Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

Additional options for timber houses

The most basic house form - a log cabin.  Should be buildable with only logs, in the way that palisades are built with only felled trees. (Maybe pegs as well, but essentially an all-timber construction, without nails etc).

The next most basic, weatherboards (basically horizontal planks with each lapped over the one below - just in case that is a regional term).  A very basic rustic form is posts made from logs planted in the ground and the boards nailed (or sometimes wired) to the posts.  Roof can be shingles, or more boards.

These would both be resource intensive, but it is the most readily available resource in the game (after water) and it would require little in the way of tools (hatchet for the logs, carving knife to make a mallet & pegs if needed and in the second case a saw to make planks).  It would need only basic skills of woodcutting and maybe carpentry.  

New players could get a basic shelter up quite quickly, which might make them feel more invested in the game.  

• Like 1

So, should I continue this thread or necro that one?  I don't really mind either way.  

Scratch that, I already necroed it.  But will continue this one anyway.

Aha!  That thread has a pasted link to an earlier one again, only a couple of weeks earlier.  It is interesting that the dev feedback was that it was being considered and would probably be implemented at some point.  We obviously haven't yet reached Some Point.