Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Celebrate the migration of Celebration to AWS on April 1 2020!

We will be taking all servers down on Wednesday, April 1 2020 in preparation for migrating Celebration to AWS! This isn't an April Fool's joke, though any downtime outside of what we expect can be blamed on the day for sure. 😇

The schedule of events:

Tuesday, March 31:

- Stand up the infrastructure for Celebration and prepare it to take the server data.

Wednesday, April 1:

- Offline all servers around noon UTC (8am Eastern US).

- Update all servers with Celebration's new connection information.

- Dump all of Celebration's data and upload to new server.

- Restore data onto Celebration's new hardware.

- Set up AWS-related configurations for Celebration.

- Online all servers!

I've decided to keep all servers down for the migration as it shouldn't take more than an hour of downtime, though I will call it 1 to 2 hours for safety. If it lasts longer than an hour then we can make the call to bring all other servers online, though keep in mind that mail and travel to Celebration while it is offline is unadvised.

A reminder that we may have growing pains with this change. We've been very careful in our decisions around what resources to allocate for servers, but we've yet to have a solid player load on an AWS host. I also can't stress enough that while this uplift has many benefits for us, it cannot fix issues in the code that can cause lag. We'll need to address reports of lag carefully to see if it's something we can fix with a code change or something that needs to be fixed with configuration or resources.

Here we go!

• Like 20
  • Cat 1

Good luck, I'm hoping you crack it first time lad

• Like 2

While this is quite exciting both for those on Cele and all those impacted by hetzner issues over the years I have to say I'm a bit sad that it will be cutting into our opportunity to enjoy any April Fools shenanigans. It is always fun to see what ya'll come up with for hijinx. I hope that maybe there will be an extension of the jocularity for an extra day to make up for the lost time.

Best of luck wiht the push.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CreZ said:

I have to say I'm a bit sad that it will be cutting into our opportunity to enjoy any April Fools shenanigans

Careful what you wish for... That's the first thing i thought when i've seen the announced move... if not for the big red warning!

• Like 1

since the downtime will be negatively impacting our april fools, can we get a week of power tool sounds as compensation

• Like 9
  • Cat 2

4 hours ago, Keenan said:

Wednesday, April 1:

- Offline all servers around noon UTC (8am Eastern US).

- Update all servers with Celebration's new connection information.

- Dump all of Celebration's data and upload to new server.

- Restore data onto Celebration's new hardware.

- Set up AWS-related configurations for Celebration.

- Online all servers!

All servers on freedom only i hope? Epic is not connected to freedom by any means, does that mean epic will be down too?

3 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

All servers on freedom only i hope? Epic is not connected to freedom by any means, does that mean epic will be down too?

Epic party on epic! BYOL (bring your own lag). Shirt and tie not required.

54 minutes ago, CreZ said:

Epic party on epic! BYOL (bring your own lag). Shirt and tie not required.

Where to buy one of these..

1 hour ago, Skatyna said:

They may not be connected via boat routes, but they are connected via portals. As such they will also be down as well.

2 hours ago, Zarame said:

5h sleep bonus i assume

This will depend on how it goes. If we're within the 2 hours of scheduled downtime, there will not be sleep bonus. If we see massive instability and have to reboot servers multiple times to rectify, then we will discuss sleep bonus.

• Like 1

I can see it now: "Hey, servers are up, I just logged in!"  everyone swarms to their clients to try....

Thanks so very much for this! Even if it is on April 1st. Please don't turn us into gnomes.

power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools power tools 

also i hope its the end of cele lag at long last but yaaay now we know when we get to be guinea pigs i look forward to it and i mean it i really do i want to see how well wurm will work on aws with the work you guys have done

Although I don't really think it could make things much worse than it has been lately (far as lag or whatnot), I am still a little hesitant about being on the first server to get transferred....

Edited by Atheline
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Atheline said:

Although I don't really think it could make things much worse than it has been lately (far as lag or whatnot), I am still a little hesitant about being on the first server to get transferred....

Feeling and hoping with you. Recent troubles are easing the pain of being the guinea pig a bit :) .. let us hope for the best.

9 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

since the downtime will be negatively impacting our april fools, can we get a week of power tool sounds as compensation

That is actually a good suggestion for april fools :) 

Good luck with the migration devs. Don't delete our characters :D

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Power tools and gnomes was top tier, everything else has been pretty meh. Can we get a week of both?

7 hours ago, elentari said:

Good luck with the migration devs. Don't delete our characters :D

Don't jinx it 😜

14 hours ago, Atheline said:

You can always watch it from the outside by just pulling up an anchor in time...

The server's not open yet. If it stays closed much longer I'm going to sue the staff of Wurm because I'm paying for this!

Joking. If someone actually said that it would be silly.

8 minutes ago, Scorchy said:

The server's not open yet. If it stays closed much longer I'm going to sue the staff of Wurm because I'm paying for this!

Joking. If someone actually said that it would be silly.

Another hour to go before we can think about sueing 😉

Edited by SweetSusie

Servers are online now. Let's see how we do!

• Like 4