Sign in to follow this  
Erowynn

Custom Sail, Banners, Flag Imagery

I'm wondering if perhaps in the future, if there was a store shop purchase option for being able to pay money to have customized imagery uploaded into the game so we can have emblems and other creative works on your sails, banners, and flags in game. Even crests on plate armor.

The way it would work, before purchase, players would upload a "submission" that would be vetted by developers to make sure no nude, or other explicit content could get through. Once approved you could pay a flat fee to have your image on an item: flags, sails, banners, etc. Here's an example from the game Haven and Hearth... After submission players would receive a schematic of sorts in-game via their inventory similar to how purchasing prem rewards work. They would then be able to apply this like a skin, one time use to an item of their choice when applicable.

I think this would open opportunities in game for players to trade silver for custom designed boat sails. Which in turn could increase the amount of purchased silver on the store.

ZVXimYR.png

Thoughts?

Edited by Erowynn
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

We've wanted this for Chaos kingdoms for awhile.  For freedom though... sorry, -1

Big yes to this one. Been suggested many times.  Would love to see some form of this feature available to all players. PvP already has it in the form of their kingdoms, and many on the PvE side of the game would love to have access to some form of this type of personal customization as well for their deeds and vehicles. +1, again.

• Like 1

-1, this topic has been mentioned so many times. PvPing in wurm is very expensive. Money from PMK Banners or wagons goes mostly into deed upkeeps (You cant pvp properly wihout few deeds), resurrection stones, templars, we often buy stuff from freedom that we cant create or it would take too much time. Until nothing will change in this matter, I cant agree on giving the Freedom Alliances the same ability.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Votip said:

-1, this topic has been mentioned so many times. PvPing in wurm is very expensive. Money from PMK Banners or wagons goes mostly into deed upkeeps (You cant pvp properly wihout few deeds), resurrection stones, templars, we often buy stuff from freedom that we cant create or it would take too much time. Until nothing will change in this matter, I cant agree on giving the Freedom Alliances the same ability.

I'm new, so I don't know half of what you said, but sounds like, regardless this could be solved by just making the designs, returned to play inventory in the event that maybe something was captured, taken or destroyed on PvP maps? Seems like a pretty solid solution thus making everything else irrelevant. Plus why would anyone in their right mind turn town opportunities to generate more game revenue?

They're actually arguing that this should never be available on PvE servers as the PvP server needs a monopoly item to raise money from PvE players so they don't have to shoulder the cost for their PvP.

They don't care about game revenue, they only care about their own revenue.

At some point, wargasm will suggest "just go to chaos if you want custom images", but don't listen to that.  It is 100% a trap.

24 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

They're actually arguing that this should never be available on PvE servers as the PvP server needs a monopoly item to raise money from PvE players so they don't have to shoulder the cost for their PvP.

At some point, wargasm will suggest "just go to chaos if you want custom images", but don't listen to that.  It is 100% a trap.

xDDDDD, you are joking, right? I remember one of our kingdom member buying 5g for real money to buy silvers. Why? In order to pay for our deeds, templars etc. We dont care about our revenue, we dont even have any income - everything we spend instantly. We care about our ability to play and to do PvP.

1 hour ago, Erowynn said:

I'm new, so I don't know half of what you said, but sounds like, regardless this could be solved by just making the designs, returned to play inventory in the event that maybe something was captured, taken or destroyed on PvP maps? Seems like a pretty solid solution thus making everything else irrelevant. Plus why would anyone in their right mind turn town opportunities to generate more game revenue?

I dont exactly understand what do you mean to be honest

Edited by Votip

beast does not appear to be online so i shall be posting the meme in his honor

image.png

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Just stop. At this point I think you don't understand or don't want to understand how expensive PVP is in this game. Just read what Votip posted. Money from PMK merch doesn't go into our pockets but for deeds, res stones etc.

Also there's similar topic about it so I don't know why make a 2nd one.

3 hours ago, Miket said:

Just stop. At this point I think you don't understand or don't want to understand how expensive PVP is in this game. Just read what Votip posted. Money from PMK merch doesn't go into our pockets but for deeds, res stones etc.

Also there's similar topic about it so I don't know why make a 2nd one.

They're the same people who don't understand the balance the game tried to strike with the crafter VS priest gamestyle, it's kinda hard to make an argument they'll accept, regardless of how well you make the point that this isn't a good idea.

Totally custom? God no. I wouldn't mind if it was limited using templates, similar to how some online shooters allow you to create clan flags or whatever.

5 hours ago, Votip said:

I literally just translated this into English, removed the dubious justification (neither side can agree if such monopolies are justified), and re-stated it since OP didn't understand what you'd said.

Also, if it is the word monopoly you disagree with:

Monopoly (https://www.dictionary.com/browse/monopoly)

noun.
Exclusive control by one group of the means of producing or selling a commodity or service.

Which, of course, fits this scenario perfectly.

3 hours ago, Miket said:

Just read what Votip posted. Money from PMK merch doesn't go into our pockets but for deeds, res stones etc.

4 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

so they don't have to shoulder the cost for their PvP.

Yeah, I said that.  Those would be some of the component costs of PvP.

I like it, even if it's just a few symbols chosen from a drop-down like shop signs for pve and pvp kingdoms get their banners. 

57 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Which, of course, fits this scenario perfectly.

No it doesnt.

There are currently 3 PMK's that can sell their banners and compete with each other in the matter of design and price

btw

de1462c626.png

You can come on chaos and become a part of this "monopoly" (as you named it) like we and other pmks did. Is that still a "monopoly"? No, it never was.

5 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

I don't know what your problem is with me, and I will never understand your deep seated hatred for people that like PvP, but I could make the same argument about "caring for their own revenue" from many people on Freedom.

Truth is, I have five concerns with this suggestion, and none of them have to do with "taking revenue from PMK's on Chaos".  But since you're clearly here to do nothing but fling poo, make assumptions and troll people, then I'll defer to the others to argue with your stupidity.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

I don't know what your problem is with me, and I will never understand your deep seated hatred for people that like PvP, but I could make the same argument about "caring for their own revenue" from many people on Freedom.

Truth is, I have five concerns with this suggestion, and none of them have to do with "taking revenue from PMK's on Chaos".  But since you're clearly here to do nothing but fling poo, make assumptions and troll people, then I'll defer to the others to argue with your stupidity.

You're really working hard to conflate "disagrees with" to "deep seated hatred".  The fact you've taken it personally is a bit odd, I did mention the "come to PvP and do it" thing, because that always crops up, and you were the one to suggest it last time.  I'm sorry if that offended you.

All I've done is come into a thread and put forward an explenation to someone who completely misread something.  I've put it down as it actually is, no sugar coating and I've not put forward my opinion on the matter.

You've parlayed that into "[flinging] poo, [making] assumptions and [trolling] people", that's your problem.

I take it personally when someone only comments on a thread exclusively to put words in my mouth, or make irrelevant generalizations like "all PvPers only care about their own revenue".

You still have yet to contribute anything to the topic at hand,  4 separate people have called you out on it, and here you are continuing to attempt to argue the finer points of what is and isn't offensive, sugar coated or otherwise not properly interpreted in your warped sense of legitimacy.

Lmao @Wargasmyou literally said what Etherdrifter alluded to the last time this was suggested for Freedom, those words aren't being put there.

I do agree with @Votipthough, specifically because he qualifies his opposition with "as long as this is the case". I'm always saying that if PvP needs this feature gatekept because of its cost, then clearly the true problem is that PvP is prohibitively expensive which it really shouldn't be.

The funny thing is how rare suggestions about adjusting the cost of PvP seem to be compared to custom banners for Freedom. I can't even think of a single one, while this the one suggestion I've seen crop over and over again most.

No, I don't think PvPers just want "profit" out of this, especially with RMT out of the window this seems like a petty accusation. But in an uncharitable interpretation, it looks like you guys are pretty complacent having the playstyle subsidized. And I'm saying uncharitable because I'm playing devils advocate, I'm aware of the complaints about the PvP meta and how messed up it is and that devs don't really give a darn about it, but why not formalize these complaints and make a suggestion for changes to the cost model of PvP to make it stand on its own legs like it deserves? Also explain what currently finances PvP, referencing PMK merchandise.

Then, even in the likely case that nothing comes of it, you can at least refer to the new thread as a reference of what you want before Freedom banners should be a thing in your eyes. Might save a lot of back and forth in the future because this suggestion isn't going to lay down it seems.

• Like 1

I'll try and ask an honest question here as one who has observed these conversations on similar other threads when this issue comes up:

Is PvP so dependent on income from custom wagons/banners/flags that it could not survive or do well if the rest of the players in the game had some way of customizing their own heraldry?  That always seems to be the hottest point of contest in these suggestions, that PvP kingdoms need the revenue and if they lost exclusive rights to personalized heraldry, then bye bye PvP kingdoms. If so, then a serious fix is needed for PvP side of things on a much larger level, but denying a fun feature to the rest of the Wurm community based on a problem with PvP is bad logic.  There is clearly a demand/desire for such a thing in the larger PvE community, and the game could greatly benefit from that if it were implemented appropriately.

<Edit>: Just saw Flubb's post after I put mine up here. Flubb brings up one of the same issues.  If PvP is dependent on heraldry to remain financially viable, a fix is needed for that.

Also:

2 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

I like it, even if it's just a few symbols chosen from a drop-down like shop signs for pve and pvp kingdoms get their banners. 

This might be a great compromise- give a set of symbols or designs that can be chosen for ships, wagons, banners and flags within the Freedom Kingdom, and allow for independent dying of background and element chosen.

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Thalius said:

Is PvP so dependent on income from custom wagons/banners/flags that it could not survive or do well if the rest of the players in the game had some way of customizing their own heraldry?

Quite yes. As I said, every kingdom needs atleast few deeds to work properly. Deeds arent small. Every deed need spirit templar in orderd to receive a twitter message when somebody is attacking. We need res stones that costs 4s each to have a chance to keep our more expensive gear while dying - Who wants to lose his/her drake set and moonmetal weapon? We sometimes buy stuff from freedom or use their services - sometimes its faster, sometimes we cant do something. PMK gear is something that allows us to afford atleast bigger part of all this mentioned by me stuff. And as I said before, I know a guy who bought a 5g in order to keep our kingdom alive

edit: i forgot about kingdom crafters/priest that needs premium - a lot of pvpers are currently priests, thats how meta looks

Edited by Votip

I had no intention to incite any arguments or ill will towards each other. I'm a new player, so I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to PvP stuff and how all that works. How the economy works for PvP, I just assumed it was all the same as far as revenue for the devs in general.

It depends on the kingdom.  MR, for example, must have been very expensive because I know they had what... 40-50 deeds?  5 of them just surrounding HoTA.  

Simply put, it isn't necessary to have 50 deeds to uphold a kingdom... and as such, I don't consider PMK "graphic income" to be a necessity for any kingdom.  But that doesn't make me lose value in my opinion that custom graphics SHOULD be reserved for Chaos/Epic kingdoms.

We have our foot in the door now, at least being able to dye our sails the kingdom's primary color (red for MR, blue for JK, etc), but they aren't unique to our kingdom, and that's what I want.  I would love to see boats with kingdom sails that work like tabards.  If you own the boat, and you're on Chaos... the sail of your boat reflects your kingdom's colors.  I like the idea for the decoration, not for the economic perks.

• Like 1