Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

Saltwater distillation

Separate salt from salty water in Wurm is not sensible.  Currently, if I understand it correctly, one can boil salty water in a cauldron and recover both salt and water separately.   I would understand boiling it dry and recovering salt only, but separating and recovering the two is a distillation process, and Wurm does have stills with their 2 containers, for the distillate and the residue.  I would suggest that distilling water allows recovery of both salt and water, but simply boiling in a cauldron should result in zero water.

Of course, this would all be more relevant if salty water was in some fashion different to fresh water apart from the ability to recover salt.  For example, salty water should be unable to fill the thirst bar fully, or should reduce stamina or nutrition or hunger bars.  On the other hand, it might be better at tempering.  It would be good to have a dynamic where fresh water has a reason for existing beyond "you can't boil it for salt" and salt water has a better reason than "you can boil it for salt".

• Like 2

I'm 50/50 on this one. Finding a rocksalt vein is not that difficult and once you mine and grind one single veins , that's around 400 salt pieces that will last you for a very long time.

It would be nice if salt gave more value to food, but it''s not as valuable in wurm as it once was in history.

it's ~hard if you cook for bunch of alts or a village and you often use salt.. than it's borderline.. 'hard' to get enough of it..

I LIKE the option to be able to get salt by boiling water; it pretty much gives you nothing no skill or more than annoying action to spill the water to get rid of it... but you can also fill it in a tub/oil barrel for smithing/cooking/etc.. ( not sure if cooking even cares if water is normal or salty, probably not - and I'd say I'm a fan of not overcomplicating things by forcing extra actions to that)

There's a line you don't want to cross when playing a game and striving to achieve realism.. at some point.. things just stop being fun.

Stills are terrible.. with the amount you need to make, improve ql, light up(kindlings, tons of them..) than tons of fuel.. only 1 or 2 are decent to cap it.. and than comes the refueling at unknown time.. unless you time it.... and the additional management of emptying and refilling liquids destiled with not etc.. that I call too much micromanagement.. (sure if I wanted to be alcohol maker and RP the role.. great but.. I just want either beverages skill or the alcohol to stockpile for the ages..)

Um.. no, idea might be cool for realism.. but it will be too much... 

You might think you do like it.. but imagine being without fresh water somewhere far from civilization.. you forgot to fill your cart/wagon's barrel or you're on a horse/barefoot.. and all you have is now an empty waterskin/jar/etc... or not even that...

... you're right at the sea/ocean/lake/etc.. and all you can do is... drink some salt water and get some debuff to additionally ruin your situation, not fun.. I'd not like to play miserable online or 'always bring a barrel/bucket of destiled water with you', there's a reason we do not carry a house with us... weight affects your movement, thirst goes down fast.. and that also affects your stamina.. stamina affects most of the things you do.. and that makes your play miserable..

Should we mess with that? I do not see benefit of this.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

It would be good to have a dynamic where fresh water has a reason for existing beyond "you can't boil it for salt" and salt water has a better reason than "you can boil it for salt".

Maybe that's the upshot of this.  Somehow it feels, incomplete.  

I know IRL I could make a crude still out of an open vessel (like a cauldron, but probably a kero tin) and some metal sheet.  Basically something to cause evaporation and something to cause condensation.  Alcohol etc can be tricky but distilling water is almost a "no technical skill required" scenario.  

For a debuff, I would say it should be slight, but cumulative, and offset for instance by drinking fresh water - and slow recovery over time anyway.  A bit like injury and the stamina bar, offset by treatments and slow recovery over time.  Drinking the water shouldn't be a problem unless it is done repeatedly.