Sign in to follow this  
Skatyna

exodus testing server

Since every patch that comes out is pretty much bugged (and i get that - noone tests it be4 patching) i came up with a solution. Since exodus is the most populated server,  we can make it a test server meaning that the new patch firstly is applied to exodus ONLY, so they can reassess all that is bugged/became bugged and then in a week, when the hotfix comes out the rest of the servers could be patched bug-free. That would really upset a lot less ppl playing on all servers and everyone who wants an early eye on what the new patch has to offer can sail to exodus pre-patch to experience that first hand. As i said doing so wurm would have beta testers that want it, while the ones who want to play as much bug-free as possible could still play on other servers.

• Like 2

Absolutely, let's move all the buggy and glitchy stuff to Exodus and shove the problems off on them.  Or, and maybe I'm just not thinking clearly, we could not do that.

11 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

Or, and maybe I'm just not thinking clearly

You are not thinking clearly. Its like coronavirus, we can either contain it in one server, or spread it all across all servers. i prefer to contain bugs and glitches. 

Edited by Skatyna

There is a public test server though? I'm not sure how to join it, or if it's even up at all times, but I never saw any "PTR Patch live" announcement of sorts either; so if anything devs could involve the playerbase more proactively on whatever is going on there, deploying each patch there a few days before official release and making a forum announcement.

But Exodus is where many had made their homes in a production level environment for the last years, not a good idea to just pull the rug from underneath their feet for something that precisely exists for this purpose (but may not be optimally utilized at the moment).

Edit: Unless the whole idea is to have something in between production and testing stage, where Exodus is treated as a permanent server with increased "risk". It can actually be a good thing to test a patch in a "real environment" first because some things don't show up in a testing environment for several reasons.

Edited by Flubb

Just now, Flubb said:

But Exodus is where many had made their homes in a production level environment for the last years, not a good idea to just pull the rug from underneath their feet for something that precisely exists for this purpose (but may not be optimally utilized at the moment).

But those patches will be applied to Exodus anyway. I understand that suggestion is about applying patches to the big server first, so people would find bugs quicker, less harm for other servers.

I doubt many people would test things on PTR servers.

3 minutes ago, Flubb said:

There is a public test server though? I'm not sure how to join it, or if it's even up at all times, but I never saw any "PTR Patch live" announcement of sorts either; so if anything devs could involve the playerbase more proactively on whatever is going on there, deploying each patch there a few days before official release and making a forum announcement.

the test server was there for years. the problem with it is that no one ever properly test things there. reason is simple - what happens on a test server stays at the test server: no skills/items transfer etc. Wurm has also never ever had full time beta testers too, so its just a waste of time. the only reason its there i guess is only for devs themselves to check if the game runs, but they do not go into extensive hours themselves testing every single aspect of the game be4 patching it live. So once again, live test server is needed, where player base could test. hell, can even rotate the test server every few month, like 3 months on exodus, 3 months on indi etc. but only patch one server, then when reported issues are hot fixed - run the patch live. 

22 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

You are not thinking clearly. Its like coronavirus, we can either contain it in one server, or spread it all across all servers. i prefer to contain bugs and glitches. 

Problem you have is, you never test for bugs on a public server, you use a test server.  They already have a test server, just that they rely on the the Public to use it to test... Catch 22.  They need professional bug testers, people that are paid for that sort of thing.  I guess it shows my age, cause that fell out of fashion in the very early 2000's sadly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

But those patches will be applied to Exodus anyway. I understand that suggestion is about applying patches to the big server first, so people would find bugs quicker, less harm for other servers.

I doubt many people would test things on PTR servers.

Then it seems more like a nomenclature issue, because "testing server" sounds more like an ephemeral environment without any guarantees over it's permanence or significance to the service provided. More like the "bleeding edge server". Perhaps I'm nitpicking there. But mulling over it, it makes sense to have a live testing stage server.

11 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

hell, can even rotate the test server every few month, like 3 months on exodus, 3 months on indi etc.

Good points. Might be a reason for the devs to not bother with a PTR, and lack of involvement might be just that. And with a rotating system, no server is relegated to being the lab rat alone.

There is also a good reason the test client is separate though...because it has a different codebase. What would happen to travel between servers? Is the current guinea pig just cut off? How does the launcher that joins into the cluster even differentiate wether to pull the current update or not, the moment you try to log in a character that is on the current LTS? And it downgrades the client when you start a toon on a different server? That would screw over running multiple clients because it cannot patch while a client is running.

I get why it would make sense on paper, but it sounds like a pain in the arse just in terms of code maintenance and logistics if you think the implications of a heterogeneous codebase in an interconnected server cluster through.

Edited by Flubb

How exodus would look like after 2 months

we-are-screwed-3.jpg

• Like 2

Don't they though? Ever since the death of the waterfall model production has just become another testing ground where code goes after a basic smoke/regression. Even more so in the world of continuous deployment...

22 minutes ago, CreZ said:

Don't they though? Ever since the death of the waterfall model production has just become another testing ground where code goes after a basic smoke/regression. Even more so in the world of continuous deployment...

Perhaps but CodeClub or whatever they're called now definitely doesn't seem to set up to support deployments like that.

12 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

exodus most populated server?

He so obviously meant least populated server. 😬