Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

How did you come up with your character name?

During one of my most recent discussions here the topic of names came up. So it got me thinking... How did you come up with your name for your main character?  Was it your child nickname? The name of a pet? or was just a random collection of letters? Naturally this question is for a character you created yourself or was created for you. Tell us your story! 

In addition to your name, share a memorable story involving your early days on Wurm. Lets see if your stories are as colorful as mine was (to me at least!)

• Like 4

My name was self created in 1995 when I used to play a chat based game online during my early internet days. I had created a character named Jennifer Klaine for a tabletop game that I played via this online chat. The issue was that on this chat I was required to have an email which I did not have. But after many attempts at finding an email that was available I decided to use different words. Thats when Angelklaine was born. By 2003 I had already changed my email address but this name had already become my online nickname everywhere I went and it stuck. Its over two decades old and by now its too late to change.

When I created my first character in Wurm (Angelklaine) and finally made my way to my Xanadu deed location (those old people from NEXA may remember the old "Family Values" deed location back circa 2016) I had my neighbor Sandokhan ask me about my name. Sandokhan was a very strange person and used to tell me all kinds of weird stories but he found my name peculiar. He probably thought I was a girl even though my character model is male. Must be the Angel part of it. I had to explain that Angel is a male name in hispanic culture. 

Ah the good old days when I had neighbors.

• Like 2

So, gonna age myself here. LONG ago there were various online chat and places you could go to play games like chess, cards, and word games against other players in real time. I played euchre, poker, scrabble, and occasionally other games using the name ChampagneDreams_BeerBudget. Actually that was my second name, gonna digress and tell you the story of my first name:

MaggieMae1967. Maggie Mae was my dog's name at the time, and 1967 being my birth year. This was in the age of A/S/L. All the pervs would hang out and ask anyone appearing female ASL and proceed to try to hit on you in the early, immature ways of the social internet. I was there to just play games. Well, one night I got sick of it so one night I answered 64/male/San Fran (cause I am a bit of a smartass) When he stammered... but.. your name.. And I told him yes, but in 1967 I was sitting on the pier in San Fran and realized I was a female trapped in a male's body, and that's when Maggie Mae was born. Remember, this was over 20 years ago, when we weren't as socially aware. I got called a myriad of names. Well, I continued to use that response until I was sick of it, then decided I needed a name that was ambiguous, and was tongue in cheek. That's when ChampagneDreams came about.

So in one of those game rooms, playing chess using the ChampagneDreams name  I met my now significant other. We played a lot of games together, chatted, just chilled. We lived 6 hours apart and one day he said "let's meet for dinner". We did. Many times. Then we started living together. One day I got angry about something and he called me a dragon. He started calling me dragon whenever I was being intense about something. Then he convinced me to try Planetside (the old, original one) with him. I went to create a character and started to put in Champagne, and he was like... no has to be dragon something.. so ChampagneDragon came about.

• Like 6

WARNING: SAD AND PERSONAL

Spoiler

My name comes from a full name that i use frequently online...

A long time ago I had a very close friend named Yoshikou Endou from japan.  We spent around a decade talking back and forth, always in communication with each other.   This person played a lot of games and was always interested in art and was very open and joyful.  I could easily say at the time, was my closest friend.

in 2010 she became very sick and it became harder and harder to stay in contact and our topics grew shorter as they did not have the strength to stay online as they once did.  I always held my optimism up to them that they would get better, but their health just became worse and worse.  Inevitably in the summer of 2013 they past away to their health conditions.

At that point, I could no longer play wurm as their character remained in my deed at the time and i could not bare to log in and see the name in the villager list.  So i decided to make an online name to not only start fresh, but also honor this person at the same time.   After thinking away for play on words i eventually gave up and realized that anyway i looked at it, it was all an unlucky situation.   Then it hit me...

I chose the name  Kichi (which means luck)  and Endo(u)  which declares an ending.  So it literally means "unlucky person"  or "The end of Luck"  and also honors my dear friend's last name.

So now when I log in, I feel enthusiastic again; things like discord, wurm etc. Knowing that i'm continuing on the memory of my friend makes it feel better, and I guess deep down I like to think they could be there for all those adventures.

• Like 8

random name generator.. like for any other game.. just had to be short, simple, raid ready(voip or typing).

true story…

Spoiler

above the spoiler

I cannot tell the story of my name without getting in trouble. If you want to know my story, pm me and I'll tell you. 

It was back in 2010 my wurm adventure started. I was 16 and it sounded cool! 😎

At the time I didn't know it was a word with a meaning to it.🤣 

Me and two friends spawned at The Howl. We walked for what seemed like hours until we reached the shores of SW Independence. We took refuge at a village called Croc Knob and got well fed by the mayor Kronius. We saw an island in the distance and got in love with it. We started to work on a row boat. It was made by the finest olive trees,  cut down by my friend wielding a rake. When we finally made it the island we got ambushed by bears and wolves, back to The Howl we went.

We did the same thing again and planted our first deed. One of the two friends are still playing wurm with me today.

Edited by Sharkin
  • Like 5

Nomad i khan

Back in the days of Perfect Dark 64 for the Nintendo 64, I ran as Nomad255..   Nomad because I never camped, but always moved and would strafe run circles around friends to kill them (in PD64 strafing sideways while moving would let you run even faster).  255 because I was big into Gameboy hacking Pokemon and what's the max number in Hexidecimal, 255 or FF.

the 'i' just provides the glue to make it sound good when speaking it.

Khan simply for Genghis Khan.  I like history and at the time of the Nintendo 64 etc we were studying the Mongol campaigns.

• Like 1

It used to be cccd back in bf1942 days, but then I added fern for the place I lived. Pronounced: Triple c d fern. First name letter, last name letter, creator of destruction.

Its never taken, so that's a plus.

• Like 1

Mine is taken from nights dawn trilogy by PF Hamilton,with a slight spelling mistake which i've kept to this day.First born in the realm of star wars galaxies pre cu and nge.... Eclipse server.

And no im not the same Calvert from Eve online lol

• Like 2

My nick is one that I very extensively use for decades. Came as an abbreviation from a longer nick from the time of my teenage. Had to be 3 letters, I was quite into playing pinball which meant I usually played full nights with a single coin and filled quite some highscore slots... which allowed 3 letters only.

The name Jaz stuck since - even some of my RL customers know me by that name and also included in my freelance business name.

BTW as it is not coming from Jazz or any English origins it should be pronounced more like Yaz  - the leading J is like the one in "yay".

My best memories from my first weeks on Indy about 6 years ago are when my friends convinced me that horses are useless in Wurm and we should not bother to be able to ride... and when a cavebug ruined our mine floor (they were that mean back then) and we could not destroy those nasty beasts ... I think Pingpong came and cleared it for us.

Edited by Jaz
corrected spelling errors - my rebel fingers bah
  • Like 2

Back in the days (gosh, I hate that I'm using this term, I must be getting old) of Garrysmod/Zombie Survival. I was playing on a server regularly and became internet buddies with some people there. My usual go-to online persona is the moniker "Sgt.Cannonfodder", but I was still using the german version of that while playing there.

I thought "Sgt.Kanonenfutter" shouldn't be hard to read, but as I learned through the years anything german is basically unpronouncable gibberish for anyone else, and my "best internet buddy" among the regulars whom I chatted most with just purposely garbled the latter part - in an endearing way - to "Kanonenflubbers" and eventually just abbreviated it to Flubbers, then Flubb.

I eventually moved on from Garrysmod largely and that particular server, the regulars I played with mostly left and the contact to the server owners also ceased (I was even an admin on their servers on one point, but with me not playing anymore, I simply resigned from the position after some prodding). The server was still running when I checked in again years later and one old regular who was also still there surprisingly bought my old nickname as a title (you could basically buy a custom title with some ingame currency to be shown on the score board), albeit a bit misspelled, which was kinda flattering.

Even though I drifted apart from that community on my own, I still remember my time there very fondly and occasionally using this nickname instead of my usual one is my way of commemorating it, I guess.

Looking back, and given how Wurm was the second game where community was actually kind of a big deal to me (I'm tend to be a loner), it turned out to be very fitting that I presented as Flubb here.

Also, the military title didn't seem fitting for a medival setting when chosing a name.

• Like 1

Good to see the stories. Warms my heart. Some really good reads here.

Would like to see some more Wurm early stories too!

Glad I'm not the only person who has a pet name. I didn't seriously play any MMOs until 2011 (tried a few but nothing stuck), when someone introduced me to the SWGemu project. I loved it and decided to make my own character. I took the name of my beloved pug dog who would sit on the back of my chair while I played games. She passed away in 2015, but I'll always keep this name. 

• Like 1

I don't have a deep, detailed reason for mine, so:

Neo + Morpheus + a sprinkle of tonation = Neopherus

• Like 2

My name is Davide, "Davih" is how a bunch of people used to call me in vocal chat 10+years ago, i liked it and used it as a nickname on several games since then

Edited by Davih
  • Like 1

Way back in my DAoC days, there was a character class called Inconnu, they were primarily best as archers, which is what I was trying to create. Well if you know anything about DAoC or that particular class, they are incredibly small, so I pulled the size slider all the way down to make it even smaller, then I wanted a name to par, so I tried various iterations of "shrimp" until I caught one that wasn't taken, Shrimpiie. (I also had a big orc named Cheezball 😛)

No, the name does not come from the sea creature "Shrimp", but rather it was such a long drawn out process to explain where the name came from to folks, and most folks immediately assumed it was a sea creature related name, so I decided many years ago to just embrace it, and thus you have it!

• Like 4

My first initial is S so Sme comes from an amalgamation of S and "it's me" then my surname starts with Jack and combining the two I have been using this name for about 20 years.

My brother told me to try this game called wurm he had found a couple weeks prior when I was getting annoyed with everything else, I logged in ran the tutorial landed in the howl and logged out after not being able to cut any trees for about 20 mins (they were all around fm) with some obscure message about karma. My brother came around a few days later and ran me through the basics and then went home and logged in to continue showing me around, I spent a few hours building some fences only to be ran off by someone logging in claiming the bit of grass I was fencing was his so whatever lol I moved on.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

My first initial is S  then my surname starts with Jack 

Sme is actually Samuel L. Jackson. Confirmed.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, CreZ said:

Sme is actually Samuel L. Jackson. Confirmed.

tenor_4.gif

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Shrimpiie said:

Way back in my DAoC days, there was a character class called Inconnu, they were primarily best as archers, which is what I was trying to create. Well if you know anything about DAoC or that particular class, they are incredibly small, so I pulled the size slider all the way down to make it even smaller, then I wanted a name to par, so I tried various iterations of "shrimp" until I caught one that wasn't taken, Shrimpiie. (I also had a big orc named Cheezball 😛)

No, the name does not come from the sea creature "Shrimp", but rather it was such a long drawn out process to explain where the name came from to folks, and most folks immediately assumed it was a sea creature related name, so I decided many years ago to just embrace it, and thus you have it!

Finally! I got my answer! I had been wondering forever what made you choose that name!

• Like 1

My preferred gamename started in the 80s.  If I had to provide a name for a game, I went with Loki, because it suited my play style - in competitive play I would always like to hide my strategy and misdirect, and set up for contingencies well ahead when they might be needed, or sometimes do something that would make no sense to anybody but me (or sometimes not even to me) just for fun and to create confusion.  There is also the aspect that in play I never forget that it is play, so I have no lasting stake in it and can merrily wear the cost to myself of doing odd things just for the fun of it even it hurts my interests in the game.  As games started to go online, I found Loki used a fair bit (especially in recent years since Marvel co-opted the name in the mass consciousness) so changed the spelling to LowKey - still pronounced the same but taking in another aspect of my play, where I would just be about my business and not be too confrontational, i.e. low key.  I was never a fan of just adding numbers to the end, so as LowKey became less available I would use variants by adding spaces or switching to leet (iirc in Halo I used L0K1).  I would also employee Tricksy (which did cause some people to assume I am female) or Trixter, or LowKey the Trickster and other such variants on the theme (I had online dealing with another trickster going by Til Eulenspiel so although I had been tempted to start using other tricksters, that made me stick with the Loki variants).  I am very late to Wurm, so wound up with Thetrickster which I am kind-of okay with, but it doesn't abbreviate very well - "LK" is a perfectly fine abbreviation for Loki in all it's variants and I would like to get the Loki bit back into my handle.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

My preferred gamename started in the 80s.  If I had to provide a name for a game, I went with Loki, because it suited my play style - in competitive play I would always like to hide my strategy and misdirect, and set up for contingencies well ahead when they might be needed, or sometimes do something that would make no sense to anybody but me (or sometimes not even to me) just for fun and to create confusion.  There is also the aspect that in play I never forget that it is play, so I have no lasting stake in it and can merrily wear the cost to myself of doing odd things just for the fun of it even it hurts my interests in the game.  As games started to go online, I found Loki used a fair bit (especially in recent years since Marvel co-opted the name in the mass consciousness) so changed the spelling to LowKey - still pronounced the same but taking in another aspect of my play, where I would just be about my business and not be too confrontational, i.e. low key.  I was never a fan of just adding numbers to the end, so as LowKey became less available I would use variants by adding spaces or switching to leet (iirc in Halo I used L0K1).  I would also employee Tricksy (which did cause some people to assume I am female) or Trixter, or LowKey the Trickster and other such variants on the theme (I had online dealing with another trickster going by Til Eulenspiel so although I had been tempted to start using other tricksters, that made me stick with the Loki variants).  I am very late to Wurm, so wound up with Thetrickster which I am kind-of okay with, but it doesn't abbreviate very well - "LK" is a perfectly fine abbreviation for Loki in all it's variants and I would like to get the Loki bit back into my handle.

Thanks for sharing! You were the person who prompted me to make this discussion. I have to admit I was very curious at first about your name. Is that the same in game? Thetrickster?

• Like 1

LOTRO was the first mmo I ever played and had never needed to come up with an avatar name before. Was watching Star Wars and Chancellor Valorum was on screen so I picked Valorum.

first stared Wurm as Valorum, got frustrated, quit, came back a year later, name was taken so I picked Xalorum. So here I am.

• Like 1

I go by two names mainly.

Blazecraze was devised when I was struggling to find a name for a mage from a previous MMO. I wanted to try capture the essence of how good I was at PvP on said MMO and that I was obsessed with the fire skilltree. The name stuck and became a staple as I moved from MMO to MMO.

My second name I go by is Mwikey.

My name is Mike, and the W was put in on my Steam name around 2008 when I was still a kid as one of the other kids I used to play online with pronounced it as 'Mwa-Key'. Not long afterwards the account went inactive for a short time and later on the account holders older sibling informed us that he had passed of the cancer he briefly joked about once or twice. R.I.P Pancakes 'Pwancakes'.

My first story for Wurm would probably be sometime on Chaos when a few friends and I hail merried arrows down on poor old KissyMap (another friend of ours) because he joined the wrong PMK ;)

Favourite one would have to be the one you've probably heard me tell 1000 times - When I delayed Deli launch by accident as me crossing the border somehow despawned the water, followed by Rolf following me for a good hour pretending to be a shark..where I was then killed by a real shark upon reaching Serendipity Bay as Rolf watches on, then conveniently is called elsewhere :P

• Like 1