Sign in to follow this  
BDCKoolaid

Do not have permission to modify Wurm Online files

When attempting to delete the player file folders of characters I no longer have access to/no longer play, I am prompted to perform the action as an administrator, which I agree to, then am told "Access Denied" and that I need permission from an administrator on my desktop.

My PC only has one user that is myself and I have never before had issues modifying any file or folder on my desktop or being told access denied.

And I have checked, whether the game is currently running or not seems to have no effect on whether I am allowed to delete the folders in question.

Edit:

I have also tried editing the properties of the folders to claim ownership of them via advanced security settings. This has not worked either.

Edited by BDCKoolaid
New info

Before anyone says "this must be your windows causing an issue" no this is a thing that just happens i have it on 3 of my 4 pcs as well where i can not mess with player folders and it requires a different os/boot time deletion to get rid of the folders themselves which well normally isnt a big issue as how often do we delete player folders

One way to get around this is by using the program unlocker http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/ something i have used plenty of times try deleting it with that once it fails it will ask you if you want to remove it during startup and click yes and restart pc and affecting folder and files are gone

What happens isnt a permission issue in the standard way of "assign user to have full control over folder/take ownership and you can fix it" its that permissions get corrupted by wurm at some point along the way eg a wurm crash or what ever and it doesnt undo the "unable to delete file file in use" settings

Easiest for the users who are affected by it is to just use the above program to mark it for deletion upon restart and restart and be done with it as for wurm it really needs to check if locks are in place on those files and if so reset those permissions if possible as this has been a thing for years

Mind you this isnt a wurm unique issue any program can cause this if no checks are put in place to undo the mess and over time a folder can have such screwed up permissions that any windows os will just say "no way i cant tell what this folder's permissions are so i aint deleting it" but if the program who is locking the files has proper code in place to unlock files if it finds files still locked upon startup it will go a long way to lower this from happening

• Like 1

try dragging the file you want to delete to the desktop. then deleting it from there.

I find that sometimes I cannot delete folders that have files inside. It claims I don't have permission or ownership or something. I am on administrator account and no one else uses the computer. Nothing i do seems to allow me to "claim" ownership. It's not just Wurm either.

However

I discovered sometime back, that if I open the folder, I -can- mass delete all the loose files inside. And once the folder is empty, I can then delete the folder with no problem. It's a bit more work if you have folders with many folders inside and need to clean out each folder one at a time.

Dunno why. Windows is just weird sometimes. 

Anyway now whenever I get that message, I go through and empty out all files inside the folders and then delete the empty folders without any problem.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Before trying the software mentioned above by @wipeout, I figured I would give @Brash_Endeavorssuggestion a try and it worked just fine. Slightly annoying but very simple to get rid of all my unwanted player files and folders.

Thank you guys for helping me figure this one out. :)

• Like 1

Booting into safe-mode will also allow deletion of files, generally.