Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

Moment of Inspiration should be, well a moment of inspiration

I know that "Moment of Inspiration" is simply the story telling part justifying the mechanism of possible rare creations/finds but it would be good if it actually functioned as a moment of inspiration and gave a gain to the skill(s) being used at the moment.    After all it doesn't say "You get lucky" to justify the rare but attributes it to inspiration, which should translate to something.

• Like 5

I agree.  There are so many actions where the moment is wasted.  Instead of getting nothing from tending, how about the moment granting 10 times the .000001 normally given?

• Like 5

it's not that common event to matter.

I'd rather see something more unique happening.

6 hours ago, Finnn said:

it's not that common event to matter.

I'd rather see something more unique happening.

I am not proposing to replace the current outcome, just add something in, so when you do get the event you get something from it even when you don't get a rare.  I guess the value of a skill gain is a matter of perspective - looking up from the teens and 20s or looking down from 80s and 90s. 

Or maybe increase the chance of a positive outcome, but add in skill gain and/or something else as well as rares as a possible outcome.  Make the skill gain significant (as much as a whole point?).  Grant a temporary but significant affinity, add some sleep bonus to the bar.  Treble whatever action you are doing at no cost.  For example, you could get 3 horseshoes instead of the one were working on, without using any more material, of if you were imping it the improvement is tripled.  Stuff like that.

When you hear the drum-roll and see the "aura" there should be some anticipation of not knowing what you will get, but whatever it is should I think still reflect the idea that you have had that inspirational or insightful moment and this is the result.

I think often in life we become inspired only to find out that it never comes to fruition. This suggestion forum is full of such examples. I'm afraid this will probably become one of those. While I get where you're coming from I just don't see it as practical. Especially when you toss out ideas like a full point in a skill which is like a year or more of effort if that point is 99 to 100.

10 minutes ago, CreZ said:

I think often in life we become inspired only to find out that it never comes to fruition. This suggestion forum is full of such examples. I'm afraid this will probably become one of those. While I get where you're coming from I just don't see it as practical. Especially when you toss out ideas like a full point in a skill which is like a year or more of effort if that point is 99 to 100.

I think you make some good points, and I think you may be right about the fate of this suggestion.  (The full skill point was just brainstorm - it could equally be just a multiple of whatever you have gained for the action if it wasn't inspired).

Currently the MOI in the middle of some tedious grindage is a bit like a single heartbeat on a flatlined scan.  A brief spike (the MOI) followed by a brief over-correction (the Moment of Disappointment, when you realize a single rare peg doesn't live up to the hype) and then back to beeeeeeeeeeeee.

------------^v-----------   when it should be  ________/-----------  

44 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Moment of Disappointment

HAHA!

From a MoI, you should automatically get skill for sure in every skill applicable.  Maybe twice your 'normal' skill gain?

Well in my last session of improving some items I got the MOI twice about 5 minutes apart.  The first time the action completed but apart from the brief migraine-aura and the orange text I got nothing.  The second time my improvement action failed and I damaged the item a little.  

Neither of these could be justified by the comment "You have a moment of inspiration!"  

At the very least, any action currently processing at the MOI should be guaranteed as a successful action.  Beyond that, there should always be something special about it.

• Like 1

I would be entirely happy if a moi simply gave the skill tick for sure. Think of it as the last peg added to a skill to move you from 99.999 to 100 even a failure you should learn something from it. Doesn’t need to be multiplied but may cut off months of tedious grind that’s entirely unnecessary 

Whole rarity system is bad.. (understatement)

there's the server bug where any server interaction during the rarity window - kills it if it's not action ending within the random server time rarity window 20-30 sec, you can right click to open a menu - rip your window and action chance to get a roll.. toll itself is 20% to turn a rare during improvement... some actions based on skill/tool/difficulty/rng.. can fail.. - rip your chance.... creation is 50% chance to stick the rare to the item.. ok.. greater chance.... so what do we do? - people bot... sit about all day and clap clap clap clap clap clap clap... until that rare/supreme item appears after several creations(several hundred.. thousand...) - GRRReeeAAtt gameplay... sit all day and press create every x seconds to assure being into every possible rolling 30seconds window once...

Do you see anything wrong with that? A serious bug, a cheesy system that gives a lot to botters and rarely something to people playing the game as intended maybe?

Maybe.

14 minutes ago, Finnn said:

there's the server bug where any server interaction during the rarity window - kills it if it's not action ending within the random server time rarity window 20-30 sec, you can right click to open a menu - rip your window and action chance to get a roll.. toll itself is 20% to turn a rare during improvement... some actions based on skill/tool/difficulty/rng.. can fail.. - rip your chance.... creation is 50% chance to stick the rare to the item.. ok.. greater chance.... so what do we do? - people bot... sit about all day and clap clap clap clap clap clap clap... until that rare/supreme item appears after several creations(several hundred.. thousand...) - GRRReeeAAtt gameplay... sit all day and press create every x seconds to assure being into every possible rolling 30seconds window once...

Do you see anything wrong with that? A serious bug, a cheesy system that gives a lot to botters and rarely something to people playing the game as intended maybe?

Maybe.

Well I like that. But adding skillgain whìle rare windows will be awesome, not chaning this system (I guess they won't change it whatever will happen anyway)

20 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Maybe.

Link to bug report topic?

22 minutes ago, Finnn said:

here's the server bug where any server interaction during the rarity window - kills it if it's not action ending within the random server time rarity window 20-30 sec, you can right click to open a menu - rip your window and action chance to get a roll.. toll itself is 20% to turn a rare during improvement...

This system seems more to promote "botting rares" in the sense of having an alt (or main) doing absolutely no action other than spamming stuff to churn out rares. I do feel in a way, rares are a bit....well too common to be honest. Rather than leaving it to RNG i'd rather see a more meritocratic system to earn rare bones than outright buying them from unique hunting groups. 

I do  wonder, when I click on a pm tab and write a message to someone during the supposed "rare window" , does the message writing consume the rare window?

3 minutes ago, Drayka said:

Link to bug report topic?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elentari said:

This system seems more to promote "botting rares" in the sense of having an alt (or main) doing absolutely no action other than spamming stuff to churn out rares. I do feel in a way, rares are a bit....well too common to be honest. Rather than leaving it to RNG i'd rather see a more meritocratic system to earn rare bones than outright buying them from unique hunting groups. 

I do  wonder, when I click on a pm tab and write a message to someone during the supposed "rare window" , does the message writing consume the rare window?

the right click to select to pm somebody should do cancel your window or rather 'consume' it as server event during the timer, repair actions cancel the window as well as they do nothing but sent server request for an action to receive the reply with - the item does not need repairing.. right click pulls menu for options from the server based on your skills etc.. it's why some menus are changed with skill or you also notice the refreshing on right click when you have some lag, lately after server migration it happens with any border crossing.

I'd like a Moment of Inspiration to never be nothing.  If I'm tending a field, then give me extra skill gain. It doesn't need to be much. Double normal would be fine. Similarly, if I'm improving something and it fails to go rare, extra skill gain makes a consolation prize. At least then every moment actually gives you something.

• Like 3