Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

Name change?

Can we get name changes now that RMT and Character Trading is gone? Pretty please?

• Like 7

Yeah, Madnath is a name I'm incredible eager to shed

4 hours ago, Madnath said:

Yeah, Madnath is a name I'm incredible eager to shed

maybe Mathod instead (Though this be Madnath, there is Mathod in't)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

Let me guess. "Someone gonna behave bad and then gonna change a name"?

Worry not, all freedomers are on a leash anyway.

I imagine the fear is someone will shake off their bad reputation after doing bad things by changing their name. Because its always been such a big problem.

29 minutes ago, Shrimpiie said:

No.

It's going to be optional, no one would force you to change yours, like it shouldn't bother your what i am doing with mine.

3 hours ago, Wargasm said:

1 hour ago, Shrimpiie said:

No.

Since we're actively being asked to actually talk about things, what are the reasons for this? There are a number of ways the """"damage"""" from this could be mitigated

There were suggestions, many of them, that new name could be displayed for few months like "new name" formerly known as "old name" plus also some global announcements etc, but well.

2 hours ago, Tor said:

It's going to be optional, no one would force you to change yours, like it shouldn't bother your what i am doing with mine.

But it does bother me if you change your name.  Maybe you stole from people, maybe you griefed people, that reputation should stick with you until Wurm Online closes their doors.

10 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

But it does bother me if you change your name.  Maybe you stole from people, maybe you griefed people, that reputation should stick with you until Wurm Online closes their doors.

Simple solution is for it to be possible to view past names. Easiest example is runescape, when someone changes their name you can still mouse over it and it'll display the past username too. 

People probably won't bother to name change just to escape a bad rep, as it would likely cost some silvers to do so. They would simply make new accounts if they're only into Wurm for griefing. 

Punishing the many for the potential and unlikely actions of the few.

+1

Edited by Jore
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jore said:

Punishing the many for the potential and unlikely actions of the few.

You just described 90% of the recent game changes.  

3 minutes ago, Jore said:

Simple solution is for it to be possible to view past names.

But this would defeat the purpose of someone wanting a "new" identity.  

• Like 2

We'll be looking into this as we're not against it. 

It wouldn't be free and would have a cooldown for sure

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

You just described 90% of the recent game changes.  

But this would defeat the purpose of someone wanting a "new" identity.  

Bit of a stretch there, but lets stay on topic. 

Again, the people wanting to change names aren't looking to leave the rep of their past one behind. They're not wanting a fresh start, they're not trying to deceive. Maybe they don't like the name they chose 5 years ago? There's very little harm in allowing them to change it, and the potential risks for those doing it for malicious reasons can be negated by imposing a cooldown, offering a way to view their original name, etc.

29 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

The reputation argument might fly if there was never accounts trade. It's up to you to remain paranoid about who is who now, since so many accounts changed so many hands now you never know since no one keeping a track. However, those that remain plaiying this game and didn't had a chance to get their account back would be nice to have a name of their chice, or not.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Please make it happen retro

my first nick wouldnt fit so i had to use an alternative and at that time my first thought was just give the game a try, then make another account or something, but after seeing to hard it was to raise the skills, all the hard work that had been put into the account, i decided i would continue with this nick. I would love to have a chance to fix the nick

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I always figured it should either cost something and have a very long cooldown, like maybe a year or more.

Or, free first time and not possible to change it after.

52 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

The issue with this logic is you're then going to withhold good features from people because the minority of people do something bad, and that is terrible. Again, this is easy to get around and honestly, this argument would hold more water if it was easy to escape your negative reputation even now. Hell, Johnson is it? Posted a chatlog from someone who figured out who he was and told him to F off from a trade.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Not everyone who wants to change their name are doing it because they have a bad reputation. It was never an issue in the past given how many people traded accounts so why would it be now? The "but but reputation!" argument is such a weak one that it disregards the benefits changing your name could have for player retention and happiness.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Retrograde said:

10 silver and you can only do it once ever or has a 1 year cool down twice the cool down as a deed name change 

2 hours ago, leander said:

10 silver and you can only do it once ever or has a 1 year cool down twice the cool down as a deed name change 

Most MMOs that provide this service do it at a rate of about 20e so I wouldnt be surprised if they monetize it at about that amount. I would imagine its something that would require it being done manually by devs.

On 3/15/2020 at 5:22 AM, Shrimpiie said:

No.

Well, who can refute such a cogent and persuasive argument as that?

Isn't there a whole sticky topic that goes to great length to say don't just vote?

On 3/15/2020 at 8:38 AM, Retrograde said:

Cooldown;  for sure.

Not free; what about the first one?  Some of us (many of us?) currently have names that are NOT what they wanted from the start.  I know I gave up and picked a "not the worst" alternative to my desired name, figuring that like almost every other MMOG I had played the starting kit would include 1 name-change (it's usually token based, with one included in the starter gear and more available for in-game purchase).  Likewise with character appearance, one included free and anything after that bought.  This I believe has become standard, and reflects an understanding that people just want to get up and running when they try a game, and often compromise (skimp, even) on the character creation part in order to get to the gameplay ('tis a story as old as RPG, the R gets left till after some P-ing of the G).  

If name change is implemented, I would really like to see the first one free.  Perhaps it could even be first one free for premium - that would give newbies an additional incentive, beyond getting past the skill caps.  It could be implemented by way of identity papers ("Birth" certificate?) sent to every "ever premium" account and after that sent for every new premium.  Activating it would allow a change of name and appearance - going premium would be an appropriate time for "let's get serious about this character."  Sending to the "ever premium" accounts that are non-active may in some small percentage entice people back for a medium-fresh start.  Make it non-drop, obviously, and unable to be traded away.