Sign in to follow this  
Scorchy

How do I find iron veins as a newbie?

How do I find iron veins as a newbie? I can't find anywhere that I can open a mine and I can't dig one in the ground because I don't have high enough digging.

Welcome to Wurm Online, Scorchy.

Your question is best answered here: https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Your_first_days_in_Wurm_Online#How_do_I_get_iron.3F

"Finding iron during your first days is important, because you will need it for many items you want to craft. There are several ways to get iron: you can either forage on grass tiles or rummage on rock tiles with a chance of finding “iron rocks”, which can then be smelted into iron lumps. Or you can use an underground mine to find an iron vein, which will give you iron ore when you mine it using your pickaxe. Most of the starter towns have public iron mines in their neighbourhood – just walk around and explore the surroundings until you find an open mine entrance with a sign saying “Public mine”. Walk inside and carefully study the tunnel walls until you find a wall segment that looks different. Right-click the wall, and if it says “Iron vein” you can use your pickaxe to mine pieces of iron ore. Then use a campfire or a forge to smelt them into iron lumps."

Later you will want to prospect for iron (https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Prospecting) and open your own mine.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask in CA HELP chat. Good luck!

3 hours ago, Scorchy said:

How do I find iron veins as a newbie? I can't find anywhere that I can open a mine and I can't dig one in the ground because I don't have high enough digging.

You actually CAN.. as a free to play user.. limit is 20 skill, and digging slope limit is based on skill times 3 - meaning 60 slope holes. It's not that hard to get 10 digging, unsure how much time it takes to get to 20.. but first 10 were just a few minutes of work(unless I've forgotten what a hell it could be huh).

You can use the ramp way if you've made a house and have NO mountain close by and really want a mine where you are.. by digging a spiral ramp and limit the slope going down to ~26 I think(I HATE TERRAFORMING, unsure what slope makes you slide and lose ground when stepping on such); With the spiral ramp.. you can go 1 tile lower each 26 steps.. eventually reaching rock tile and opening a mine there.

Problem is... as a new character and low skills - each action takes  A LOT OF TIME, and that's quite a lot of work considering that time.

I'd recommend if you can - go to close by mountain with opened mine with iron vein and use that at the start, later make your own close to your house, with or without a mountain next to your house.. it's a bit of work and time that you'll have to spend on (maybe digging), mostly mining and some prospecting.. you probably do not have high prospecting skill as it's not very useful besides finding metal veins/rocksalt/flint, that will additionally slow you down as you can not prospect far from where you are.. making you mine more(and you already do that slow).

At the end of the project you have, you'll definitely enjoy your work though :)

Use the tips from Yaga, do not use campfire to smelt lumps if you want high QL iron(campfire lowers QL of the ore you smelt, it's bad later.. but at the start to just make items with it.. works just great if you do not have a forge or smelter)

1 hour ago, Sklo:D said:

The best method in my opinion is to use https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Analyse

But not as a newbie

On most servers, there are public mines around or near the starter towns (server capitals). There is practically always an iron vein.

Edited by Ekcin

As a brand-new newbie, using 'rummage' on a rock tile is by far the easiest way.  You have a fairly good chance of finding some 'iron rocks' to smelt into iron lumps in a fire (forge is better if you find a public one).  The rummage action needs no tools. Alot of what you find will be low quality stone shards, which you can use or drop if you want, but the odds of finding those iron rocks isn't bad.

Just make sure you rummage on different tiles as it's like botanizing and foraging where a tile will need time to pass (a day?) before you or any other can get something from it.

• Like 1

Actually I'd say as a "brand-new" newbie the easiest thing is to walk south of the token in haven's landing and make use of the mine thats there full of iron veins for doing the tutorial. Once you've left there then foraging/rummaging, finding an already existing or public mine, or surface prospecting in order of relative difficulty.