Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

How did you come up with your character name?

Guturales means growls in Spanish, and its a way many people sing in some subgenres of heavy metal, like black metal, death metal, viking metal, etc. I discovered heavy metal at 14 and Im now 22, still loving the genre and listening to it every single day. 

Friends can call me Gutu. 

Back in the early 90s used to have to fix major hard drive issues with low level format, effectively zerobyting the hard drive, hence the name was born haha.

On the new servers couldn't think of a name (was 3.30am waiting for the cluster to first open) and was looking at a model of the saturn 5 I'd built a couple of weeks earlier, hence the new name (Saturnfive)

Early days geez, sucked in by someone else who kept pestering me to try it, was 2 maps before gold if i remember, had to mine iron from the surface (no tunneling then) a shaft was the weapon of choice. Got suckled into pvp by watching sye and icedevil mash whitelighters (was only one server then) Loved it, long story short LO was born (many stories there in itself) one memorable was getting a weeks holiday from Rolf for killing players around new town with thunderstruck haha

• Like 1

In the most boring way ever, my IRL name is Amata. That's just who I am. 
When Amata is taken, I usually resort to Amata42. The number 42 is special because of a book; if you have also read it, you get it - if you don't know the reference, explaining it would probably make me sound like an egomaniac. 

There IS some back story to my name & my decision to just use my name online instead of something else... and it's going to turn out realllly long, so here's the thing - 

Spoiler

My parents named me Amy and my middle name was Anne. (with the E, we Annes are very firm about the E). But early on, I started playing around with my name - in elementary school, I informed my teachers on the first day of school that my middle name was "Anne Marie" - and that my full name was "Amy Anne Marie XXXX."  The teachers all accepted this as fact until the first parent-teacher conference just before fall break. That is when my parents heard about the whole deal, and very kindly informed my teachers that "Marie" was not actually part of my legal name, and that I was something of a storyteller. (not a euphemism for a liar, but honest to gods, I have trouble being concise and love to fill the world around me with extra details and character). 

*cough*

Anyway, as a kid I went through a number of nicknames bestowed by family and friends. They were nice, but none particularly stuck to me. These nicknames tended to stick with each individual nick-namer. I had an uncle who called me Big Time Amy for a bit (inside family joke). I have an aunt who has always called me Ayze, said kinda like "Ace" but maybe in a Fonzie "aaaay" kinda way. One friend was my "fangirls for Indiana Jones" buddy, and she would call me "Amyanna Jones." Once, on a family adventure (don't ask) when I was young, I wanted to be called Princess Leia because she was a total badass. For D&D and other table top games, I would make up random names based on the character I was playing, or that fit the game world or context we were playing. During the Netscape / Prodigy / AOL / CompuServ wars, I used the handle Aerin Sol which is the name of another badass protagonist, this time from "The Hero and the Crown" by Robin McKinley.

But there was never a nickname that I wanted to keep and take to others to also use. 

By the time I got to high school, I had sorted out enough of my personality that I knew that "Amy" wasn't quite on the mark, but something about it did work for me. So I started digging around.   

On 9/15/2020 at 9:22 PM, Amantnovi said:

When I first started online gaming, my character name was always Amant Ember. Amant meaning "Love", the same as my rl name is Amy and means beloved.

As Amant has explained, the name "Amy" means "beloved" (from Latin).

By that time in my life I had collected 2 quirks that I used as a bit of a "calling card" - I was obsessed with the color purple, and I always signed my name with a tiny heart in superscript after the last letter. It wasn't particularly cutesy. I didn't dot my i's with hearts or write my name in hot pink ink, and I was never particularly feminine by Western standards, so don't get that idea in your head. It was just that the part of "Amy" that resonated with me was the beloved part. 

To be painfully personal for a moment, I have had very few aspirations in my life - but I have always deeply longed to be loved and to give love in return. (there is actually a medical explanation for why I felt that way so strongly, and also why that somewhat normal aspiration is, unfortunately, kind of a hard thing for me to ever actually accomplish). I also, for a similar reason, felt compelled to always try and be in the middle of my circle of friends - not like the most popular or the one with the strongest personality - but like, the salt. A kind of plain and boring, often overlooked aspect of life, but one that everyone can connect to... and that everyone immediately notices when its presence is missed. I was the agony aunt. I was everyone's mother. 

So I had a purple heart, the idea beloved, and a calling as a caretaker type. 

This was the days before Google Translate, so if you can remember it - I was using altavista's babelfish. I spent a whole weekend using that awful translator to compile a list of the words for love, beloved, and mother from every language and culture I could get my hands on. Then it was a fairly straightforward task of using the overlapping patterns to smosh together a name that had some connection, in any language, across many cultures, to all 3 of those concepts; love, beloved, mother. Plus, it had to "feel" right to me. 

That's how I found Amata. 

And that name shared the same first letter as my legal middle name, Anne.... so I could tell my friends to call me Amata, and I could write my full name out as Amy A. XXXXX, with the mental intention that the A. stood for Amata, not Anne, and this time my teachers and parents would never find out that I was renaming myself (again). 

Unfortunately, I attended a private, all-girls high school, in the American South. So, naturally, my high school had originally been a Ladies' Finishing School. As a finishing school, the "graduation" ceremony was, in actuality, the various coming out balls of the newly minted debutantes. (I'm not joking). When the school had to start being slightly less deb, and a tiny bit more actual school, the debutante traditions were the last things to go. Even if the debutante syllabus got revamped to prepare young ladies for college, not society, this particular school remains - I swear to the gods - a finishing school in disguise. 

Sooooo our high school graduation ceremony did not include caps and gowns and walking across a stage, a handshake, a diploma, and much rejoicing. We graduated by dressing in virgin-white ball gowns, wearing white sun hats with velvety red bows tied around them. Our names weren't called - we were formally presented, "Amy XXXX, daughter of Mr and Mrs Dad'sName XXXXX." We carried a dozen red roses instead of a diploma. And we did not shake hands - we curtsied. We curtsied three separate times during the course of the graduation ceremony. Yes, I did actually Love (but also Hate) the experience. 

To make up for having held on to a debutante graduation ceremony, the school played up the ring ceremony during junior year a little extra bit. (Do other countries have school ring ceremonies? Or is this another way that Americans are warped and crazy?). Since graduation was dresses and roses, the junior ring ceremony was cap and gown in its place. And I had completely forgotten by that time that I was doing anything particularly sneaky, and had simply fallen easily into the habit of expecting to be called Amata, and including Amata in every use of my full name. Thus, entirely without thinking, when the form was passed around to provide the name you wanted used during ring ceremony, I wrote down "Amy Amata XXXX."

To be fair to my parents, this time they simply took it in stride when the Dean of Students announce "Amy Amata XXXX" to go receive her school ring. But my parents definitely took delight in teasing me about it afterwards. I went to college and had my professors all call me Amata from the start, so as far as the university was concerned, my name was Amata and basically nobody ever used Amy. 

Technically, Amy Anne is still my legal name, and I don't really have any problems with that. But people who know me, understand that I'm Amata. Amy is only used for official business (which I despise), for legal matters (which I avoid), and by family members who have a grandfather clause because they knew me for so many years as Amy first. I was involved in a legal matter a few years back, and was required to provide not just my legal name but also any nicknames and aliases; so there is a legal record that I go by Amata, so the name is legally part of my "aka..." identity, I guess. 

Sometimes my close friends shorten my  name to 'Mata. Or Mommy 'Mata.

YM7Y22A.png

• Like 3

I have three names related to Wurm. 

Nekojin, which is my Forum name, is also a Wurm account that I no longer own/control. It was sold back in 2011 to someone who told me that they'd hold it for me until I came back. At the time, I didn't expect to ever come back. (To whoever controls this account, if you are still around - I wouldn't mind if we could work out some GM-approved method for me to reclaim that account!)

Nekojin is Japanese for "Cat man" or "Cat Person." I created this name around 1992-1993, when I was getting tired of constantly having my previous handle, The Gamesman, already claimed everywhere I went. This served me well for decades, but over the past decade, it's become harder and harder to use, as other places (tabletop role-playing games, online games, a few other things) have used the term, so it is now starting to reach the problem I had with The Gamesman. 

My second time coming back to Wurm, I tried to repurchase my Nekojin handle, with no success. I had already come up with an alternate handle for these circumstances (other than Nek0jin and the like): Katzemensch. This is a German/Yiddish mangling - in proper German, it should be Katzenmensch (again, "Cat Man"). As a result, though, this turns out to be unique enough that I have no problem claiming it anywhere I want it. This is my character in South Isles, who I think is somewhere on Xanadu (I've honestly looked at the maps, and cannot find anything that looks like where I last remember logging out). Edit: I think I found where he is on Independence

But because I already had a Katzemensch account, I couldn't use that for a new character for the Northern Isles. After a dozen failures on variants on Nekojin, I went ahead and chose Top Cat (which, server-side, is either TopCat (official) or Topcat (displayed)). Top Cat is an old cartoon character. 

That's it! 

Edited by Nekojin

Almost like Amata, my game name is a play on my last name IRL. I've played a lot of team sports for many, many years, and been online almost as long. As such, I've been called a lot of things. Folks say my last name wrong all the time (can you spell that for me please, hehe). Anyway, I've always said, "put a suffix on Gum, and I've likely been called it". Some of the more popular ones are,  Gumby, Gums, Gummers, Gumbalina, Gombeetz, Gumbers, and the ever so popular Guma-lama-dingdong.

:)

• Like 2

Got mine from Darkfall i played few years back before the expansion then another. I use to like pvping back over there, totally hardcore game. Until i found Wurm, i would find this much better and happy with.

It's quite a simple story, my brother and I were waiting to cross the street during lunch one day a few years ago and he randomly said "Spongeeee, where are you?" To which I for no reason replied "Hii." And ever since then he's called me Sponge 🤷🏼‍♂️ So I use it for basically anything now.
King is just my title, at least in the fantasy GoT-esque world in my head 🤪

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 11:17 AM, Kingsponge said:

It's quite a simple story, my brother and I were waiting to cross the street during lunch one day a few years ago and he randomly said "Spongeeee, where are you?" To which I for no reason replied "Hii." And ever since then he's called me Sponge 🤷🏼‍♂️ So I use it for basically anything now.
King is just my title, at least in the fantasy GoT-esque world in my head 🤪

Not a character name but IRL nickname, I got one a similar way.  I telephoned a friend, and assuming he recognized my voice just began a conversation when he said "Who is this?"  For some completely random reason I said "Your Uncle Fred."  (Fred is not even close to my name).  Now, 20 something years later, he and his whole family still call me Uncle Fred, much to the confusion of everyone else.

• Like 2

Zexos was something that just came to me when I was thinking of a name for my Redbubble store, a few years ago.

I have used it ever since in a few different places as my name.

Edited by Zexos
  • Like 2

i can't recall what game for sure, but everquest or asheron's call or another way back then, stated please validate name please.  so I put Validate and have used that in all my games since 2001 or 2002   . i know in Darkfall my first pvp game. i used Validate Me as my last name.  and my alt was Whykill Me .

• Like 1

Shamgar - Judges 3:31 "And after him was Shamgar the son of Anath, which slew of the Philistines six hundred men with an ox goad: and he also delivered Israel."

My alt Priest is Oxgoad.

• Like 4

Fairies are part of many of our childhood stories, and wurm seemed like it would be a magical adventure where strange and wondrous things can happen.  Fairies sparkle and shine ... so Fairyshine seemed appropriate. 

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 1

Gwiz has been my online persona since the 90's.

Anyone here remember the game Faldon? 

Edited by Gwiz
clarity

Many years ago, a friend of mine played a very amusing character called Berris Berris of Berris Hall in a TTRPG (I think it was Call of Cthulhu)

When I needed a name with which to try out this random game that my gf of the time was very keen on that was the name that came to mind. I'm still like it, and yes my houses have always been named Berris Hall.

Edited by Berris
  • Like 2

I am, as those who know me can attest, a very laid back, calm and level headed person, very … zen.

however that is only part of the story of my name on Wurm. Way back, when the world was new(ish) I stumbled on Minecraft, still in alpha in those days, and scrolling through the website I came across a tribute to Wurm, listed as a major influence on Minecraft, so I simply had to come and visit. 

in those days I was also very much involved in Linux, and at that time I was working on some projects that used a rather obscure GTK utility for creating dialog boxes called Zenity, and I absentmindedly used that name when registering my character. And so, a decade or more later …

My other character, my Epic main, is Jahpeople, who was named as a poor wordplay on a reggae song by Bob Marley, Exodus. Which was the reason Jahpeople was made, for the first day of Exodus. I decided to use Jahpeople to log in on Serenity on day one there, since he wasn’t prem at the time, and my only premium character was Zenity, who went to Affliction.

(in case anyone doesn’t know the song, and why would you, the lyrics referred to are: “Exodus, movement of Jah people”, I did say it was a poor play on words).

Edited by Zenity
  • Like 2

Well, hope I don't get in trouble for this, but here goes. I'm horrible at picking nicknames for games, so usually go with a combination of my initials and birthday. The night I found Wurm I was under the influence and decided to go with my name (Dale) and a description of said influence, so came up with 'Dalehighashell.'  Fell in love with the game immediately, even though I was getting killed by everything. First day I got killed by a wolf and couldn't find my corpse, so lost all my starter tools. Got killed by the same spider twice, and didn't know about burying corpses, so dragged the corpses off the main road and hid them in a lavender bush, lol. Had probably half a dozen corpses scattered around the area.

One night during that first week I was sitting at the campfire, struggling to make myself some food with my nutrition bar solidly in the dark orange. I had asked a question in Help a few minutes prior, and all of a sudden a Huge, Fearsome looking character was suddenly standing there. I thought I was for sure going to die. Again.

Took me a few to realize that this person was talking to me in a chat - I wasn't really very good at keeping an eye on chat, still am not actually, lol. Turns out it was the GM Astarte who was really annoyed that I had that name and was threatening to ban me. Well, I didn't want that, but I also didn't want to starve, lol, and I was again under the influence. She gave me the option of changing the name, which I jumped at, but because I was thinking rather slowly, and hoping against hope that she would maybe take pity on me and help out with getting my food bar out of the red, I decided to go with Dalethegood, just to show her that I'd be a good boy, lol.

She was satisfied with that choice it seems, as she sent me a warm thought (weird I thought, but it turned my food bar green - later learned it was a refresh). She became my very favorite GM during the course of that encounter and later on would drop by unannounced to check on me and turn me into some crazy looking character which was fun and, honestly, freaked me out a couple times, lol.

So, yeah, that's how I got this toon's name, lol. My second character's name was just a riff on the old cartoon, Chip 'n Dale, and is named Mrchipper. After that I started using some of my favorite authors' names, like Edward Abbey, Frantz Fanon, etc. And 4+ years later, I'm still averaging 8+ hrs a day playing Wurm. Love it!!!

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

Ether - Aether - Empty - Without substance

Drifter - Wanderer - Travelling person

Pretty much just a pun on an "empty wanderer" as in "another anonymous person on the net"

• Like 2

Most of mine are from Wolfram von Eschenbach’s Parzival poem from medieval Europe.

Edited by belacane

On 1/26/2022 at 3:40 AM, DaletheGood said:

First day I got killed by a wolf and couldn't find my corpse, so lost all my starter tools. Got killed by the same spider twice, and didn't know about burying corpses, so dragged the corpses off the main road and hid them in a lavender bush, lol. Had probably half a dozen corpses scattered around the area.

Different animals, but this is awfully close to my first day in Wurm, too.  Didn't know I could bury, didn't know I could swim.

I made the newby mistake of taking a "public" cart off deed and dismounting on a deed that wouldn't let me access the cart, the horses, the contents etc.  I put in a ticket, hoping against hope to at least get my horses back.  Astarte dropped in and I honestly have no idea how long she had been standing right in front of me trying to talk to me in chat.  We arranged to go to the cart, where she popped over and got me my horses back.  Then she turned me into a cart.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

It was the name of a software development project I worked on some forty years ago.

On 2/6/2022 at 4:48 AM, Avaxas said:

It was the name of a software development project I worked on some forty years ago.

Early 90s eh? I wasn't even born then!

I went with Hoseph because it seemed like your typical villager name.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:48 PM, Avaxas said:

6 hours ago, Hoseph said:

Early 90s eh? I wasn't even born then!

CMHOacf.jpg

😉  (all in good fun)

• Like 1