Sign in to follow this  
dlinacre

best way to level HFC?

So according to my character I've been playing Wurm on and off for around 8 years, but my Hot Food Cooking is still abysmal at around 26 or so. I usually just make 3 meals (pumpkin, potato and meat) every other day or so. Sometimes I get a skill tick, sometimes I don't.

What's the best food / recipe - and the best method - to gain some skill? I tried a very small bulk cooking session the other day and made around 15 meals but didn't even get a single skill tick!

Thanks,

Daeron

Edited by dlinacre
grammar

The absolut best way is to have around 10 forges filled with backpacks.

Inside the backpacks you put 37 pans, and then you fill each pan with 1 meat , 1 vegggie the panfilling method (do a youtube on how you do it)
Light them all at the same time and you're 90 within a day.

Take it from someone who has done it a few times.

A8SrsHM.jpg

Edited by Sn00
  • Like 2

I have found that I get more skill ticks making breakfasts from sliced bread than from a meal. You also use a lot less ingredients and gain baking skills. Take a grain (wheat, oat, barley or rye), make flour (grindstone), make dough (water), bake it into bread (baking stone), slice the bread (knife), and put 1 slice into a bowl and make a breakfast. You get 6 breakfasts from one grain.

I did a test and made 100 meals using the pan filling method and 100 breakfasts using the above method, and gained more HFC from the 100 breakfasts, plus I gained baking skills. You can, I believe, use multiple forges with backpacks filled with baking stones and bowls to scale that up.

• Like 2

f78ec10fa6d705a1e1148bbf80534ed4.png

<.<' too lazy to 100 hfc, unsure if I want to spend a weekend-week on it(last time I thought it'd take a weekend - took 2 months but... here I'm closer)

Both ideas are good, not perfect but good in their own way.

Pick your poison, wont be spoiling why and how the one's ... than the other, just try either or both.

Thanks for the tips! Looks like I have a lot of backpack crafting ahead of me...

backpacks aren't even in the equation.. you'll need more pans/stones, forges and tons of ingredients to cook or prepare in some way, having the forges improved a bit wont be a bad idea.. things should cook faster.. but with the roulette wurm cooking timers.. do not just take my word for the fast cooking.., you'll need some storage for the tons of food you're about to cook and toss.. somewhere

1 way to get rid of it.. is if you have too much spare time.. use the cooked items to level up your taming skill on a dog/pig/anything eating what you've cooked (actions do take some time and you'll have thousands of cooked items.. unless you're really patient.. this is not a fast way to get rid of the cooked food; prepare to dump some or just leave it take some damage.. :))

• Like 2

Yeah. Spamming the pans is the worst part of setting this up for sure.

You can make 7 to 10 forges in 30 min, the backpacks in like 30-45 but then it will take you a few days to get the 10k pans done.

You can always ask if you can use someone else's setup, if I still had mine I'd offer you to spend a week or two there.

On 3/25/2020 at 3:47 AM, Sn00 said:

10 forges filled with backpacks.

Inside the backpacks you put 37 pans...
Light them all at the same time

@Sn00correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can fit six (6) seven (7) backpacks in a single forge -- just to clarify what "filled with backpacks" means. (We stored the sets of backpacks in coffins on deed to avoid the extra decay inside a forge. Of course, that was before the large storage shelves.)

Sn00 also didn't explicitly mention having Sleep Bonus on shortly after you light the ten (10) forges (or slightly before, if you want to skill your Firemaking a little more). That's the point of lighting all the forges at the same time (for @dlinacre's benefit). (You get no benefit from having Sleep Bonus on when filling the pans.) Also, in my much-more-limited experience compared to Sn00, meals are done cooking in about 5 10 minutes. Watching my Skills window is a little like cooking popcorn: a few ticks, then a few more, then an increasing rush that tapers off and, finally, the occasional tick as the last few meals cook.

Quick math (as much for my benefit as anyone's): 10 forges x 7 backpacks x 37 pans = 2590 pans.

Also, 2590 pans x 2.5 kg iron = 6475 kg iron (assuming zero failures)

Edited by Kohle
Incorporating @Sn00's and @Finnn's corrections, along with the resulting math

2 hours ago, Kohle said:

@Snoo correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can fit six (6) backpacks in a single forge

My head says 7 but it's been a while since I did it so it might be 6.

it's 7 backpacks per forge.. you can even fit a few pans in the forge itself I think.. but that extra clicking management sucks.

You could try on 1 forge.. if size rune gets you to get in 1 more backpack..(by chance.. maybe); but over all.. rather than making 7x runes and to apply them successfully, it's easier to make 1 more forge and light it instead..

Generally.. unless you want the firemaking.. do not start sleep bonus until you have lit at least 10-15 forges(if you do it quickly), once all are lit.. GO DO SOMETHING in that time.. you can leave your skills tab or have skills-tracker ON -> showing your cooking/hfc/whatever, but.. while the sleep bonus is on.. you can do anything else and get the skill all the same, make more use of your sleep bonus.

I was doing about ~1000 panfillings for ~15min(first load, maybe 2nd-3rd get same faster or slower time, but after that I just start to find myself distractions, breaks etc.. and chat in PM or Global), this quickly turns into a boring chore and kills your hand/fingers/eyes. Cooking itself takes ~10minutes once cooker is lit(forge QL matters; do not improve QL of pans besides them not decaying overnight/week/month).. to burn it all 9-12min than you can snuff the forges, and start unloading the cooked food and start panfilling again....   most important part.. just be sure that nobody, neither your alt or friend, etc picks up pans from the forges.. that will give skill to them, the person placing the pan in the forge gets the skill when something is cooked.(you can get helpers, just if they pick up pans.. chop their heads.. *ughm*.. hands .. well maybe don't do that .. covid's not in the game. 

This is not the perfect setup, it's just the vanilla, but it will work well for you, if you get more intereted and ask people, get more info, collect tips, you'll come up with ways to double-quadruple your gains, besides that.. some things remain.. it's a lot of work, you'll eventually hate it.. but still do more.. to get some higher ML.. no other alternative for that, and you'll also get some soul depth I think.. for rune making or applying whatever it was... comes from cooking stuff also.. taming, or whatever other use you find for the spare end product.

I stop.. I'll spill the beans, lets leave the secrets for you to hunt, it's part of the game :X

good luck

• Like 1

Yeah I figured. I use to have pretty good memory when it comes to random facts as this.

Finnn is correct here.

I also had the luxury of someone that emptied my forges for me for a while since he needed taming and used the meals to tame (protip?)

On 3/25/2020 at 4:21 PM, DaletheGood said:

I have found that I get more skill ticks making breakfasts from sliced bread than from a meal. You also use a lot less ingredients and gain baking skills. Take a grain (wheat, oat, barley or rye), make flour (grindstone), make dough (water), bake it into bread (baking stone), slice the bread (knife), and put 1 slice into a bowl and make a breakfast. You get 6 breakfasts from one grain.

I did a test and made 100 meals using the pan filling method and 100 breakfasts using the above method, and gained more HFC from the 100 breakfasts, plus I gained baking skills. You can, I believe, use multiple forges with backpacks filled with baking stones and bowls to scale that up.

I know this is a very old thread but i've only just got around to doing cooking. Searching Google led me to this thread on how to grind cooking skills and this tip has suited me better so far, not only is hot food cooking going up but baking as well as you say. Put sleep bonus on and went up just over 10 skill on 30 bread so far.

Only thing I was annoyed about was forges would not cook bread in baking stone, must have changed since I guess. It looks like it has to be in the oven now and you can't fit many things into oven only 5 baking stones per backpack I think. I prefer this method though, I will go crazy doing all those thousands of pans. 🤣

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DannyUK said:

I prefer this method though, I will go crazy doing all those thousands of pans.

You'll also use thousands and thousands less material. It's been a couple years since I did any HFC, but I remember just using 6-7 ovens and splitting them fairly evenly between ones filled with baking stones and ones filled with bowls. It was constant activity trying to keep them all running, between the making of the dough, baking the bread, cutting it into slices and then toast and croutons and then dropping them in the bowls and emptying those, no time to relax, for sure :)  Best of luck on your journey :)

• Like 2

Agreed, this thread is a god send and needs more visibility, old or not.

Any suggestions on where to put the bowls, backpack, and stones in between grind sessions?

Anyone else have more modern cooking tips? 

1 hour ago, MrCak said:

Any suggestions on where to put the bowls, backpack, and stones in between grind sessions?

Might not be the most efficient way, but I use coffins to keep all the kitchen implements I've gathered over time. Gotta go repair all that stuff every now and then, but you get good repair skill out of it.

On 8/10/2022 at 9:42 PM, DannyUK said:

Only thing I was annoyed about was forges would not cook bread in baking stone, must have changed since I guess. It looks like it has to be in the oven now and you can't fit many things into oven only 5 baking stones per backpack I think. I prefer this method though, I will go crazy doing all those thousands of pans. 🤣

Try baking stones inside the forges. No backpacks.

On 8/25/2022 at 4:34 PM, MrCak said:

I put mine inside of 30 large amphoras in an amphora rack. It fits 20 baking stones (or 30 pottery bowls) in each amphora for a total of 600 baking stones (or 900 pottery bowls).

Could also try an Large storage unit, which can hold 100 baking stones per shelf for a total of 300 baking stones.

Could also use a coffin, as suggested above, but I'd only use those if you're struggling to make the other storage options due to low skill or lack of friends since a coffin can only hold 38 baking stones.

Edited by Borstaskor