Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

Objects should display the name before the description

Objects should show user-assigned names before the description instead of the current format which places the name at the end.

For example, if I have made a weapons rack out or lindenwood and rename it "Tools" because that is what is going in it,  then it should display as "Tools, weapons rack, lindenwood" instead of "Weapons rack, lindenwood, Tools".

Likewise if I have designated a BSB for dirt, then I don't need the description to say "BSB, cedarwood, "Dirt"".  I already know it is a BSB because I can see it, and what it is made from is of low importance, but the priority for me is to know which BSB has dirt and which has e.g. stone shards. We name these things to make them simpler to work with, but the names are relegated to after the stuff we can see without even a mouse-over.  If I call my huge axe "Giorradair" then I want to see Giorradair first and after that the description that Giorradair is a huge axe made of steel.

This wouldn't be hard to implement.  I expect the format is already something like object, material, name and a null name simply doesn't display.  All it would need is a reorder to name, object, material and a null name simply doesn't display.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 4

Yes, please.

Currently I need to put crates of the same material (for example firwood) into crate rack to be able to sort them by descriptions (DIRT, BRICKS etc. ).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wilczan said:

Yes, please.

Currently I need to put crates of the same material (for example firwood) into crate rack to be able to sort them by descriptions (DIRT, BRICKS etc. ).

I was wondering if I was the only one... 🤣

Big +1 from me.

In the OP's examples above, I would rather the objects just say "Tools" or "Dirt" upon mouseover.   We've been playing the game for 5+ years, we know the wooden box is a bulk storage container.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

In the OP's examples above, I would rather the objects just say "Tools" or "Dirt" upon mouseover.   We've been playing the game for 5+ years, we know the wooden box is a bulk storage container.

Others have not been playing though, and may not know. Still, if I have named it I would agree and prefer that the name is all I want to see when I mouse-over it, if that could be done.  In a crate rack or empty bsb storage rack, the wood type would still be good to see but it would help a lot of any name I gave to a container showed before the description of it.

18 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Yeah, that would be good.  Having the full description only on Examine would be fine.

(I would also like to rename horses, and do away with Old and Fat descriptions in the name....  they cut a bit close to the bone  🙂  )

• Like 1

+1 I would love this so I could shrink the width of my inventory window and still quickly find what I'm looking for. :)

• Like 2

The reason I'd like this is for sorting items in inventory so I can easily find some things. However I think with the UI fixes this will be handled by the search function.

On 6/2/2020 at 10:11 AM, Katrat said:

+1 I would love this so I could shrink the width of my inventory window and still quickly find what I'm looking for. :)

And this.