Sign in to follow this  
Supermastermind

Unique creature - private slaying is unfair

The problem with unique creatures that has been going around since they have been around is that people are privately slaying them or keeping them as "pets", this is unfair and a monopoly because they get to control the market for the drops. this is unfair to must people like me because it makes it a zero to none chance of me being able to get the hide I want for armor, I have to spend all the coins I earn on upkeep and premium, and I am not going to send real life money to get the hide/armor either. this shouldn't be allowed. And, since they are so rare you may not be able to get enough of the drop without going though the monopoly, that is a problem as well I suggest to make the spawn rate a bit higher so people are able to enough of the drop they need.

Edited by Supermastermind
  • Like 3

sorry, -1

It is up to everyone to hone the combat and other related activities and strive to get into one of the unique hunter groups, or even search on her/his own, and call for support from seasoned hunters on success. I even learnt that they are acting very generously in such cases (not myself but a guy I met who had spot a drake).

Granted, I was too lazy so far to roam the servers for uniques, too much to do else. But I am sure it would not be impossible (other than all loathe me now for my rallying for rifts 😛) to get into a hunting group when patient enough.

If you spend all coins you earn for premiun and are not willing to spend a single RL penny on Wurm I fail to see why you "deserve" a unique armour. I am paying my upkeep out of my earnings, pay my sub for me and my priests in RL money, and am saving for a scale ingame. It is feasible and in no way unfair. If it would be that easy to get unique resources they would not be unique anymore.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

are not willing to spend a single RL penny on Wurm

Its not that I'm not willing, its that I do not have the money to do so, and have to send it on more important things.

feasible and in no way unfair.

It is unfair because only one spawns every once and a great while, and should be for the community of wurm to kill, so everyone can have the chance to get the drop they need, not controlled by one person on who kills it.

or even search on her/his own

Some people do not have the time to go out and search for the unique creatures.

Edited by Supermastermind
  • Like 1

I do not get your point. It is a boon, not so widespread in the world of gaming, that you may do all of Wurm (i.e. premium) without spending money on it. You should consider that a privilege on cost of those paying RL money keeping the company afloat.

Sure some people lack money and time to do everything in Wurm. In that case they cannot do everything.

It's a reward the hunter get for putting in the time and effort.

Put in the time and skill needed and you shall be rewarded, it's the same with everything in this game.

Edited by Sn00
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Supermastermind said:

and I am not going to send real life money to get the hide/armor either. this shouldn't be allowed

you are correct it shouldn't be allowed.  rmt is banned now

4 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

you are correct it shouldn't be allowed.  rmt is banned now

He may still buy silver in the shop and purchase a scale or drake set ingame. That is not banned in any way.

• Like 1

Just now, Ekcin said:

He may still buy silver in the shop and purchase a scale or drake set ingame. That is not banned in any way.

That's not buying it with real money.  That's using silver to buy it - obtained many other "free" ways.  Put in the work to earn silver to buy, or put in the work to find uniques.  Everyone has as equal of a shot as possible

• Like 1

One way to open up unique slaying might be to have a soft cap on how many you can kill in a certain period. For example if you killed a unique recently, you get an increasing CR or damage debuff when fighting other uniques for the next few weeks (or however long). Might encourage the slaying groups to let others in.

• Like 1

theres no secret to how the 'monopolies' work, theyre just large groups of friends that work together to look for them and share their finds with each other. these are communities within the game and acting like they're only out to control the market and don't simply enjoy killing uniques is a bit weird. 

put in the effort to look for uniques, join a group of people that do, or make your own group with friends. don't be expecting free top tier gear while putting in no effort.

• Like 7

I fail to see any reason to punish actual hunting groups for hunting. Finding uniques requires skill, patience, luck, much travelling, and much time, and much cooperation. I do not see that the active hunters are not supporting even casual finders.

45 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

theres no secret to how the 'monopolies' work, theyre just large groups of friends that work together to look for them and share their finds with each other. these are communities within the game and acting like they're only out to control the market and don't simply enjoy killing uniques is a bit weird. 

put in the effort to look for uniques, join a group of people that do, or make your own group with friends. don't be expecting free top tier gear while putting in no effort.

no i should be spoonfed the content because i don't want to band up now there's an even playing field for finding them with pendys not showing uniques anymore

• Like 3

Well  hunting groups will always require cooperation and coordination. Some just manage to perfect it over time. Join a unique hunting group , when something spawns go look for it, alert your alliance/group/whatever and get ready to kill it.

9 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

But if they are the only ones that kill the unique then they get to control the market because no one else is killing them so that means they are the only ones with the drop to sell, even if they're not meaning to control the market they are.

9 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

I will be putting in effort, I may even join a group myself, but this is a problem that's been going around since the first unique creatures, that should be changed, in either making the slaying only public AND/OR by making the uniques spawn more often.

• Like 1

Oh, i didn't know i am entitled to a drake and scale set

If they're already finding them all with only a few spawns, giving more spawns will just give them more loot and lead to the devaluation of end game items because they're overabundant (they already are even with the current spawns)

Making them public only excludes people who enjoy the smaller fights against boss mobs, those with older computers that can't handle 200+ in local and people that prefer to stick with smaller groups of friends instead of dozens of random strangers. It's a bandaid fix that lowers down the game to the same generic ###### you see in every other mmo "go do this quest for the 100th time to get your exalted reputation and your shiny armor/mount/whatever". It also incentives spamming alts for loot, as with the current average of around 150-250 people at a public dragon slaying, you're looking at around that many drake/dragon slayings to get a set. Each server spawns a unique around every 21 days or something iirc so thats about a unique every 3 days or something if you exclude xanadu because xanadu has a bunch of unfound uniques that are messing up spawns. So like, a dragon every 8 days on average, times 150-250, that's many years of going to public slayings on a single account for a scale set. I'd like to say i'd benefit from it since i keep a whole bunch of accounts prem, barely search for uniques anymore and have no problem taking a knarr of alts for imbues, but i'd rather keep the much more enjoyable small private slayings ty.

• Like 2

Not to mention every public slaying is at 4-6am lol. If you want one find one and then you can decide what happens to it.

• Like 3

Go live on a mountain and you will wake up with a unique bashing your doors to kill you and your alts
Go live on a mountain and you will have a unique run down at you when you just want to go check your boat
Go live away from everyone and you will have a unique chase you around for ages because all you wanted to do was go visit your silver mine because you wanted to make some electrum
Make friends they say go visit them they say its fun they say, If you find getting your head bashed in along the way over towards your friend who lives 5 minutes away fun

I could go on but the rate i find random unique's at is high enough there is no need to change it away from what it is now which is no ability to search for them other then run into them and they are not announced when spawned it makes it "fun" to find a unique out in the wild or in my case on my deed either way why should hunting groups be punished because you dont want to spend the 1 effort or 2 money on purchasing a set? drake and scale sets where originally supposed to be rare expensive pieces they are now days quite common so just save some money put aside a silver a month or more and in no time will you have one

As for the spawn rate itself they really are fine trust me i run into the dam things far to often without hunting for them my friends do as well the best thing you can do though is find a smart hunting group join them and see if they keep a "heat map" of where unique's spawn as there is some pattern to it(they avoid specific area's and the likes) and then just stalk those area's a few times per month and you will find your own unique in no time and share it with the group and they will prob let you have the bone or even a tome charge as a finders fee which you could trade for quite a bit of money to get more hide/scale then sell the bloods or trade for hide/scale and in no time you can get one depending on the group that you hunt with as little as 4-5 months of helping out can net you a set if the group properly hunts for the things on a specific server and pools their resources to make sets
It really does not need a increase at all if anything all dragons need the ability to roar(local wide sound) and throw people(again)

• Like 1

Maybe a wider spread of spawn locations would be better? I've been playing for three years and have yet to see a unique while it sounds like some of you are inundated with them. I would like to get my journal entries completed but cannot as I am apparently not even remotely near the proper spawn location. And NO I will not abandon my deed partner just to move to a mountain top in hopes of encountering a unique! 

Something that is worth noting: lived on a mountain for years, only unique I personally ran into was on an abandoned highway about 2 hours away.  I also live on Xanadu.

Scaling the number of uniques, or their spawn rate, to server size is definitely something worth considering.

• Like 1

yeah larger servers get dicked over for uniques, xanadu is 16x the size of the 8x8 servers, covered in giant mountains that'd take hours to climb, but still gets the same spawn rates as other servers. not to mention that having alive uniques on the server blocks new spawns of that unique so xan actually gets a lower spawn rate than the other servers, as there's a black hatchling permanantly penned (charcoal) and 2 uniques that weren't found when pendulums were a thing so they're probably in some remote mountain. the whole "can't spawn within 40 tiles of a deed" thing makes their spawns kinda predictable on 8x8 servers too.

• Like 4

Nobody said ppl are entitled to having or getting drake or scale armors - fact.

It's still odd that at completely casual pve servers we have dominance on the uniques for wealth farming by certain small groups starving all community from all of the most precious resource, as this is pretty much the best armor you can get in the game, nobody with half a brain wants to wear mm armor, for the obvious reasons.

It's ODD that we can't have normal event that gets normal customers some entertainment and chance to get some of this resource, none of that really.

It's odd to have hyper time consuming element to a casual game. Wurm is mostly popular for the chill gameplay it offers, correct me if I'm wrong.

Only good part is.. we do not have an event that is like rifts....... On the other hand, we have customers who do not ever get a chance to participate in any unique slayings, or are offered scraps at non-dragon ones as a sand toss in the eyes.. and they are oddly happy for it.

I'd much rather see actual events that give everybody something to do, rather than offer rng encounters or priv group farming of these to just keep a few pockets filled up at the cost of others.

It's obvious you do not get to get an armor of the kind in wurm if you aren't an ###### and do private fights to make wealth or you're just having 15 years to participate in every single public slaying(latter might not be enough to make an armor for your main character).

IDK if that is the goal for the devs to have a fair fun end-game goal, idk if grindy games have a nonsense long-term goals taking this long.. but it seems quite messed up either way.

Definitely the game could use an improvement to this.. as only way to get best armor in the game is gimped af by teams abusing WU code knowledge or just farm on a timer servers for wealth.. not much changes, I just notice butthurt people ignore me for mentioning how game's rigged and could be improved to be more fun for everyone rather than just a few.

• Like 2

if you saw the threads for rites and rifts you'd know that complete rng as to whether or not you can actually get into the end game goals and taking years to do are core themes of the game 😾

5 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

if you saw the threads for rites and rifts you'd know that complete rng as to whether or not you can actually get into the end game goals and taking years to do are core themes of the game 😾

That have nothing to do with certain groups yoinking end game content that nobody else gets to experience for one or another reason. It's bad entertainment for the majority in the end, un-fun content.

--edit

rites if you're persistent - you can yoink one easily; sermons or channeling grind you can gimp on your own also

in addition anyone able and willing to.. can spend a bit more to pop a mini sermon on it's own and spam faith grind at a certain cost, that have nothing to do with end-gaming or anything.. just spending more to sermon at own rules and times; many able to.. just do that and skip the "social aspect" that's intended; with uniques there's no alternative 

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 2

-1. Nobody is entitled to content. If you want in on it, put in the work.

• Like 2