Sign in to follow this  
Odynn

Rework dragon scale / hide drops.

To put it simply and encourage more public slayings for the bloods, limit the drop to a smaller area around the dragon, maybe 5 tiles or so, allowing bystanders to get the blood / potions without taking away the scale/hide.

-1 , If they aren't reworded all togather with rifts i would rather see all the changes about them reverted back with all the nonsense. so at least we stop pretend it's about "community public slaying" when it's about loot. Or do whatever change to actually encourage searching for them in more reliable way then encouraging the people and they alt to show up and stand around in local while the slaying is going on.

• Like 1

Have it so everyone has to do damage to the dragon to get rewards.

Make the dragons scale to the amount of people that are there.

Make the model bigger.

Make them legendary.

And thanks to the people who killed the dragon and never invited me and my friend even though we was there to help capture it.

• Like 1

The changes were supposed to level the playground, they weirdly had the opposite effect.

And yes, the loot (and greed tied to it even after the RMT removal) will always be a trouble...

But I've been seeing people ask for potions for a while and though "how can we get both to work"? Humanoids loot remains on the corpse... but the real loot of the dragons is spread within all the local radius... which is the issue... as for doing damages to the dragon we always have the issue of the priests or tank (i didn't landed a hit the last time i tanked one, but took 20+ for the team).

17 minutes ago, Odynn said:

The changes were supposed to level the playground, they weirdly had the opposite effect.

And yes, the loot (and greed tied to it even after the RMT removal) will always be a trouble...

But I've been seeing people ask for potions for a while and though "how can we get both to work"? Humanoids loot remains on the corpse... but the real loot of the dragons is spread within all the local radius... which is the issue... as for doing damages to the dragon we always have the issue of the priests or tank (i didn't landed a hit the last time i tanked one, but took 20+ for the team).

I think all priest attack/heal spells should count and also in Rifts.

Alright, so here we have a rather interesting issue.

1.  If hide amount isn't reduced in some way, alt abuse kicks in to mass farm materials from a dragon

2.  However, with hide reduced by the number of people it is shared between, it's still open to alt abuse (the more alts you have there, the bigger your slice of the pie)

Limiting the radius to within 5 of the dragon would help resolve the alt abuse issue (though, if you were unlucky and got killed by the dragon, you might miss your drop)

The trouble is, all this begs a question as to why we want to limit the amount that comes into the game?  And here we see that it is only valuable if it is rare; its worth would be depleated if it were avialable to everyone, and it would detract from the worth of other things (who would buy plate when they could get scale; or leather when they could get hide?).  So perhaps there is a less than selfish reason for desiring the scarcity.

The happy middle ground would be to award scale to people who are either within the 5 tile radius, who have hit the dragon, who have been hit by the dragon in the last 10mins, or who have healed someone while within 5 tiles within the last 10mins.

• Like 1

How about the whole server gets the blood and you don't have to pretend you invite people to the slaying where they can watch you across that 5x5 fence and not participate.Lets not waste everyone's hour or two for nothing. I mean, it's your dragon and do what you want with it, For the potions goes same as hide, if they in demand and the supply is low, the price go up. Or other way around

Or how about whoever targets the unique first gets all the loot once the dragon is killed, by whoever.

• Like 1

There will never be a "just" solution, but don't fix the unbroken introducing worse. In fact, public slayings make a minor share of all slayings which is not generally to object. The share one receives from those mass events (save the blood) is more or less symbolic, and the events proper are usually much fun. With my hide and scale pieces won so far it would take me 20yrs approximately to obtain a full set that way, it is fun to have it anyway.

If really interested in winning enough mat for a set just join a hunting group, or create one and compete with the existing ones.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

There will never be a "just" solution, but don't fix the unbroken introducing worse. In fact, public slayings make a minor share of all slayings which is not generally to object. The share one receives from those mass events (save the blood) is more or less symbolic, and the events proper are usually much fun. With my hide and scale pieces won so far it would take me 20yrs approximately to obtain a full set that way, it is fun to have it anyway.

If really interested in winning enough mat for a set just join a hunting group, or create one and compete with the existing ones.

Like I said.. I was with one. But they didn't let me know when they was doing it.

It shouldn't be easy to get it but after 6 years I have a helmet to show for it.

Unique Creatures in wurm is something similar like raid bosses and such in other mmo's. they all have rare/enhanced loot to drop. Now i have never ever seen an open world mmo game that would not have a fair share of fights over these rare monsters. parties vs parties, clans vs clans, allies vs allies, kingdoms vs kingdoms, they all and always fight for the right to kill and loot those mobs. Its just the way it is. The only issue i see here is that there is no PVP actions on those freedom servers. Thats your issue. Any player on an mmo MUST have the ability to kill another player for whatever reasons, end of story :)

Edited by Skatyna

Or worse yet, redo drops to distribute it server wide upon death, everyone online gets a blood, keep the hide to a radius as usual.  Private slayings go on, public slayings for the benevolent go on, everyone gets blood,, meta gets cheaper.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

distribute it server wide upon death, everyone online gets a blood, keep the hide to a radius as usual

bit extreme but hey, why not, that would also solve the local lag during large slayings.

Just add scale and hide to T-Maps and uniques .

That way you please everyone .

So add T-Maps now .     🤔

15 hours ago, Blaike said:

Like I said.. I was with one. But they didn't let me know when they was doing it.

It shouldn't be easy to get it but after 6 years I have a helmet to show for it.

Blaike, as you described it, that is poor player behaviour which cannot be fully avoided by any game mechanics changes.

It might be that the removal of all unique detection methods, from PoK over reveal creatures to pendulums, was somewhat over the top. Certainly it did not help Xanadu (except that those unique hunters murdering champ creatures in zoo pens do roam around bit less - btw that was not OR .. ).

I understand and support the motive of the suggestion but do not agree to the suggestion. There should be further incentives for organizers of public slayings probably.

Edit: If I see it correctly, the problem mostly if not only exists with dragons and hatchlings. Could a process be implemented where the deed holder of the unique pen could form a team to which, say 25% of the scale/hide loot goes while the rest is distributed among the public? And prolly some special reward (maybe a skin, sleep powder, premium marks, whatever) for the organizer of a public slaying in addition.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum

It's really difficult to create a system to please everyone, that's a given in game design. In most mmos, the issue with loot is usually resolved by instancing certain mobs. That way an unlimited number of players can participate BUT only per day/week/month , depending on instance and game.

In wurm however, people can perfect systems to track down uniques, pen them and kill them, thus removing a large population of the game from winning any rewards. Their effort is indeed rewarded BUT it stops being a "free for all" event, it becomes a reward for the same group. This can be discouraging to most players and over time create the perception that certain rewards are gated to a certain segment of the population.

It's a bit hypocritical at this point to call them "community events" when really they're just small group events. A group that spans most freedom servers, with good horse gear, coordination, playing on different timezones will always have an advantage over 99% of the population.

Potential solutions to this issue can be:

1. Make uniques have fixed locations, or spawn similarly to rifts. Have uniques spawn mobs, you kill them for participation points like rifts, you get LOOT drop based on how much you participate, fight, heal, cast spells. This creates a motivation for players to skill up fighting skills to participate. Number of mobs can scale to number of players in rift area. I'd also like to add, that a minimum participation threshold must be reached to be elligible for loot. This can discourage people bringing tons of alts, targeting mobs and getting more loot. Alt abuse has been rampant for unique fights.

2. Instance uniques on a separate small server, 4x4 size or less. Call it Dragon Island or something. Players can only enter it based on certain conditions and you can't kill a unique more often than two weeks. This gives an equal chance to people. Again this opens the potential for alt abuse, since it can be easy to spam alts to 70 FS, but a system could be put in place to detect alts, based on character skills (alts usually have zero skills or very low), premium time and other factors.

3. Set up a system to identify player citizenship on servers. E.G. "This is Artyom, he is a citizen of Release." Have unique spawn based on average premium players on Release and ONLY citizens of that server can kill them.

4. Completely remove them and set up other ways to earn dragon hide/scales based on SOLO achievements. Perhaps solo difficult missions, journal goals and somesuch can be put into place for that purpose.

I don't like the current system, players in any game will find out "tricks" or perfect "micromanagement practices" to achieve certain goals. Uniques as such, are currently only a resource exploited by a limited number of players & gated to the rest of the player base.

• Like 2

How about something like this:- 

Instead of a dragon randomly spawning, there is some mechanism to spawn the dragon\drake. Perhaps you have to collect 25 key fragments or something similar. Once you have 25 you can spawn it and kill it. 

So a more casual player might take many months to find all 25 key fragments, he can then either sell them or barter with a dragon slaying group for help to kill it.

A dragon slaying group can hunt for\buy keys and pool keys to get a kill.

You choose when it spawns, so its purely a choice if you share it with the server or not and also mitigates alt leeching.

The little guy\solo player still has a decent chance of getting keys so when he either gets a group or pays a group to kill it, as the number of people will be smaller he will get a good chunk of hide.

Also fixes the toxic dragon penning behavior which was never really an intended mechanic.

Edited by Threap
  • Like 4