Sign in to follow this  
Threap

Remove boat captain stamina drain on chaos

With the new boat mechanics which actually seem better in terms of desync issues and turning. But stam drain is a bigger problem now. In the past as captain you could stop briefly to regain stam thats no longer the case due to the speed change timer. The stam issue can easily be mitigated using stamwiches, which makes the mechanic just a pain rather than useful or challenging, so can we just remove stam drain while captaining on pvp?

Also,

Please add keybinds to select different speeds similar to clicking the icons.

If everyone got the same "issue" would that still not make it fair?
How about adapting?

48 minutes ago, Rakki said:

If everyone got the same "issue" would that still not make it fair?
How about adapting?

Its fair sure, but does it really add anything to the experience? its fairly easily mitigated when you have stamwitches, so I am saying its fairly pointless so why not just remove it.

simply cuz the captain with stamina can dodge arrows. captain with no stamina is archery target in pvp. kill captain, boat stops. simple as that. the only thing thats missing is the pvp itself :D

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 8:06 PM, Threap said:

The stam issue can easily be mitigated using stamwiches, which makes the mechanic just a pain rather than useful or challenging

That's true. From a gameplay point of view I find it very weird to munching sandwiches while driving a boat in pvp as some form of meta.

I think the idea and suggestion is a solid one, and I'd love to see it ingame.

There's really no logic behind a captain losing stam while the crew isn't. Applies to carts as well. Riding a horse makes sense a bit since you have to keep your balance, but on a boat you're completely static.

+1 for the suggestion, it has bugged me since day one and there's no valid reason why captains should lose stam.

I feel like it's better to +1, because of the fact it can be gamed with stuff like endurance sandwiches.  Picture new steamy players in boat pvp losing stamina while some guy is just flat out slammin down sandwiches.  The simple fact that we use weird workarounds to defeat an intended mechanic just shows that there's an issue with said mechanic and the answer shouldn't be "lol just use the same weird workaround we do".  I'd also +1 leaving it as is and just removing the new sailing mechanic because it sucks

• Like 1

for the people that might not understand how pvp works let me try to break it down for you

the reason a captains stamina drains is to create an exploitable weakness in chasing an enemy boat, if you don't mitigate it, you're going to lose

they added a combat cooldown to eating and in my opinion that should extend to archery proccing the effect as well, so you can't just "cheese it with sandwiches" but you can still drop the sails for stamina regain, ask for a refresh etc.

everyone will agree to just remove the current sailing mechanics because they're pure ass, but removing the stamina drain is dumb and is meant to benefit dumb groups of players who can't micromanage their gameplay

sorry, some people are going to be better than others, not sorry

• Like 2

Physical movements on the server have always been determined by a consumption of stamina, from day one. If you decide to remove the stamina drain for boats category, you are going to alter an important part of the game.

I fully agree with Platinumteef, there are already ways to regain stamina which make you perform an action to do so. You or the team mate.

And yes, please rework or remove the current sailing mechanics. It’s kinda difficult dealing with it during pvp.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

Oh sure.... lets make it impossible to kill someone on a boat.   Hey... here's an idea... why don't we remove stamina drain from driving carts, riding horses and even running through the woods too so that nobody ever dies.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, platinumteef said:

for the people that might not understand how pvp works let me try to break it down for you

the reason a captains stamina drains is to create an exploitable weakness in chasing an enemy boat, if you don't mitigate it, you're going to lose

they added a combat cooldown to eating and in my opinion that should extend to archery proccing the effect as well, so you can't just "cheese it with sandwiches" but you can still drop the sails for stamina regain, ask for a refresh etc.

everyone will agree to just remove the current sailing mechanics because they're pure ass, but removing the stamina drain is dumb and is meant to benefit dumb groups of players who can't micromanage their gameplay

sorry, some people are going to be better than others, not sorry

The turning changes to boats are better than they used to be, just the start and stop cast time is crap. maybe lower that to 1 second for full speed to full stop and add a damn hotkey...

Please let the boat captain regain stamina on Chaos.

Can you imagine boat PvP where you aren't struggling to target the captain, instead you can just call a target you prefer?

Having it tactically OP to target the captain is a weird feature. Right now, captains are the best target because they might have lower chance to block melee attacks due to no stamina. This means boat captains have to periodically slow down or stop to regain stamina. This is unnecessary. It also makes boat pvp less fun for the captain. That means 20% (sailboat) of the crew is having less fun in boat pvp. That means pvp is discouraged by this feature, with no obvious benefit.

It also discourages me from sail-roaming with loot on me, where I might be more inclined to bring carpentry tools along if I can regain stamina. 

DA