Sign in to follow this  
Soluna

What happened to winter?

Ahh, the snow all over the amazing landscape. It really was an incredible sight, and then it was suddenly gone too soon. Was discussing with friends how beautiful is was, how much easier it was for them to get around, etc and then suddenly it was gone. Just curious if it is totally random how long it lasts because it seemed like last wurm winter, the snows and serenity lasted a lot longer than this one and I for one and I know others would love to see it return again before another 3 real life months. Just my 2iron :) Have a great day!

• Like 3

I know that many people really dislike the winter in Wurm and complain about the 'reflective light' affecting their enjoyment and I totally get that.

I am a person who enjoys a snowy winter in real life.  I also love winter in Wurm and for me, it passes too quickly. I love the stark mountain crags of my Pristine fjord with the blue sky and water contrasting with the green of the pine trees.  I love the the sun reflecting off the white blanket of snow that is so useful for my larders. I especially like looking down at my little island at night-time lit up by what appears to be the extra lighting effect of the combination of snow and lamps.   

I do not think there is any significant call for winter to be extended but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in your enjoyment of the Wurm winter.

• Like 5

dont know, dont care as long as it stays away lol 

• Like 4

It's nice to have winter a couple days every month just to remind us how nice are the other seasons.

Surface mining, digging and exposing rock is annoying in winter cause with grass it all looks the same : \

• Like 1

its a bit more than just effecting enjoyment, winter in wurm causes me physical pain if i don't mess around with my monitor settings, i wouldn't mind it being as long as it used to be if it was possible to turn it off client side

• Like 4
  • Cat 1

I love winter in Skyrim.

I hate winter in Wurm, all is just flat white and dull.

Maybe if in winter time, models were changed and not only textures, it could look better. Like more snow on trees, some random piles of snow, grass changed to models that imitate some deep snow etc.

Wurm winter \o/ I love the way the lamps look and how calm everything looks. As always, a vote for a longer winter (and spring) in game.  

• Like 4

even after the winter texture improvement i find wurm winter quite bland and painful to the eyes... though i wouldn't mind seeing it expended by a few days since it became more useful through the snow harvesting.

• Like 1

I spend my wurm winters underground where the snow can't blind me.  Very glad it only lasts 3 days.

• Like 4

There was a change some time last year .. I THINK..... that changed the ANNOYING BLINDNESS winter used to provide, additionally back than and now.. you could just lower your brightness, that makes your screen lose a bit of color(or so it seems) but at least you wont be blinded if that still happens for you because of monitor settings.(?)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

its a bit more than just effecting enjoyment, winter in wurm causes me physical pain if i don't mess around with my monitor settings, i wouldn't mind it being as long as it used to be if it was possible to turn it off client side

Yes, the first time I encountered a Wurm winter I had to turn off the game and retreat to a dark room. It caused a horrible migraine. Then I changed settings and was able to play, but not for long times. Seems to not be nearly as bad recently, but still get a headache from it.

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

There was a change some time last year .. I THINK..... that changed the ANNOYING BLINDNESS winter used to provide, additionally back than and now.. you could just lower your brightness, that makes your screen lose a bit of color(or so it seems) but at least you wont be blinded if that still happens for you because of monitor settings.(?)

It was actually gamma adjustment we needed and didn't get.
I personally don't mind the snow anymore, unfortunately WU didn't get the update, fortunately it has a nosnow mod.
As for WO, there's about 15 or more snow shovel suggestion threads present on the forums, u can tell snow's been improved because the number is no longer growing.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

unsure if the old bug ever got fixed, if it's winter and you get disconnected, when you reconnect.. your 'local' or rendering range 'LOD' tiles or something like that.. around you does not have snow.. and snows regular green textures, far distance still have snow.. but things around you just doesn't and it used to actually be a blessing to lose connectivity if snow was blinding you.

i was told that that, occurs near the end of season but i never tested it.
yeah i agree it's glorious when it does that.

Edited by Steveleeb

That texture happens always when changing servers, also on reconnect. You can force it easily at least on linux by just starting the client anew with the same account while connected. 

Edit: That said, I for myself love Wurm winters, especially since the snow textures have been improved. Winter is extremely handy when doing archery and ballistas.

Edited by Ekcin

it doesn't even work like it used to its only half of what it was, the close trees are green but the ground is still winter and defeats the point of even trying to get a playable game

12 hours ago, Soluna said:

Ahh, the snow all over the amazing landscape. It really was an incredible sight, and then it was suddenly gone too soon. Was discussing with friends how beautiful is was, how much easier it was for them to get around, etc and then suddenly it was gone. Just curious if it is totally random how long it lasts because it seemed like last wurm winter, the snows and serenity lasted a lot longer than this one and I for one and I know others would love to see it return again before another 3 real life months. Just my 2iron :) Have a great day!

Global warming.

Actually, I find the winter effects make it much less immersive for me, because it is even less like anything I see around here.  The trees are odd enough, to me, but we do have conifers and oak, and at least in my region citrus trees.  Would be good to see the odd ironbark or cabbage gum, though.  Aaah, after a big storm, all the grey peeling bark is gone and the trees are a glorious reddy-orange (the trunks, not the leaves).  If Wurm had an antipodean-themed server, I would move there.

• Like 1

Winter, just like night time darkness, could be cool and immersive if Wurm did it properly.  I just dunno what needs to be changed, but winter/night in literally any other game is pleasant.  Winter/night in wurm is miserable.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MrGARY said:

Winter, just like night time darkness, could be cool and immersive if Wurm did it properly.  I just dunno what needs to be changed, but winter/night in literally any other game is pleasant.  Winter/night in wurm is miserable.

I find winter+night to work well. Its the only time I can see anything since even during the early and late parts of the "day" its still basically night because of the angle of the sun. I agree that non winter night is just annoying but I don't have too much of an issue with daytime winter. I just have a keybind for when dawn rolls around or I'm leaving a cave:

bind Ctrl+Shift+F1 "setoption screen_brightness -0.6"
bind Ctrl+Shift+F2 "setoption screen_brightness 1.0"

I also don't run around with my physical display brightness cranked up. I tend to keep it about 1/3rd of the way up and only raise it on rare occasions when I need to.

Because of this I too enjoy the winter and was saddened when it became shorter. The increased visibility is great and in general I find the theme of winter to be a favorite. Autumn on the other hand is second rate. Where I grew up autumn meant brilliant colors everywhere and was one of my favorite times of year. In wurm it just means the ground looks gross.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Finnn said:

mWZCoCQBcrliC2GlyIj9c1WkPTC_7vM4m4Jwt0stXTvnH4iZ41OrsWfdOiqoSa_d_vZw5af9jXN-aV-hYjqkCl5uJyn0Cp9kJOHuvvWdg5acogj-m1IaG889mXvQXLrgeY2G0GEEOsQEkfeZODwO9-d7Ji42sJXqpCpLrQ

they keep changing the' seasons 🙃

😐

I enjoy winter when cutting trees. In the summer, some felled trees tend to hide a little bit in the tall grass. 

Edited by Sharkin