Sign in to follow this  
Thorvar

Pelts for newbies

So I've been back around again and I've heard that we're getting ready for Steam release with the new quality scaling and zero fail rate for basic items.

As a newbie (again) I thought that it's a very good way to make new people stay because it scales down the difficulty of starting, but soon after the problem of getting a pelt showed up, and so I thought that maybe new toons should have 10ql pelts for starters to make their entrance a little softer?

Edited by Thorvar

Pelts aren't used in crafting at all, only improving, so I don't truly think they qualify as a newbie *starter* item.

However, since they are critical in a new player getting established, one possible solution might be for pelts to be able to go into crates or Bulk Storage Bins.

This would allow more established players to have more as spares, and thus be very open to giving their spares away to new players just starting to get established.

Yes, in the distant past there was a short time, a matter of a couple weeks or so, that pelts could go into BSBs (crates weren't around back then) and the size differences created a problem with the putting the pelt in a BSB splitting singles into multiples of the same QL.

Perhaps in these days development staff could come up with a nice solution to get around this issue and allow pelts into bins?  I'd expect that would help with the poster's issue.  Currently, since they can't be stored in bins, these extra pelts tend to be sold to the deed token for a tiny few iron coins or sit around left to rot if no one's immediately in sight that the player knows to give it away to.

11 minutes ago, Tristanc said:

Pelts aren't used in crafting at all, only improving, so I don't truly think they qualify as a newbie *starter* item.

So pickAxes is not used it crafting either so they should not qualify as "a newbie *starter* item."

3 hours ago, KillerSpike said:

So pickAxes is not used it crafting either so they should not qualify as "a newbie *starter* item."

Pickaxes are used in resource-gathering, a prime newbie need that's a prerequisite for crafting.  What resources are gathered by or created by pelts?

Edited by Tristanc

My suggestion is:

Ask in Freedom chat. Someone *always* has a pelt to spare :) 

28 minutes ago, neopherus said:

My suggestion is:

Ask in Freedom chat. Someone *always* has a pelt to spare :) 

And its a bad suggestion.

On steam server on Steam release no one will have pelts, because it will be new server, not connected with others.

18 minutes ago, Votip said:

And its a bad suggestion.

On steam server on Steam release no one will have pelts, because it will be new server, not connected with others.

Fair point. However, everyone in the history of Wurm, started out with no pelt. The animals you get them from are the easiest ones to kill as well. It won't take long before the steam-ers are stacked with pelts when the game drops on Steam, as people are today.

wurm's not a game about creation.. you have to maintain things.. and lets see.. your tools which you use to gather or create are what? made of metal or wood.. lets see.. smithing and carpentry and all skills below the 2 mentioned parent skills almost without exception.. require what - a pelt..

raise pelt creature spawn rates in first 1-2 months of the server instead of bears/wolves/.. get more mountain lions and rats or something else.. more appropriate for the difficulty to slaughter it..

or give noobs with below 10-20 butchering skill the ability to always(100%?) get some pelt.. ql10-50 -> this could lead to many pelts just decaying for a long time on the servers.. make it so pelts on the ground or piles rot faster if they are not in a building or container

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 7:31 AM, Finnn said:

raise pelt creature spawn rates in first 1-2 months of the server instead of bears/wolves/.. get more mountain lions and rats or something else.. more appropriate for the difficulty to slaughter it..

Or zonalize the creature spawns.  This already happens somewhat with other creatures (crocodiles, tortoises, scorpions) so have the area near starter towns spawn more rats & wildcats, with wolves not far away and keep the bears and other tougher agros spawning further from the starter towns.  

That way the starter town would not just be like a walled city where everything is provided within the walls but step outside and it's lions, tigers and bears, oh my!  It would be the safest place, with the safety dropping off as you move further away.  Newbies could stay in town for a couple of days, venture into the close surrounds to get a taste of risks while still being able to supply at the town, and when they are ready venture out into the wilds.

• Like 3

It would be a good idea to give them a starting 30 ql pelt.

First time I played many years ago I recall dying to a dog, mostly because I didnt understand how the fighting system worked. I didn't know back then you can't get a pelt off a bear, or a wolf, since in RL you can get pelts off pretty much any mammal.

Point is, I asked for a pelt and a nice player gave me a spare he had.

not sure if it can be compared but I was thinking how hard it was to get a pelt when Jackal started. so on a new server it will probably be the same scenario

Took me weeks to get any pelt. Until gatwick gave me one.rat/cat/lion did not spawn that often back then either

Another option is to add a way to make something that functions as a low quality pelt. Perhaps make it so you can also do the polish imp action with a piece of cloth, with an appropriate effectiveness penalty? We'd still all want pelts but if someone is ever in a situation where they can't get one, they can at least do *something*.

• Like 2

unsure how I got my first pelt either foudn 1 laying around or used tower guards to wreck a mt.lion for me.. I had terrible skill and armor/weapon.. during the times of 10ql gear and no armor, living next to already built guard tower.. provides good amount of hide/pelt/clubs.. and oh gawd damm furs..(most common and least useless material from creatures in wurm)

• Like 1

i dont get it... Even a fresh, i mean mega fresh newbie that has never ever yet completed an action in wurm can simply walk up to a wild cat/lion/rat that are abundant everywhere and kill it with the starting gear at ease. Then using the same starter hatchet to butcher it and get a pelt. Ok, maybe will fail to produce a pelt at 1st go, but kill 2-4 rats and you defo have a pelt. Whats the bloody issue with them? forgetting to equip newbie gear that you cant kill them?

It vastly depends if you manage to find a creature that can give you a pelt and isn't surrounded by a lot of trolls. Besides, there's no combat tutorial or any hint on how you can acquire a pelt off the bat. Mostly luck.

Logic would dictate pelts can be given by wolves or bears right? Well Wogic tells you you're wrong. It's too much RNG for something simple.

Maybe the answer is two fold.

1. Make pelts drop off more creatures.
2. Increase the chance for pelts to be produced even when not using a butchering knife.

But I'm all for being able to drop pelts in BSBs again. If the issues was it spilt a pelt into to many/small pieces. then just increase the chunk size that a bsb splits to.

• Like 1

I like the idea of cotton used as a pelt maybe with high failure rate and maybe takes high damage

On 4/3/2020 at 1:18 PM, Ohana said:

Maybe the answer is two fold.

1. Make pelts drop off more creatures.
2. Increase the chance for pelts to be produced even when not using a butchering knife.

But I'm all for being able to drop pelts in BSBs again. If the issues was it spilt a pelt into to many/small pieces. then just increase the chunk size that a bsb splits to.

Maybe set pelts up like newbie bulks? 100% chance to get one, but a "failure" is capped at your butchering skill.

On 3/29/2020 at 5:31 PM, Finnn said:

As one who started WURM with only a knife and flint, I don't think we need more starter items (other than perhaps a few extra free Sleep Bonus  events).   For the Steam release I really like the idea of increasing Pelt creatures for a period of time.   This would really help progress the initial player base.     

For a limited time only on the Steam release server, have designated areas ("rat swamp" or "cat hill") where a GM could spawn a few dozen of these "pelt producing" creatures when they feel the supply is low.   

I remember when I started there was an influx of new people on Indy and it was pretty hard finding pelts at the time. 

• Like 1

I recall it was not that easy with pelts. When I started, I killed practically every dog in my neighbourhood (poor things), also a few cats (hated that even more), a mountain lion or two, but it took weeks until I successfully butchered my first pelt. For some stubbornness, I did not want to get one donated. And there was no rat in my region (Lake Vrock area).

On Jackal, the situation was worse insofar as there were the rift beasts patrolling the area so it was even harder to get a lootable corpse, and there was a lot of competiton.

In general I think that somewhat increasing the newbie chance to successfully butcher a pelt (albeit at low ql maybe) together with sufficient rats, cats, and dogs in the area, could settle the problem. Mind that it will take a bit until there are guard towers in sufficient numbers on the new servers.

i still feel that new servers is short-term gain but huge long term loss... there is very little benefit for new players to start on their own dedicated server... steam or otherwise the pelt situation would be no different on a new server than jackal... existing players will flock there on release day and new steam players would trickle in later, 90% of the population will just be existing players and we already have a jackal server that is already under-utilized. pelts are a recurring problem no matter the server, and perhaps adding a 10ql pelt to trader for a few copper coins would be more beneficial long-term rather than just spawning hundreds of mobs or even making pelts easier to obtain, which could and probably would have negative endgame effects... making wurm easier is never the answer, its a survival game for a reason...