Sign in to follow this  
Oblivionnreaver

change valrei mission item missions

unless you've changed it with an undocumented patch or something like you seem to like doing, having multiple of these missions up at the same time doesn't increase the chance of finding the items, just splits them randomly between the missions named things, and with the last patch they now only contribute to their own mission, so when you get some garbage like c1a799554f86f1a26fd0c12273527ae0.png

if you want a new mission from those 3, you're gonna have to find 48 in total just to get the 16 one out of the way. i dont know what the odds of a dig/arch mission are but having 2+ up is a super common occurrence so i'd say either they're more common than other missions or nobody wants to do them because they're too much effort and they block up mission slots.

suggestions for change 

- Only allow 1 sacrifice hidden x mission up at a time

- revert the change where they have to be the same name

- make them have seperate drop rates.if one missions up you'll have 1/50 chance form arch and 1/250 chance from digging. if it's 2 missions up you have 1/100 arch and 1/500 for a specific missions item, make it so each mission has its own drop rate that's not impacted by the other missions

- make them spawn all over the world like they used to alongside being from arch/digging, seriously they were way better when they were like that

- tone down the scaling on them, currently its diff squared, which means it starts at 1 which finishes near instantly and maxes out at 49 which is quite a lot of digging/arch to do for a single mission, the difficulty ramps up hard but the rewards are lower because you're sharing them with more people, penalizing a server for having higher diff missions. Diff x 4 would cap it at 28 for a 7 diff mission which i feel is much more reasonable.

• Like 5

+1 . I would like to be how it was before, maybe just use one generic name for them all and maybe scale it down to reflect actual population doing this missions. I don't really care much how it's going to be changed as long it work as intended and expected

2 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

if you want a new mission from those 3, you're gonna have to find 48 in total just to get the 16 one out of the way. i dont know what the odds of a dig/arch mission are but having 2+ up is a super common occurrence so i'd say either they're more common than other missions or nobody wants to do them because they're too much effort and they block up mission slots.

this type of missions made fun of lil js skill kid... are you suggesting to mmake js useful again by removing these?

2 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

- make them spawn all over the world like they used to alongside being from arch/digging, seriously they were way better when they were like that

definitely a NO to spawning 150 of these on the map... 

it worked before with only 10-15tops.. but 3-4 missions with 40 each.. come on.......  no.

problem is .. it's not a 1 unique mission type that picks 1 random item to get/sac...

some dev made them separate mission/s... making them rotate much more in the que.. (guessing)

55 minutes ago, Finnn said:

this type of missions made fun of lil js skill kid... are you suggesting to mmake js useful again by removing these?

translation please

• Cat 1

Yeah, i agree. with all the trouble on freedom, just make them similar way as epic is - Just 1 mission per server. SORTED

5 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

- make them have seperate drop rates.if one missions up you'll have 1/50 chance form arch and 1/250 chance from digging. if it's 2 missions up you have 1/100 arch and 1/500 for a specific missions item, make it so each mission has its own drop rate that's not impacted by the other missions

I think you just suggested that they get more rare the more missions there are. You probably meant 1/25 and 1/125?

This was way better for sure. Maybe I only say that because I don't spend all my time trying to do arch as the new meta for characteristics and rares but finding them out in random places had the same feeling of fun surprise as finding an easter egg or new years chest.

1 minute ago, CreZ said:

I think you just suggested that they get more rare the more missions there are. You probably meant 1/25 and 1/125?

You have 1/50 and 1/250 chance for a mission item no matter how many missions are up. it has an equal chance of being any of the current missions up so if there's 2 missions its 1/100 and 1/500 chance for each missions specific item. coulda worded that better i guess

Ah my bad. You were stating what is, I thought you were suggesting what it would change to. I got you now.

Before the change, occurrence of more than one such mission was no major issue, at least not on Xanadu. It was bit strange though. The missions, when saccing, were served in a LIFO (stack) order, the last incoming mission was served first. That caused strange occurrences when mission #1 was already at 96% and the new mission had to be completed first, but ok, as one could use every kind of item, it was not much of a trouble except that you could only finish 1 mission at a time.

To be honest, those "scratching (jokingly for archeology) missions" never lasted very long, rather were extended as people chose hoarding valrei items for trade or for own rarity bonus. But it smells as if the "bug fix" is causing new issues, especially on low pop servers. 

they will be rolling for each individual item, meaning if three are up you have three separate rolls for an item. 

We'll see how that goes before making further changes 

2 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

they will be rolling for each individual item, meaning if three are up you have three separate rolls for an item. 

so 3 missions = 3x1/250 rolls per dig?

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Yes

do you think that's a wise decision with ~3second digging actions?

it's further breaking at least 2 if not more things in the game, rather than fixing 1 problem instead.. 😑

4 minutes ago, Finnn said:

do you think that's a wise decision with ~3second digging actions?

it's further breaking at least 2 if not more things in the game, rather than fixing 1 problem instead.. 😑

the only thing thats broken is that valrei mission items are allowed to exist in the game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

the only thing thats broken is that valrei missions are allowed to exist in the game

Fixed

1 hour ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

the only thing thats broken is that valrei mission items are allowed to exist in the game

they were kind of ok when we had missions with 5-10 of these.. spread around the world.. it was a bit harder to find one.... it was "super rare" to have 2-3, maybe not for exploring the map people but.. most had hard time finding these.. they were somewhat easy to spot near night time.. in water, etc but tile density etc.. was making them a bit harder to spot in forest areas, never seen one of these in desert for example(none near me to comment on that), mostly have found some in 'forest' or 'water';

my point is... forcing the so embraced change by retro.. we'll have just an escalated problem with people just having broken amount of these, just hoarding them to use or sell and still not do the missions; as mentioned the value of the mission compared to the personal or monetized value can not be compared..

Same items made the 'only' use for jewelsmithing(most use one could make of js. was imp high statuettes andsell for the rarity bonus buff; only other is the derp accessory in fishing rods.. fishing is boring and unrewarding for the cost of time and skill involved in it all) - again pointless skill to grind or have, it's much easier to do your missions for few minutes.. or travel to another server having them and beef up on these.. than return home and sell or use the bounty you returned with(mission items if somebody can not track what we're talking about)

personally I don't give a ... but I see another 'interesting' solution coming soon that will just help that 2 practices and buff another, none of that is NOT helping anybody but the 'active' exploiters of the broken mechanic/s in play.

12 minutes ago, CreZ said:

Fixed

valrei missions are ok... or used to be before the get 40 and sac em.. woo..; add to that the several.. with or w/o the chance to roll an action for each active mission.. 3-4x per action seems off.. 1 seems off.. and with several in line... you can do that for several days....

I ONCE got a rare valrei mission item... ("truly unique", inspiration when doing archaeology I think and the action spawned 1 in my inventory) sadly it decays.. rip joy from finding such ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but such is life..

Edited by Finnn
missed a NOT

6 minutes ago, Finnn said:

valrei missions are ok... or used to be before the get 40 and sac em.. woo..; add to that the several.. with or w/o the chance to roll an action for each active mission.. 3-4x per action seems off.. 1 seems off.. and with several in line... you can do that for several days....

Are they really though? The goings on of the valrei map don't do anything for us. The missions themselves don't really do anything useful and I don't think anyone actually enjoys creating 75 large saddles to drop off the side of their deed to decay. Even the personal goals tasks were more useful, at least that led to fixing walls and making wine.

I know the SB and karma are quite welcome but it just really seems like there could be a better way of doing that. Even if it were missions of some sort but ones that have some bearing on life and contribute something to the gameplay. Use them to generate player interaction or to help with ensuring a healthy supply of whatever goods new players need? Or just scrap the missions entirely and find more interesting and relevant ways to earn the rewards, perhaps methods that are of interest to a larger swathe of the playerbase.

Anyway, I don't want to totally sidetrack this with an extended discussion of the merits of the mission system either. In the end I don't really care. At least I'm not forced to use it like these hyperactive jiggly animations all over the place.

On 3/13/2020 at 2:52 PM, Oblivionnreaver said:

Really miss stumbling upon those shiny things in strange places.

And I agree with the need to look at, and hopefully reduce, duplicate missions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baloo said:

Really miss stumbling upon those shiny things in strange places.

And I agree with the need to look at, and hopefully reduce, duplicate missions.

old way was good for it's own reason but with more people roaming around(to find uniques, meteorites, fallen/ditched deeds, event items, etc)... 

you'll actually have lower chance to find one with a random walk, as they'll be found more often by others..(you might think it's not bad.. but if they turn out to be impossible to find for most.. and give the power to certain few.. in a crippled market like wurm's in just creates a powercreep(well in the meaning of.. putting these items only in same pockets, rather than spread them around - and that way instead of balance, it's going to just shift the hoarding of such to map roamers)

keeping the dig/arch action.. lets you get 1 

- making it good idea to have some ~high % to get one from such actions.. than to drop(like halloween hunting event.. but reverted.. the more you get, the harder to be to get another)

- - sadly.. in wurm alts are a thing... and such feature will insta boom riches into alt hoarders..

- - - we cant have good things.. can we..

maybe we could have a mix of the 2 with balance of the number it requires, spawns or how much a player could get, etc(alt issue remains)?

I'd like to see these much more rarer.. to actualy make JS more useful... and see again on trade chat sales of statuettes.. gold is useless, traders still do not give a ... about what you have to sell, jsmiths can not sell a thing, making the skill useless, only point for it was the rarity bonus.. and these items imped high used to worth something, missions of this kind just killed the js skill offering same thing, and abundance of items to get in short period of time

2 minutes ago, Finnn said:

I'd like to see these much more rarer.. to actualy make JS more useful... and see again on trade chat sales of statuettes.. gold is useless, traders still do not give a ... about what you have to sell, jsmiths can not sell a thing, making the skill useless, only point for it was the rarity bonus.. and these items imped high used to worth something, missions of this kind just killed the js skill offering same thing, and abundance of items to get in short period of time

it takes me about 5 minutes to make the 90 75ish ql cordage rope it takes to max out village sacc bonus from 0, JS for rare bonus is a long dead meme.

I could do it in VARIETY of ways and do not require JS, but that doesn't mean JS wasn't 'better' to do that same thing or provide a use for the skill and some way to make a coin with it for these who have it(which stopped being a thing when valrei items became common);

I've seen people buying 5-10 golden statuettes.. but not 90x cordage ropes, etc.. that business died once valreis started to rain from the skies in the high numbers per mission and having multiples of them..

if you have JS you can imp unicorn shoes, rings and necklaces for enchants, make runes, and make fishing parts for cash. if the only reason for it being sold is that people aren't knowledgeable enough to know there's a much better alternative that's pretty scummy. Updates should have 0 concern about the market. It's already in the game per retro's comment so idk why we're still here and the thread can probably be locked.