Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

How did you come up with your character name?

I wanted a Nahjo priest toon as a sidekick, so I was looking for a suitable name.  I needed something short, easy to type, and to remember. (Lots of really cool high level players I knew had short snappy names at that time.). I struggled to think of female sidekick characters down through history - until I remembered the famous painting The Mona Lisa - a picture of an enigmatic, quietly smiling lady who was said to be Leonardo da Vinci's muse.  I kind of liked the idea of a quiet companion who patiently takes everything I throw at her and just smiles and gets on with it.  Hence Muse.

Edited by Muse
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Muse said:

I wanted a Nahjo priest toon as a sidekick, so I was looking for a suitable name.  I needed something short, easy to type, and to remember. (Lots of really cool high level players I knew had short snappy names at that time.). I struggled to think of female sidekick characters down through history - until I remembered the famous painting The Mona Lisa - a picture of an enigmatic, quietly smiling lady who was said to be Leonardo da Vinci's muse.  I kind of liked the idea of a quiet companion who patiently takes everything I throw at her and just smiles and gets on with it.  Hence Muse.

I would have never guessed. Hah!

Beretel: In '03 (I think), I started playing Asheron's Call 2.  I enjoy the Tolkien books and chose Elessar Telcontar for a name.  Had to shorten it to Elessr Telcontar due to the naming rules.  Then my wife (Luthien Tinuviel) started to play so I made a character to duo with her, Beren Telcontar, because I figured in a large allegiance, keeping a last name would make things simpler.  When AC2 closed, we went to EQ2 and I had two characters based on the name, Berenn and Beretel.  Beretel stuck.

Shammoo: back in the dark ages (1990?) a friend saw me laying on my bunk in the dorm at summer bible camp and said "Jonathan, is that you or is there a whale in your bed?"  (I was overweight)  He then called me Shamu, and it stuck... but at the time I didn't know how to spell it, so I wrote it as Shammoo, which it has been ever since. :)

JS

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Thanks for sharing! You were the person who prompted me to make this discussion. I have to admit I was very curious at first about your name. Is that the same in game? Thetrickster?

Yeah, same in game.  To me Loki is an actual character whereas The Trickster is the character archetype - characterized also by Til Eulenspiel, Aiken Drum, Br'er Rabbit,  Sun Wukong (the Monkey King from Journey to the West), cartoon characters like Bugs Bunny and Jerry the Mouse.  I'm not into alts, but if I was I could use a bunch of those 🙂

• Like 1

Darquan - Back in the 70s, when I discovered Dungeons and Dragons as a kid in middle school.  It was the name I gave my main character back then.  Dark One.  Sadly over the years, most games I join have a hundred other Darquan's running around, so it isn't very original anymore.  Now I have a hundred other "main" character names I use in those more popular games.  One thing I really love about Wurm is NONE of my favorite names are ever taken.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beretel said:

Beretel: In '03 (I think), I started playing Asheron's Call 2.  I enjoy the Tolkien books and chose Elessar Telcontar for a name.  Had to shorten it to Elessr Telcontar due to the naming rules.  Then my wife (Luthien Tinuviel) started to play so I made a character to duo with her, Beren Telcontar, because I figured in a large allegiance, keeping a last name would make things simpler.  When AC2 closed, we went to EQ2 and I had two characters based on the name, Berenn and Beretel.  Beretel stuck.

Shammoo: back in the dark ages (1990?) a friend saw me laying on my bunk in the dorm at summer bible camp and said "Jonathan, is that you or is there a whale in your bed?"  (I was overweight)  He then called me Shamu, and it stuck... but at the time I didn't know how to spell it, so I wrote it as Shammoo, which it has been ever since. :)

JS

I remember when Tolkien references would only be understood by those who read him.  Nowadays many of the names crop up all over the place (but anyone with Beren or Luthien would stand out as a reader rather than a watcher).  I have always been partial to Glorfindel.

Wilczan is an old-way slavic name reffering to wolf (wilk means wolf in polish language).

I always liked everything wolf related so it was natural choice for my first Wurm character.

• Like 2

I created my nick myself, just randomly outta my mind.

It was back in 2001 when Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction expansion was released in my country. I made my nickname for my first and best Paladin character, and since then I'm using it everywhere, everytime. Now I'm mostly known by this nickname, even for my real friends. It has become in fact my main alias, so now many people I know for years have really hard times guesing my real name. If you will ever see my nickname in any game or in the internet- it's probably me. 

• Like 3

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away there was a game called Everquest. My first character ever made was a dark elf wizard named Camigwen, named for a character in the Dragon Price series of books by Melanie Rawn. From there also spawned her twin sister the enchanter Camilyn. Later I was asked to join the leadership team for the DAoC branch of my guild. When I went to create my twins i found that the names had been taken. (I later found that a rival guild had gone in and used up the names of several players so they couldnt be used by their EQ players crossing over) So Dragonelle and Dragoness were born. Since then they have followed me throughout my MMO career (I have played nearly all major MMO’s)  with 2 exceptions. My FPS handle is/was Dragonrage or just Rage. And Star Wars Galaxies where I was more known for the weapon crafter Wednesday Addams then the twins. If you had seen a Dragonelle or Dragoness in an MMO in the last 20 years chances are it was me 😁

• Like 1

Eyesgood - a morphed version of "I am good" as in, I always play good-aligned characters.  I always choose to be the paladin, the knight, the healer, the dwarf, the Jedi, etc.  As Alkhadias said above, if you see Eyesgood in a game, it's probably me.  Although once, I had to re-roll with a different name and so I came up with Eyzengude (as in rhymes with dude).  It worked.

• Like 1

Knightshade - knight is mothers maiden name (no security risk in making that public), invented it 30 years ago didn't use it till last year.
Woodwhisper - I first got into my spiritual development with Wicca, the name had meaning till i was fool enough to goto Middlesbrough and call myself that on the haxed forums. This is what i used in Everquest 1 and 2.
Talonclaw - Just came to me, maybe Farscape helped not sure. an Eve Online dev gave me a little reward for the name about a year after release.
Nevynus - Nevyn is a character in a Katherynn Kerr novel. Gaelic word.
CyberKnight - my Q2 league name, CTF and AQ2.
Stevelee - My first and middle name, lee is from the masculine old english leigh, meaning meadow. (if i was chinese it'd be from Li meaning `plum`) stephen is greek from stephanos.

hmm any more.. I used ShadyK on the KISSarmy forums 2 decades ago but i didn't stay long.
Thornwind is another one because i used to be angrier than i am now.
Qigong i used for my eq2 monk but i didn't invent it.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 2

I see everybody here has cool names and stories.. 

Im really bad at coming up with names haha.. 

The name of the city I live in translated to English is Sweetlake (or literally Sweeterlake, but everybody here says Sweetlake or Sweetlakecity). So first I wanted to go for Sweetlakesusie, but I wanted it to be shorter so I chose for Sweetsusie.

If I had known I would be playing wurm so much and for so many years I would have taken a bit longer to think of a better name lol.. 

After playing a bit I realized but I already had some skills and didn't want to start over.. So I guess im stuck with this name.

My priests name is Cookiedough.. Again nothing fancy, but still better than Sweetsusie :P

I tried a couple of those name generator websites but I didn't find anything that I liked.

And well.. I just like cookie dough XD 

• Like 3

BrQ a stylized version of my first name minus some vowels. Someone suggested the name to me when I was very young and it kinda stuck. 

When registering for Wurm Online, I registered as BrQ. However, the email I filled in during registration was wrong (twice I think). It was possible to wait it out for a couple of days and re-register, but I didn't want to wait.

When I have to sign up somewhere and can't use my regular handle, I just add more Q's until it works. Usually I go for 3 Q's, then 5, then 10 and then 15. In this case, 3 Q's was enough so BrQQQ was born.

The Daredevil account was bought, so I didn't come up with that name. 'Wynne' was named after the healer mage in Dragon Age: Origins. Fendor (and a few variations of it) I just made it up on the spot by typing random characters until it looked like a name.

Ah, I get asked this all the time. 

No, it's not from the drink. It's also not from Borderlands. 

I came of age alongside the internet. When I was in college, AOL dial-up was all the rage and people were getting used to this weird new form of communication called email. My friends and I all had nicknames for each other, mine was Moxie because... well, I had moxie. Chutzpah. I'd usually take things a step further and be a little crazier/weirder/bolder than the others. So, eventually I started using that name for online gaming, long before Borderlands was a thing. Actually, it's very possible that character was named after me. 🤪

And yes I've had Moxie the drink. It tastes like tar and sassafras, and it isn't my favorite. 🙂

Lyric was started to be a Fo priest, so I wanted a name that sounded kinda hippy-dippy/naturesy. I love music too so it fit. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

Way back in my DAoC days, there was a character class called Inconnu, they were primarily best as archers, which is what I was trying to create. Well if you know anything about DAoC or that particular class, they are incredibly small, so I pulled the size slider all the way down to make it even smaller, then I wanted a name to par, so I tried various iterations of "shrimp" until I caught one that wasn't taken, Shrimpiie. (I also had a big orc named Cheezball 😛)

No, the name does not come from the sea creature "Shrimp", but rather it was such a long drawn out process to explain where the name came from to folks, and most folks immediately assumed it was a sea creature related name, so I decided many years ago to just embrace it, and thus you have it!

I just assumed you were height challenged :P

Sweet thread. Mine is just an on-the-fly invention. I'm good at coming up with original names. Ayuna reminds me of the type of names that are frequent in my culture of origin (Russia). Short, pleasant, and simple.

• Like 2

Not used in Wurm, and usually not a character name, but for ship names used in competitive play I like to give a name that reflects purpose.  For passive tanks intended to draw fire (while a different ship was basically 0 defense but with ludicrously overpowered weapons) I liked to use "wooden duck" and "anvil" as the names.  It always surprised me that people still went for them, when the names should have been a warning.  In one case, a lifeless decoy that draws you into the killzone and the other being the place where you get hammered.  (The offensive ships would get names like Elmer and Hammer).

I remember in one game you could label gear, so I set up heavily booby trapped locations with dropped items tagged "No, really, don't come over here." and "fair warning" and "nothing you want" and such.

Tolkien fan here and proud of it.

Elentari = name of the Goddess "Varda Elentari" in the Silmarillion, creator of the stars.  Pretty straightforward.

• Like 4

Kochinac is my real life last name, spelled a bit differently(Kočinac is real one). Since English doesnt have letter č i replaced it with ch because it's the same sound as ch in chair. Also c in the end is not read as hard K as many people asume, it's more like zz in pizza, English doesn't really have that sound too..

Reason why i almost always go with my last name on my mains is because it's unique even in my country and because i don't like to refering to my character in 3rd person, they are actually me, not someone else so i like to wear my real name in game too.

• Like 3

i have 7 accounts named after drinks i like which is more than the 5 that are some variant of gary

i used gary because i needed a name that wasnt my name and im bad at names and it was a normal name that was on the top of my head that doesn't suck like eugene or something

i cant use my real name because most variants are already used and it's more difficult when spelling it backwards like the coolkids do still spells it the same way

i named my first priest fatjesus because someone called me fatjesus in college because i had long hair and a beard and it was a priest and im bad at names so it worked for me

im so good at names that when i made an alt to cast fungus for hate tiles i named it fungus and then devs just had to go and change the name of the fungus spell, probably to unknowingly spite me, very rude

• Like 1

Many years ago when I first met my husband he called me "Chiqa"  I am Hispanic , it was his fun way of honoring that.  Over time it became my handle in many circles including gaming.  Tho  he has passed away I still love the name and use it.

• Like 9

Just gonna copy paste my tale as i just replied to this on the wurm fb page :P

When i first joined Wurm I was like 16-17 and had kinda gotten bored of the old gamer tag i'd used as a kid but hadn't picked anything new. I was giving Wurm a go, creating a character and thought to myself "I won't be playing this game long, just giving it a shot....no need for effort". Thus i reversed my real first name and created Nadroj.

That was near on 14 years ago. Not only did i get stuck with the silly name i gave myself but as all my gaming buddies since have ended up knowing me as Nadroj it's all i use, meaning Wurm addiction created my permanent username.

• Like 4

My player name started out of a bit of anonymity back when yahoo was still in its early days and we were all using netscape or explorer, or aol or that other one... um compuserv I think....  It was a partial random name that came up when I signed up for something back then and it had a bit of a history behind it from my youth.  But its not really a fashionable name,  just ended up with it and stuck with it for trying to avoid spam and other undesirable things.  I still use it today to keep people from realizing who it was that they were in communication with.

Enki on the other hand... 

A : It was cast up on me by the gods, marking me forever with that name as i ran out of ink to finish the entire name Enkiceptrilimanduvorzarous

B :  It's my actual name!  Check out my license plates!

C : Or I came up with it quickly to save Oracle and Rolf a lot of time and headaches trying to contact me.  4 characters, quick to type, and has good lore..

• Like 8