Sign in to follow this  
Araxiel

Please change journal entry requirement(destinations unknown)

How about simply increasing the number of rifts so they can fit more timezones? 1 rift every 9 days for regular servers is not enough and restrictive. 

At the moment I don't think rifts fit more than 1/3 of the Wurm player population and that's a restriction that isn't based on skill but simply physical impossibility of doing an activity in wurm that should be open for all. Having 4-5 rifts per server, one opening every 2 days would solve the issue. 

Either that or reduce the no. of rifts necessary to complete it. 

Edited by elentari

4 hours ago, Madnath said:

[120 titles, 99skill, 110s k imps&actions]

Worked on in your own time, not timegated, it's at your leisure

Worked on in your own time, not timegated, it's at your leisure

Worked on in your own time, not timegated, it's at your leisure, gained in the process of doing other things anyway

Right, that is the difference. Rifts, and global spells for priests being the only goals requiring community cooperation. And I think that there is rather too few than too much community interaction in Wurm.

And mind that the threadstarter explained that he had

already over 50% done with imp 100K times and around 30% done with perform 500K actions

And he is playing this instance of WO since Wurmageddon. I can say that I concluded imps short after and actions short before 100 rifts (and have still 14 titles to win with the "easy" titles long done mostly), but only because my playtime is ways above that of an average player with the same time elapsed since first logon. I would say that those goals are a job for 3-5 years of intense playing for someone only able to be on for a few hours a day.

[polemic about vet players]

1) Nobody here is playing a power card but you, nobody is saying they're annoyed to have to deal with other people.

Touche, and I apologize, the polemic was out of place and unnecessary. But let me explain that I am quite a bit tired about all the polemics in forums and chat about how much rifts (sometimes even impalongs) suck and are lame. Such hurts when you like rifts, like the players you meet there, the challenges they pose for non "bored vets" (kidding) and feeds stereotypes like the one I uttered. Not a justification though, of course.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum

Also would like to add rifts that could open just on a weekend so most people can fit them into their schedules During the workweek I doubt many have the time necessary to sail/ride to a rift, complete it and go back home. 

1 hour ago, elentari said:

Also would like to add rifts that could open just on a weekend so most people can fit them into their schedules During the workweek I doubt many have the time necessary to sail/ride to a rift, complete it and go back home. 

Even so, Johns weekend in America is not Joes weekend in Europe and neither are Jims weekend in Australia.  Time zones suck for fairness, especially when anything determined by a person usually favors Euros over anyone else

Edited by MrGARY

Perhaps extending number of rifts on weekends so they can fit all timezones, Euro, Pacific, Australia, Asia would be most appropriate. That way all would have a chance to do them.

Edited by elentari

3 hours ago, Kichi said:

I never thought i'd see one of our late-night discord rants posted on the forums...
  But yes, the other issue is that the starting times for most of the rifts.  Being that they either start in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday or the middle of the night. But in reality, I'm unsure if there is anyway to orchestrate a particular time that will work for a majority of people.  It's just getting a little old having to set alarm clocks for 2am.

This topic has been discussed since journal got added lmfao

2 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Right, that is the difference. Rifts, and global spells for priests being the only goals requiring community cooperation. And I think that there is rather too few than too much community interaction in Wurm.

And mind that the threadstarter explained that he had

And he is playing this instance of WO since Wurmageddon. I can say that I concluded imps short after and actions short before 100 rifts (and have still 14 titles to win with the "easy" titles long done mostly), but only because my playtime is ways above that of an average player with the same time elapsed since first logon. I would say that those goals are a job for 3-5 years of intense playing for someone only able to be on for a few hours a day.

Touche, and I apologize, the polemic was out of place and unnecessary. But let me explain that I am quite a bit tired about all the polemics in forums and chat about how much rifts (sometimes even impalongs) suck and are lame. Such hurts when you like rifts, like the players you meet there, the challenges they pose for non "bored vets" (kidding) and feeds stereotypes like the one I uttered. Not a justification though, of course.

I think generally forcing any playstyle is a bit lame, but in this case the rifts forcing people to be social isn't really the issue here. Rifts have a place in the journal, but not as they currently are. 100 is too many, it needs to be a more reasonable task if it's to stay and maybe not even in the final tier. The best of these goals, are tasks where we can make them what we want them to be. Sure, I could have done the 25 veins goal solo, but instead I'm working for free to do a canal project on Xanadu in order to both help people and get the goal done. It's this open ended approach which is what's a big draw to the game.

And with the age of the game and the type of playerbase it's held, along with other factors, you can't really strike a good middle ground for both new and old accounts with the journal, and it's not like the goals can be shifted fairly even if the journal were different based on playtime. For a very small select amount of players, 100 rifts might have been a good way to force them to do more to get that cape, however new players and players who just didn't enjoy rifts are now being shafted. And let's not pretend that the reward for this tier is crap, as much as the cape design sucks, it's still a very unique item and the affinity gain rate boost is golden, telling people to simply not do it is not a valid argument.

I get you're frustrated on how a feature you like is constantly crapped on by the community, but a 2 to 3 hour whacking gallery really isn't very fun for the majority, and it seems like we're getting no changes to the mechanics of them anytime soon.

I've personally said for a while, rift number for the journal should be lowered, but the position of it in the journal list needs to go lower also. It's very hard and weird to balance for the final, most powerful tier of the journal and there's a fair few features and mechanics which got snubbed around the journal already as it is.

• Like 1

My two cents are,I don't care if it takes 1 year or 5 years,but make it be something I can work on my own time and terms and depending on my powers! don't make me go spend 5 hours on something that is on your terms and time.

From my first day on the first rifts I said they are a bad idea,boring and waste of time.

You could come up with some kind of choices.. go to 100 rifts or grind 5 skills to 99 or hunt 100k mobs..

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jonydowy said:

My two cents are,I don't care if it takes 1 year or 5 years,but make it be something I can work on my own time and terms and depending on my powers! don't make me go spend 5 hours on something that is on your terms and time.

From my first day on the first rifts I said they are a bad idea,boring and waste of time.

You could come up with some kind of choices.. go to 100 rifts or grind 5 skills to 99 or hunt 100k mobs..

That's the crux of the matter there. 100 rifts imply forcing players to play on a certain timeframe and not when they are free to do so.

And the idea of having optional choices for goals is actually a pretty cool one that I haven't though about .

Do 100 rifts

OR

Kill 5000 trolls (random ex)

OR

Build 3 Valrei Monuments solo (they still require quite a lot of mats) 

I would be curious how many people would choose rifts over those 2 other options.

One of the greatest freedoms Wurm offers vs many other mmos on the market and it is a gem due to that, is the fact you can choose your own playstyle. No playstyle is enforced.

You want to live like a hermit on top of a mountain ? Go for it bud.

Want to make your own island? Do it.

Want to pvp? You have the option.

Want to live in relative safety in a big village? The choice is on the table.

Want to live like a nomad? Grab a tent, your horse and whatever tools you can carry. Or a sailboat. The option is there.

Rifts force a playstyle. One that is timegated and relies in having the luck of RL commitments not getting in the way. Add to that the fact that rifts are simply boring as heck and my brain starts to think "Why am I doing this to myself?"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, elentari said:

That's the crux of the matter there. 100 rifts imply forcing players to play on a certain timeframe and not when they are free to do so.

And the idea of having optional choices for goals is actually a pretty cool one that I haven't though about .

Do 100 rifts

OR

Kill 5000 trolls (random ex)

OR

Build 3 Valrei Monuments solo (they still require quite a lot of mats) 

Doing these two other things is still a fraction of the duration compared to 100 rifts.

and I would guess a majority of the people in this thread including myself would choose to do 5k trolls anyday compared to 100 rifts.

It all comes down to time sensitive content.

As I said, they were random examples, I haven't done the math to adjust the time necessary, but the numbers can be tweaked. The point is, give us something we can do on our own time. Not when Wurm allows narrow window of opportunities.

2 minutes ago, Kichi said:

Doing these two other things is still a fraction of the duration compared to 100 rifts.

and I would guess a majority of the people in this thread including myself would choose to do 5k trolls anyday compared to 100 rifts.

It all comes down to time sensitive content.

It is just an example, and also the time it takes it should depend on your self,not forced by the game.We have to be able to work on goals whenever we want or have the time to do so no matter how hard or easy they are,not change our real life style for the wurm goals. :)

the rift goal atm is not hard by the real meaning of the word HARD it just time set by the devs,you just go there on the time they want you too and spend the time they want you too.

I think the 250 missions is enough of a timegate for the journal as it is lol

The 250 mission one is still way easier than rifts tho. Considering there's dozens of missions per week, many of them soloable, not to mention you can always plot course to any server, check missions and see if they are doable. Or check Epic for easy missions. I know a lot of people do that.

But rifts are still quite difficult right now due to all the arguments previously mentioned.

43 minutes ago, elentari said:

The 250 mission one is still way easier than rifts tho. Considering there's dozens of missions per week, many of them soloable, not to mention you can always plot course to any server, check missions and see if they are doable. Or check Epic for easy missions. I know a lot of people do that.

But rifts are still quite difficult right now due to all the arguments previously mentioned.

For sure, but I think that's a good level of timegating. It's not because it doesn't matter, it's because you can overcome the timegating with travel, doing something actually within the game world, rather than just waiting on your home server for the crap missions to change.

6 hours ago, Madnath said:

I've personally said for a while, rift number for the journal should be lowered, but the position of it in the journal list needs to go lower also. It's very hard and weird to balance for the final, most powerful tier of the journal and there's a fair few features and mechanics which got snubbed around the journal already as it is.

Making "complete 10 rifts" instead of "catch your second tier of useless fish" would sactually drive players to go experience the content earlier on in their gameplay and provide the exposure that I think these sort of goals are meant to provide. Waiting until the final tier people already either like rifts or have no interest in them.

One other thing is that I'd like to point out 100 rifts is still more viable than "become a demigod" or many of the other previous personal goals. That said once they removed the sorcery goals everything left in the PGs still seems easier than the rifts:

Spoiler

79pVdZW.pngRwnUgNE.png3KvFFRs.png5ohPrcT.pngjWqXNyC.pngc7Ls21I.png?1

That 175kg fish one though...

^ mhm

I'd say "100 rifts is doable" with corona outside.. and everybody staying at home... and looking for entertainment.. but than again people who can.. work from home now so... no can't say anything changed than.. 100 rifts - not doable..  with the way rifts spawn mostly during the week and the varying hours it happens.

Hopefully one day devs realize working people can't give a .. about events at odd times, no matter how much they want to do them.. few things are at least a bit more important than slaying bunnies at 4am +the added time to prepare for.., do the event and return home... #insane

18 hours ago, CreZ said:

One other thing is that I'd like to point out 100 rifts is still more viable than "become a demigod" or many of the other previous personal goals. That said once they removed the sorcery goals everything left in the PGs still seems easier than the rifts:

Reveal hidden contents

79pVdZW.pngRwnUgNE.png3KvFFRs.png5ohPrcT.pngjWqXNyC.pngc7Ls21I.png?1

I mean that's the whole reason personal goals were yeeted out the window

Despite 100 rifts being doable or not...

Today we finished 1 rift. Only two players, it took a lot of time.

My reward? 0,26 kg of rare seryll lump.

Biggest waste of time I have ever seen.

We had similar amounts of participation points.

Edited by Wilczan

100 rifts.. "undoable"... check how many people have done it...

it's a crazy high number for an even happening at random times once every 9 days.. and taking the hours it takes to do... also all the traveling and preparation time before & after a rift..

"it is just insane to think this is sane" - finn

He means Epic where I would confirm that 100 rifts are more than a bit hard. Assuming you do rifts on your home server only (which is a sane assumption given the number of players on Epic) there are at most 40.55 possible rift events per year, to be done with 2 or bit more participants (which is possible but a pain). Realistically 10-20 max can be done so is a matter of 5 to 10 years. That is bit over the top.

A possibility would be to weigh rifts on Epic with a factor of 5 or 10.

But yes, many Freedom players go to Epic to do e.g. the ql 80 armour piece, or the 70 prayer for Benediction if priest. So Epic players could go to Freedom for rifts. 

I'm at 70% of the rifts. I hate them, they are boring like hell and there is not even an incentive to actually kill the boss mob. With the rift overhaul these are even more a boring crap, the mobs are weak so everyone just rushes in the middle and it is a dumb hack and slash. Rift tries to solve the issues with the vast number of mobs ... but that only makes it longer not less boring.

To be honest I have no idea why I chase that journal tier, it does not really worth the time and effort... other than the med rug on  the back.

Most of the tier requirements are coming from just playing the game - ok cooking recipes are a chore but can do it in your pace.

Edited by Jaz

Having the same issues with rifts and timing (even though I play a lot) plus I have been playing this game for over three years and have yet to even see a unique. Makes it virtually impossible to complete many of the journal tasks. And honestly if I wasn't told there were Uniques, I would never have known they even existed in this game!

Edited by Katrat

42 minutes ago, Katrat said:

Having the same issues with rifts and timing (even though I play a lot) plus I have been playing this game for over three years and have yet to even see a unique. Makes it virtually impossible to complete many of the journal tasks. And honestly if I wasn't told there were Uniques, I would never have known they even existed in this game!

Actually most of the slayings of bipedal uniques are public and lately even some of the winged ones are too - just check the threads of Stanlee.

Those are almost always announced with a few days leadtime in the corresponding server sections on the forums.

• Like 1

I'm likely to manage 100 rifts on freedom before I manage any of the "improve item" goals...

This is just one of those "be patient" kind of goals.

However...  Rifts are less fun now, the healing nerfs have really taken away from them (forced safe area waits for Res to drop off, insane saccables cost to maintain healing cover).  This needs heavily tweaking for rifts (slower build up in rift area at a minimum).  Also, points for non-magical healing of others!