suggesting to snipe someone or just ignore them

The "/ignore causes snipe" was something quite a lot of us knew off as well so my guess is that with the last ignore that the person in question received the system said "oh look the value is now high enough too snipe this person so lets mute them" which shows that there wasnt really abuse but more over that there are enough people out there that cant stand the person in question

Once was this command jokingly used to snipe a infamous person way way back on jkh(when we just had 2 servers) and rolf had a good laugh left the mute there for a day and undid it and that was that no instant "Oh no we must remove this issue its being abused" even he could tell based on the character who was sniped that it was deserving of it happening and we did that as a community on purpose where as this her seems to have been 1 /ignore too many with wurm just saying "no more talking for you the people dont want you to speak" so id say the feature worked as intended 

Either way it would be better if it was made to just only mute global and kingdom chats when /ignore and /snipe are used vs all chat even though i understand rolf's reasoning behind doing all chat mutes given the requirement to trigger this is quite high heck even our infamous bakesale lover who spammed it multiple times per day resulting in mute after mute never managed to get ignore sniped in the 2 years of him spamming it every single day multiple times per day so good job to you who managed to get more ignores then that guy ❤️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wipeout said:

Once was this command jokingly used to snipe a infamous person way way back on jkh(when we just had 2 servers) and rolf had a good laugh left the mute there for a day and undid it and that was that no instant "Oh no we must remove this issue its being abused" even he could tell based on the character who was sniped that it was deserving of it happening and we did that as a community on purpose where as this her seems to have been 1 /ignore too many with wurm just saying "no more talking for you the people dont want you to speak" so id say the feature worked as intended

I think you have your memories mixed up.  Jkh1 ceased to exist in 2009, 4 years before /snipe was added in 2013.  The mute also doesn't last "for a day", it's one hour.  Bakesale also existed long before snipe did

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrGARY said:

I think you have your memories mixed up.  Jkh1 ceased to exist in 2009, 4 years before /snipe was added in 2013.  The mute also doesn't last "for a day", it's one hour.  Bakesale also existed long before snipe did

Hmm must have been later on then either way its been around for a long time with no real abuse on it

Also its been 10 years already and i still want that server back :(

Not really sure why everyone is crying their eyes out over the loss of such an obscure/underused function.

The two main arguments I see from the complaints team are:

On 4/5/2020 at 1:45 PM, Angelklaine said:

There is absolutely no evidence of the feature abuse.

and

On 4/5/2020 at 1:45 PM, Angelklaine said:

suddenly someone starts talking about religion, politics, or sexually mature content but there is no mod present to mute them, I would be glad for a feature such as this.

If we were to just avoid the fact that the devs get unilateral decision making power when it pertains to WO and debate the issues on their face:

1) An absence of recorded abuse is not a good argument against removing something that has potential for abuse the same way that "I haven't shot you yet" is not a good argument to allow me to continue to point a loaded gun at you.

2) The devs, in an act of ultimate foresight and graciousness, have already included a feature for you to mute someone who is using language that offends your sensibilities. It is the /ignore function and it allows you to make changes to your own account to accomodate your preferences without allowing you to make changes to someone else's account, withour their consent, to accomodate your preferences. 

• Like 1

There are plenty of old timers.. who could be trusted with such power.. and if misused/abused.. user gets a penalty; that if mods are just short-staffed to begin with

I would think local and kchat would be the two most important places to stop them from speaking moreso than GL but unless its dynamic on what chat it mutes it probably needs to have them all. I'd think they should be able to /support and PM with staff but beyond that it could well be that someone is spazzing out in alliance or local just as much as it could be kchat. PMs to individuals matches up with /ignores but if someone is PM spamming everyone thats a good reason for the community to be able to stop them from carrying on with it makes sense to include. GL, CA, Trade or PM there is the whole issue that its not about votes across the entire cluster so people on cele can't do anything about someone abusing the chat from freedom kingdom but on chaos. Having some self policing is and has been good I think and the punishment of an hour of mute isn't really a big deal unless its getting done to you over and over. If anything it would be nice to revamp the system to better allow for the cross server channels for the times when no one is available to moderate and then limit the mute to that channel only.