Sign in to follow this  
Zera

Game won't start... Anything

afraid of sounding redundant, but have you tried uninstalling steam and reinstalling? its not a matter of just updating it. like Batta said it helped her, and it did help me once too when i couldnt log in.

if you have tried it then its not the problem, but if you havent tried it give it a go. i cant guarantee it will fix it but theres not many options. also wu comes with java bundled so i wouldnt use a different verssion os java for it.

1 minute ago, Griffith said:

afraid of sounding redundant, but have you tried uninstalling steam and reinstalling? its not a matter of just updating it. like Batta said it helped her, and it did help me once too when i couldnt log in.

if you have tried it then its not the problem, but if you havent tried it give it a go. i cant guarantee it will fix it but theres not many options. also wu comes with java bundled so i wouldnt use a different verssion os java for it.

Using the bundled version made no difference than using the non-bundled version.

And here's a funny story.

I had to completely reformat my PC a couple of months ago.

It stopped working prior to that, and it hasn't worked since then either...

Spoiler

I've now tried:

• Verified Game Files (With each failed attempt mind you, not just once)
  • Reinstalling the game via Steam
  • Reinstalling the game via Steam AFTER deleting all remaining folders and files left after the UnInstall
  • Reinstalling BOTH Java 32 and 64
  • Reinstalling Microsoft C++ 2010, 2012 and 2015 (As suggested in some google searched thread)
  • Changing the following setting in LaunchConfig.ini (I've tried with this both set to TRUE and FALSE)

[Runtime]
OverrideDefaultJavaPath=true
JavaPath=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_241\bin\server
  • Adding the missing gamesettings.txt to the following folder path location 

Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\PlayerFiles\configs\default

• Copying files from Wurm Online's folders so now I have autorun.txt and words.dat in the same folder location as above.

I'm currently in the process of backing up my Game data so that I can uninstall and reinstall Steam as a last resort here... But I am not holding my breath that this is going to work for me in any way shape or form.

Well, whatever happened a reinstall of Steam seems to have resolved the game not launching..

But my apparent backup method failed and I lost all game-data for all my games... XD

Now to sit and decide if it was worth it.

10 minutes ago, Zera said:

Now to sit and decide if it was worth it.

always worth it, you just learned to backup more often and what does not work - look at the positive, and with corona out there, you're safe to start over in wurm ;)

Just now, Finnn said:

always worth it, you just learned to backup more often and what does not work - look at the positive, and with corona out there, you're safe to start over in wurm ;)

Always worth it?

I've just lost hundreds of hours in other games to get Wurm Unlimited working...

I backed up last night, I've done nothing else prior to uninstalling Steam except backing up all my game-files only to learn it did nothing for me.

So quick update...

After reinstalling Steam and ALL of my games once again.. WU started working.
Which I was able to launch, create a character and map and play for a little while until I had to run a few errands.
When I came back a few hours later and just now tried to launch the game again, I am once again seeing this error:

Spoiler

Unexpected crash while setting up login The error was: <null>

It's possible you might figure out what's wrong from the log file below, but if you can't, post the full log on the wurm unlimited forums, and someone else might be able to help you.

Contents of temporary launch log:
java.library.path: Z:\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\nativelibs
Time is Sun Mar 15 16:30:59 EDT 2020
Running client version 

=== System information ===
Executing from Z:\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\
Operating system: Windows 10 (arch: amd64, version: 10.0)
Java version: 1.8.0_172 (Oracle Corporation) <http://java.oracle.com/>
Jvm version: 25.172-b11 (Oracle Corporation) [Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM]
Available CPUs: 8

Loading character Daecie
Loading config default
Loading props file PlayerFiles\configs\default\gamesettings.txt
====== CLIENT CRASH ======
Unexpected crash while setting up login
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    at com.wurmonline.client.settings.Profile.loadSettings(Profile.java:395)
    at com.wurmonline.client.settings.Profile.loadConfig(Profile.java:331)
    at com.wurmonline.client.settings.Profile.loadPlayer(Profile.java:303)
    at com.wurmonline.client.settings.Profile.init(Profile.java:129)
    at com.wurmonline.client.settings.Profile.getProfile(Profile.java:104)
    at com.wurmonline.client.startup.ServerBrowserFX.<init>(ServerBrowserFX.java:242)
    at com.wurmonline.client.launcherfx.WurmMain.prepareLaunch(WurmMain.java:243)
    at com.wurmonline.client.launcherfx.WurmMain.start(WurmMain.java:193)
    at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$161(LauncherImpl.java:863)
    at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$174(PlatformImpl.java:326)
    at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$null$172(PlatformImpl.java:295)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$173(PlatformImpl.java:294)
    at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:95)
    at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
    at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.lambda$null$147(WinApplication.java:177)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
    at com.wurmonline.client.options.screenres.DisplayDevice.getResolution(DisplayDevice.java:91)
    at com.wurmonline.client.launcherfx.controls.DisplayOptionControl.setToDefault(DisplayOptionControl.java:122)
    at com.wurmonline.client.launcherfx.controls.DisplayOptionControl.<init>(DisplayOptionControl.java:89)
    at com.wurmonline.client.launcherfx.WurmSettingsFX.<clinit>(WurmSettingsFX.java:167)
    ... 17 more

Now I had installed a couple of client side mods, and was able to play earlier with these mods installed.

In attempt to troubleshoot, I removed the mods folder from my client launcher and tried to launch with only the ModLoader itself (as it's part of my client) but still get the same error.

So I once again uninstall the game, reinstall it and try again with a fresh install (deleting any remaining files left-over), no mods, no edits to any files... 

I am NOT going to keep reinstalling Steam every time I want to launch this game.. It's just not going to happen, because that is NOT a solution!

I'm right back to where I started again when I started this thread.. Right down to the lacking configuration files, etc;

So, any OTHER suggestions that don't involve a revolving door of install/uninstall Steam and every other game I own?

Edited by Zera

i agree with you. its a problem that has affected many people, read customers, and the game developers should fix it and if its on steams end the wurm developers should at least contact steam to have it fixed.

in the meantime (never because i doubt they will do anything, like they havent tried to help you here either), if steam and/or wu are running in the task manager, end the processes. and try again. if that doesnt work. again end the programs in the task manager, and try moving steam to a non protected folder like c:games instead of c:program files (x86). again we are just trying workarounds and theres no guarantees, its a bug. if you cant get it fixed theres always the customers review section on steam for you to give your experience.

10 hours ago, Griffith said:

i agree with you. its a problem that has affected many people, read customers, and the game developers should fix it and if its on steams end the wurm developers should at least contact steam to have it fixed.

in the meantime (never because i doubt they will do anything, like they havent tried to help you here either), if steam and/or wu are running in the task manager, end the processes. and try again. if that doesnt work. again end the programs in the task manager, and try moving steam to a non protected folder like c:games instead of c:program files (x86). again we are just trying workarounds and theres no guarantees, its a bug. if you cant get it fixed theres always the customers review section on steam for you to give your experience.

Steam isn't in a protected folder, it's not even located on the C:/ Drive at all.

I'm going to have to chalk it up to one of those things that "Used to work once upon a time, but never will again" at this rate then.
As I've tried everything else I can think of and I wind up with no change in the end results.

While as frustrating and irritating as this is, I don't feel that writing a negative review on a game I actually do love would help me or anyone else in any way.

This is unfortunately how many games wind up suffering in the ratings department when folks decide they don't like something, a change, a bug or whatever it is and claim the whole game is garbage because of it...

Frustrating as I wanted to play WU for the leisure and freedom of it rather WO which is a tad more demanding of finances+time. 😧

my bad.. above thought you only uninstalled WU not steam.. entirely...
somebody in steam discussions mentioned that being a COMMON issue for WU and steam.. and that it's coming from steam_api.dll or something like that.., have you tried as stupid as it might be to... delete the steam-api dll from WU's folder and to verify WU-files(making it redownload it.. hopefully fix it that way)?

Unsure how other steam/wu players fix the issue, have you tried asking in steam community for help with this error?

37 minutes ago, Finnn said:

my bad.. above thought you only uninstalled WU not steam.. entirely...
somebody in steam discussions mentioned that being a COMMON issue for WU and steam.. and that it's coming from steam_api.dll or something like that.., have you tried as stupid as it might be to... delete the steam-api dll from WU's folder and to verify WU-files(making it redownload it.. hopefully fix it that way)?

Unsure how other steam/wu players fix the issue, have you tried asking in steam community for help with this error?

In the past, yes. But Steam Community in general is never overly helpful.. XD
For whatever reason reinstalling the game now (as I had uninstalled it after my last post) it booted right up.

So I haven't the foggiest idea what it's problem is, but it's becoming increasingly frustrating each day.

• Like 1

Managed to get it functional through some magical means last night, played just fine all day.

Lay down for a nap, wake up and it won't launch again...

Of course Steam is dead, nothing going on there.. I've posted about my problem and even linked back to this thread, have no idea what's going on still and am back to randomly deleting files in hopes that something will function again. *sigh*

😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠

Reinstall, reinstall, reverify, reverify, delete, delete, backup, delete, reinstall, crash steam...

What does it take to get this damn client working!?

It works, then it doesn't work..

Then it works, then it doesn't work...

It is SO inconsistent and it randomly decides when it is or isn't going to work that I haven't a foggiest idea what it is I do or don't do that get it working Today, Yesterday, Last Night or anywhere in between!!!!

It's ALWAYS the same error, that's the only consistent thing about this whole mess!

Doesn't matter if I've got modlauncher patched, not patched, mods installed, not installed, fresh install, verified.. Nothing..

I'm incredibly frustrated that this appears to be a problem STILL and even though apparently it's a common problem (so everyone keeps saying) I can NOT find a solution for it ANYWHERE I look.

Videos, Forums, Steam, nothing.. Not a single source anywhere I can find has a solution for what I've been fighting with all week!

I've seen lots of "Change your game resolution" answers but how is someone supposed to do that if they can't even get the launcher started!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I can't find ANYTHING in any files to change it manually (without launcher) either, so now what!?

Did a bunch of junk, including restarting PC.
Game decides to launch.. (Go figure).

• Set resolution to: 1024x768
  • Windows Resizable
  • 60 hz

After this, if it decides to stop working again randomly.. I think I can safely rule out my screen settings. 🙄

Update: I had some errands to run today so I quit the game, launched the launcher and left the launcher running while I was away for several hours. I was able to use that launcher to play the game for the next hour after returning home. However, as soon as I exited the game I found I was unable to relaunch it and was met with that same ugly error pop-up again...

Spoiler

Unexpected crash while setting up login The error was: <null>

It's possible you might figure out what's wrong from the log file below, but if you can't, post the full log on the wurm unlimited forums, and someone else might be able to help you.

Contents of temporary launch log:
java.library.path: Z:\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\nativelibs
Time is Wed Mar 18 15:00:33 EDT 2020
Running client version 

=== System information ===
Executing from Z:\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\
Operating system: Windows 10 (arch: amd64, version: 10.0)
Java version: 1.8.0_172 (Oracle Corporation) <http://java.oracle.com/>
Jvm version: 25.172-b11 (Oracle Corporation) [Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM]
Available CPUs: 8

Loading character Daecie
Loading config default
Loading props file PlayerFiles\configs\default\gamesettings.txt
====== CLIENT CRASH ======
Unexpected crash while setting up login
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    at com.wurmonline.client.settings.Profile.loadSettings(Profile.java:395)
    at com.wurmonline.client.settings.Profile.loadConfig(Profile.java:331)
    at com.wurmonline.client.settings.Profile.loadPlayer(Profile.java:303)
    at com.wurmonline.client.settings.Profile.init(Profile.java:129)
    at com.wurmonline.client.settings.Profile.getProfile(Profile.java:104)
    at com.wurmonline.client.startup.ServerBrowserFX.<init>(ServerBrowserFX.java:242)
    at com.wurmonline.client.launcherfx.WurmMain.prepareLaunch(WurmMain.java:243)
    at com.wurmonline.client.launcherfx.WurmMain.start(WurmMain.java:193)
    at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$161(LauncherImpl.java:863)
    at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$174(PlatformImpl.java:326)
    at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$null$172(PlatformImpl.java:295)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$173(PlatformImpl.java:294)
    at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:95)
    at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
    at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.lambda$null$147(WinApplication.java:177)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
    at com.wurmonline.client.options.screenres.DisplayDevice.getResolution(DisplayDevice.java:91)
    at com.wurmonline.client.launcherfx.controls.DisplayOptionControl.setToDefault(DisplayOptionControl.java:122)
    at com.wurmonline.client.launcherfx.controls.DisplayOptionControl.<init>(DisplayOptionControl.java:89)
    at com.wurmonline.client.launcherfx.WurmSettingsFX.<clinit>(WurmSettingsFX.java:167)
    ... 17 more

Restarting Steam did not fix the error. Verifying did not fix the error.
No changes were made to files, settings or otherwise since I had it working this morning. (With the exception of deleting a mod from the SERVER portion. Which still launches just fine.)

Restarted my PC, still no changes to any files, no verification ran, nada....
Game launches...
What the hell.... -.-

Edited by Zera

I wanted to update this for anyone else who is suffering from a similar problem:

Restart my PC worked because it was "refreshing" or "reloading" my Graphics Driver.
Now I don't know what's wrong with my Graphics Driver that causes this, but rather than having to restart my PC multiple times a day just to play I've found that Reinstalling my Graphics Driver when it acts out, can allow me to play the game again.

Worth a shot for anyone else also experiencing the same problems.