The Great Valley 2x 1.5x Modded 4K Map

The Great Valley

A 2x Skill, 1.5x Action Modded PvE Server

regular-banner-3.pngregular-banner-3.pngbanner-3.png

⚠️Rules & Guidelines⚠️

📜Website📜

Our Map

F.A.Q

The Great Valley offers a unique survival experience.

We offer a 4K custom map to explore, shape and tame.

Every structure, road and tower is player-made with absolutely NO GM intervention involved!

Deeds and Upkeep are enabled to encourage player trading and economy interaction.
Abandoned Deeds can and will auto-disband at the end of Upkeep funds! GM intervention will not occur with Deeds or their properties unless deemed a server/game bug! This means no fear of your Deed being forcefully removed if you take a Hiatus for a while but stock up on Silvers and Gold. 

Features & Settings:

• 2x Skill & 1.5 Action
  • 35K Max Creatures - 65% Aggressive Creatures
  • 4K Custom Map
  • 4-7 Day Crop Harvest
  • Unrestricted Priests
  • Server Events!
  • Traders Enabled
  • Bounties
  • Free Premium
  • Deed Costs & Upkeep
    • 1 Deed per Steam ID
  • 51 Minimum Mining Hits

Start With:

• Characteristics: 20
  • Mind Logic: 20
  • Body Control: 20
  • Fight Skill: 10
  • Overall: 1
  • Starter Gear:
    • Leather Armor
    • Shield
    • Sword
    • Bowl
    • Rope
    • Compass
    • Toolbelt
    • Backpack
    • Deed Stake
    • Basic Tools

Mods:

Spoiler
  1. Announcer
    • Server-wide Announcements of player login & logout
  2. D.U.S.K Combat
  3. Survival Mod
    • Drinking Sea Water can give you water-bourne illnesses
      • Boil Water to prevent sickness
      • Fountains are safe!
    • Crops have growing Seasons
      • Out of Seasons Crops simply don't grow
  4. Fishy Tweaks
  5. Spell Mod
    • No Priest Restrictions!
  6. Salve Mod
    • Shows the "Power" of your Healing Covers right in their name.
  7. Sacrifice Mod
    • A 1 in 50 Chance for a rare item to award a bone of the same rarity, instead of the usual benefits.
  8. Mini-Pets
    • Non-Combat Pets that follow you around, do not fight and will not be attacked by other creatures and players.
  9. Inbreed Warning
    • Receive a warning when attempting to breed related animals
  10. Highway Portals
    • Player Craft-able Portals that allow teleportation between deeds on the same highway network
  11. Hitch Limits
    • Allows more Creatures to be hitched to Carts & Wagons
  12. Hitching Post
    • Hitch your Animals so they do not wander away.
  13. Fire Burn Time
    • Displays Burn Time on Examine.
      • [04:17:46] It will not start to fade for about 51 minutes and 18 seconds.
  14. Better Dig
    • Dig to/from Cart, Crate and Tile
  15. Kingdom Items
    • All PMK Wagons, Banners and Flags are craftable.
  16. Tent Sleep
    • Enables Sleeping in Tents, including Sleep Bonus!
  17. Vote Rewards!
    • Earn Coins for voting on Wurm-Unlimited.com
  18. Bounty
    • Receive Coins for mob kills!
  19. Timed Pay
    • Get paid while you play!
    • Earn Karma while you play!
  20. Event Portal
    • Use a Token to teleport to an Event Location!
      • Event Portals only place-able by GMs

Ago's Modloader is strongly suggested to see Hitching Posts and other Features properly!

Edited by Zera

34 minutes ago, atazs said:

Sounds pretty good. Is there a map? 

I've added a link to our World Map in the OP.

1. Is there a map that might show clay better? I cannot see any clay locations on the map but that could be due to not being great resolution. Looks like a good map otherwise. (are those small scattered white spots, perma-snow?) Is it based on one of the custom maps published here on the forums? (which allows for better examining for details like clay etc)

2. Understanding you can't be precise, is 'Coming Soon" most likely to mean a) later today b) sometime in the next 72 hours c) maybe possibly this week d) sometime this month.

3. Is starting area natural untouched wilderness (players can cooperate together there if they choose) or are there any startingresources (public mine with iron, clay & tar, templar guards/tower, etc)

4. Do crops rot? Is there a way to know when it is "off season" for crops?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 8:07 AM, Brash_Endeavors said:

1. Is there a map that might show clay better? I cannot see any clay locations on the map but that could be due to not being great resolution. Looks like a good map otherwise. (are those small scattered white spots, perma-snow?) Is it based on one of the custom maps published here on the forums? (which allows for better examining for details like clay etc)

2. Understanding you can't be precise, is 'Coming Soon" most likely to mean a) later today b) sometime in the next 72 hours c) maybe possibly this week d) sometime this month.

3. Is starting area natural untouched wilderness (players can cooperate together there if they choose) or are there any startingresources (public mine with iron, clay & tar, templar guards/tower, etc)

4. Do crops rot? Is there a way to know when it is "off season" for crops?

1. Unfortunately that is the only Map I have available, and no. The Map is 100% unique and custom to the server, not based on any other map(s).

I promise there is clay and other resources, though I will try to get a better image posted when I can.

2. Sometime within the next 72 hours or so, knowing me I'll likely push it sometime today though because I am impatient and determined like that. Haha!

3. The entire map is untouched, meaning no starting areas such as public mines, roads, buildings, or anything.

And yes, there are locations of perma-snow on the map, randomly placed I'll admit.

Well, aside from where I've been play testing and beginning terraforming on the far-east coast that is.

4. Crops do Rot, if they aren't harvested in time you will wind up with nothing by weeds.
There is no way of telling when it is a particular season for a particular crop. Though we do encourage folks to share their findings on our forums for others!

Crops won't rot in their off-season (instead of growing), they just simply do not grow during that time.

Edited by Zera

That sounds good :) I am also the impatient sort so crossing my fingers it might go up today.

PS: reminds me of maps made by Acurapassion.

Do you want me to generate a map for you?

Because that... looks kinda bad.

At least, try gen a map with this: 

It gave me really nice results.  

Up to you however. 

Edited by atazs

1 hour ago, atazs said:

Do you want me to generate a map for you?

Because that... looks kinda bad.

At least, try gen a map with this: 

It gave me really nice results.  

Up to you however. 

I've used every generator out there and found one I liked the best.
It's all about preference when it comes to these sorts of things.

This map is fine, the only thing I wish I would've done differently is the trees, but they will spread with time just fine.

The biggest problem I found with THAT particular generator was that it wasn't an "Edit as you go" it was a One and Done sort of ordeal. Not my cup of tea, at all.

Nor was I a huge fan that That particular generator seemed to prefer a North vs South approach with the biomes, which again..Didn't sit right with me.

EDIT: It's funny, I see a lot of "It's bad" comments all over the internet, but no one ever explains why they feel something is "bad" in the first place.
How can one be expected to improve something if it's unknown where it needs improvement?

Edited by Zera

For me, a good map is a map where the biomes (and not just trees) doesnt consist of mere patches dotted around the map like they were put there with a brush, with basically nothing but empty grass wasteland in between while we wait for the trees to spread.

It annjoys me when people tell us to just wait for them to spread. We shouldn't have to wait anything 

A natural look, where the trees are naturally placed all troughout the map and not just in patches are the most crucial thing for me if i play on a server.

I also like a big variety of terrain with rivers, small islands/archipelagos and not just essentially a chunk of continent

Edited by atazs

The map is very "blobs of circles". It won't really spread naturally, it'll just blob into bigger weird circles.
The overall height map feels extremely weird. The inner center of the map is very mountainous overall but there's no natural peaks, just awkwardly flat super-mesas everywhere.

Look at something like JK-H, the only blobs are the strange in-the-sea generation of old wurm maps, and you see why a map like the one for your server doesn't look good: 
jenn002-map.png

Edited by paterso

some observations after playing for a while

1) no starter deed so no safe places

2) no 1 important because of not being able to ride horses and no foraging working yet so cannot even find cotton to heal up with

I nearly died to a hell hound which attacked me when I was choosing my chars looks etc, had to run, managed to gt away but anyone who hadn't played before would prob give up at that point.

Now have a bad wound from a bear that attacked when my position on the server wasn't updated secondary to major lag during the whole fight, and cannot forage anything to heal with so will log off till you change a few things or foraging works ... or just not come back, don't know yet

15 minutes ago, Rhianna said:

some observations after playing for a while

1) no starter deed so no safe places

2) no 1 important because of not being able to ride horses and no foraging working yet so cannot even find cotton to heal up with

I nearly died to a hell hound which attacked me when I was choosing my chars looks etc, had to run, managed to gt away but anyone who hadn't played before would prob give up at that point.

Now have a bad wound from a bear that attacked when my position on the server wasn't updated secondary to major lag during the whole fight, and cannot forage anything to heal with so will log off till you change a few things or foraging works ... or just not come back, don't know yet

To be fair, it was stated that no GM intervention was used on this map.
Which typically means there's no "Safe Zone". At least in the very early days anyway, considering no one is very skilled to even build a small hut let alone a safe place for spawning in.

While I agree it's annoying that foraging hasn't grown in yet, there are a few tiles where it is possible to do so. I've been lucky enough to find some cotton and other items on my trip across the map. o.o

Also, while I can understand that this is stupidly frustrating and my heart goes out to you for the struggle. This is how Wurm is, too. Right down to the Official Servers of Wurm Online, or at least how it used to be before it got soft.. Haha!

I will try to put some effort into getting something safe started for Spawning today, now that I've had some sleep. It's time to start working on skills anyway. :P
Be thankful the spawning in water bit had been fixed by the time you logged in, the rest of us were ocean bound on login. HAHA!

• Like 1

Zera, check the server folder for a file named "wurm.ini" and check for a line that says "CREATESEEDS=" -- if that is set to FALSE (default) then that needs to be changed to "CREATESEEDS=TRUE"(no quotes)  in order to pre-propagate foraging, otherwise it is a long hard wait until there is much to forage.

1 minute ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Zera, check the server folder for a file named "wurm.ini"

check for a line that says "CREATESEEDS=" -- if that is set to FALSE (default) then that needs to be changed to "CREATESEEDS=TRUE" in order to pre-propagate foraging, otherwise it is a long hard wait until there is much to forage.

Oh good eye, I'll look into that right away!

Currently also looking into this severe lag issue, as it is ridiculous that there is this much already. No one is even online!
It took me several moments just to unhitch the horse from my tent. o.o

• Like 1

Look into fog spiders, I cannot recall how they are removed I think it may be a mod:

All issues have been resolved at this time and we're enjoying quite the map thus far!

Still plenty of room available in this untamed world for anyone still seeking to leave their mark!

On 3/24/2020 at 3:24 AM, atazs said:

A natural look, where the trees are naturally placed all troughout the map and not just in patches are the most crucial thing for me if i play on a server.

Except trees all throughout the map would be decidedly unnatural.  I find trees trees and more endless trees very offputting.  IRL I have a heavily forrested 40Ha block and even with its "weed trees" (self seeding and growing thickly) just the other day I identified over half a dozen large clearings at least 30mx30m (i.e. in Wurm scale, 5 tiles by 5 tiles) with clear "corridors" throughout the entire property of 3 - 4 meters (i.e. 1 tile wide).  In real life, trees grow in patches, small ones are called thickets and copses and spinney, larger ones are woodlands and forests.  

Give me a variegated landscape any day.

• Like 2

First Official Update:

1. Foraging has been Fixed!
    • We can now Forage and Botonize all Tiles!
  2. Starter Deed In Place!
    • We now have a Starter Deed in-place, located on the Mid-West Island. Located at coordinates: *405, 1946*
    • This deed is set to allow ALL interactions by all players. Come and help build-up Spawn!
    • There is a Trader and a Bartender in-place already. (Will be moved as Spawn is built-up by players)
  3. Guard Towers may now be built, and stick!
    • Guard Towers were previously disappearing on Server-Restarts with lack of a Settlement on the map. This has been resolved with the placement of the Starting Deed.
  4. Severe Login Lag Gone!
  5. The following have had their timers restored:
    • Grooming
    • Imping
    • Breeding
    • Praying
    • Spells

Far too bumpy. Okay not far too bumpy. Some people like it that way. Probably should have done some erosion passes. A good map is hard to make and takes lots of time, not just running the random generator and calling it good. Sometimes you even have walk around on a partially completed map to see if you got it right then go back into the editor and 'fix' things. Another thing. It's rare anyone settles those huge inland spots. They typically stick to shores. So all of that space is wasted. Rivers connecting all of those lakes might have been a good thing. Ok for a first attempt. I would look at some existing servers to see what they have done and talk to the server owners for some tips. 

The mix of trees is ok but I'd turn down the tree spawn to something very low like 1 in 10000. If you don't the whole place will be wall to wall dense forest. 😉

Should probably let people butcher what they kill in noobtown. Bounty on bury or burn to keep down the corpses.

The messages in the events tab can cause lag when they appear.

Edited by Hanel

1 hour ago, Hanel said:

Far too bumpy. Okay not far too bumpy. Some people like it that way. Probably should have done some erosion passes. A good map is hard to make and takes lots of time, not just running the random generator and calling it good. Sometimes you even have walk around on a partially completed map to see if you got it right then go back into the editor and 'fix' things. Another thing. It's rare anyone settles those huge inland spots. They typically stick to shores. So all of that space is wasted. Rivers connecting all of those lakes might have been a good thing. Ok for a first attempt. I would look at some existing servers to see what they have done and talk to the server owners for some tips. 

The mix of trees is ok but I'd turn down the tree spawn to something very low like 1 in 10000. If you don't the whole place will be wall to wall dense forest. 😉

Should probably let people butcher what they kill in noobtown. Bounty on bury or burn to keep down the corpses.

The messages in the events tab can cause lag when they appear.

The map is the way it is on purpose. It was not meant to be easy to travel, nor intended to be able to sail a boat from one end to the other.

The map is not a "Dense forest" wall to wall either, again something that was intended was to have trees through-out the entire map at a realistic spread. Not patches of dense forest but forests none-the-less and some open plains areas.

Of course you have to travel to find these, you won't see them just hanging around Starter Deed.

I'm a little offended you think I just ran a program once and called it good to get the map that we use. If you spent a little more time exploring and actually playing on the map rather than just an hour or so tops, you'd see there was much more it than the little glimpse you got of it.

All access is available at Starter, including building, terraforming, etc; There are no restrictions in place at Starter Deed as it was intended to be "By the Players, For the Players". Which is why it's so dead and untouched right now.

What we have is not for everyone, and we were in way intended to be an "easy route" server, which is why Bounty on Kill (or Burn) is not something you'll see for every kill with us.

While I understand that apparently this is the norm on most servers, you will not find it that easy with us. I'm afraid you've actually got to put the time and effort in to earn coin with us.

13 hours ago, Zera said:

The map is the way it is on purpose. It was not meant to be easy to travel, nor intended to be able to sail a boat from one end to the other.

The map is not a "Dense forest" wall to wall either, again something that was intended was to have trees through-out the entire map at a realistic spread. Not patches of dense forest but forests none-the-less and some open plains areas.

Of course you have to travel to find these, you won't see them just hanging around Starter Deed.

I'm a little offended you think I just ran a program once and called it good to get the map that we use. If you spent a little more time exploring and actually playing on the map rather than just an hour or so tops, you'd see there was much more it than the little glimpse you got of it.

All access is available at Starter, including building, terraforming, etc; There are no restrictions in place at Starter Deed as it was intended to be "By the Players, For the Players". Which is why it's so dead and untouched right now.

What we have is not for everyone, and we were in way intended to be an "easy route" server, which is why Bounty on Kill (or Burn) is not something you'll see for every kill with us.

While I understand that apparently this is the norm on most servers, you will not find it that easy with us. I'm afraid you've actually got to put the time and effort in to earn coin with us.

I didn't say it was wall to wall trees YET. I said it will be unless you keep the tree spread turned down. This is from experience. But hey, if you like dense forest after a couple of months fine by me. And simply looking at the mountains tells me you didn't bother with erosion. And while I was there others complained about how bumpy the terrain was so it's not just me. 😆

These are only opinions. No one is the same. Also, if you are offended then you need a little thicker skin. Not everyone is going to like what you do. I'm not the only one in this thread that has talked about what they see as bad points. 🤪

Edited by Hanel

You can assume all you like, there were several erosion passes.
The mountains were designed that way on purpose and the terrain was a side-effect.

Yes, there's always comment about the terrain's un-evenness, it's been something we've been discussing since day 1. However, the choice has been made to keep the mountains (and not the plateaus you normally find) and focus on roads through-out.

So you're not up for the challenge the map presents, that's fine. That's your choice.

But don't accuse laziness by design just because you decided to give up within the first couple of hours.

I also tried and left the server based on the map alone, but that is entirely my own personal choice in the landscape I enjoy when I play Wurm :) I love finding that perfect spot with a water/mountain view to make my own. Its nothing to do with not being up for the "challenge the map presents." IMHO Hanel was not rude with his comments, the map DOES have the look of a very quick generation with the hyper-bumpy areas that often come from that. If that was your intent then that is fine, but you shouldn't be offended when long time players make suggestions. Just say hey its my server, my map and I like it so pthhttbb to you lol. I have thought about trying again because other than what I saw of the terrain, I really like the other server settings :)

There's still plenty of space to setup Deed, with several Player Deeds popping up all over the map folks are starting to settle in.

Minor adjustments are being made towards travel to find that perfect balance between travel-able and risk/excitement of chase.

Spawn-In Deed is getting it's much-needed facelift and building as players are settling in there and constructing a more lived in feel in the area.

We expect to have public-accessible store-houses, workshops and so forth with the upcoming month or so.