Sign in to follow this  
Nomadikhan

Let Compasses work when captaining vessels

This would be a great improvement, can't even count the number of times I've disembarked a boat to get a compass reading.

On 5/28/2020 at 8:22 PM, LionIX said:

For the lazy/less dev time way to implement, could add a 50 kg Nautical Compass which works on moving ships when carried in inventory. Players would then leave in ship instead of running around with it. Maybe no/very reduced decay in ship hold.  

^^or perhaps it can be attached to a boat or dropped in a slot shown in the boat inventory and you have a separate icon appear onscreen when you captain a boat or it overrides your compass if you have one.

• Like 1

+1 I like the idea but one has to consider what happens if I add a 1ql compass to my ship or a 99ql with woa on it. 

Maybe a high enough ship QL compass does something extra like give you a tile count to nearest land? 

Perhaps give you an x,y coordination within 10 tiles of where the ship is. 

IN fact a Mariners Log and Navigation charts could be added as a skill. 

As you sail more and more you gain XP that allows you to be more familiar with the server you are sailing. 

Thus giving you more insight to where you are. 

Now yes somebody is going to afk an alt to try to abuse the system but people already do that with other things so I think small impact.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 5:35 PM, puncher said:

+1 I like the idea but one has to consider what happens if I add a 1ql compass to my ship or a 99ql with woa on it. 

Maybe a high enough ship QL compass does something extra like give you a tile count to nearest land? 

Perhaps give you an x,y coordination within 10 tiles of where the ship is. 

IN fact a Mariners Log and Navigation charts could be added as a skill. 

As you sail more and more you gain XP that allows you to be more familiar with the server you are sailing. 

Thus giving you more insight to where you are. 

Now yes somebody is going to afk an alt to try to abuse the system but people already do that with other things so I think small impact.

I wouldn't go as far as to give players their location. Giving a position within 10 tiles is practically a gps, only you do not get the location update constantly. I mean how relevant are 10 tiles to sailing? Even giving the position with an error of 2km is not ok imo (and I know this is already possible on some servers), as the game offers everything you need to determine your location.

The ql of the nautical compass can have a speed limit for which it is stable. This should be made so that  a harder to make high quality compass is necessary for people with "min-maxed" ships. Obviously they can slow it down to get a reading, but if you have a high ql ship and want consistent compass readings, you would have to buy state of the art instrumentation. Compass makers are happy, min-maxers are happy, people that travel occasionally are happy and everyone in between as well.

And most importantly, nobody is put-off by the absurdity of overboard-compass-reading workaround.

Especially the new Steam players 😉. I mean how many MMOs have boats? Don't you think people are going to be attracted by this unique aspect of the game?

Edited by Idlamn

On 3/13/2020 at 2:03 AM, Morhedron said:

And maybe a functioning sextant

We have something that works more or less like sextant - dioptra, and it can be even used if moving very slowly (drifting). We could also have some better use it and of stars and constellations that would allow us to at least get the map tile we are on. 

+1 for nautical compasses, would be great if we could simply mount our own compasses on ship while embarking as a captain. 

J62bQhZ.png

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 2

Or this;

Whichever, actually navigating while sailing is needed

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 2:56 AM, TheTrickster said:

Whichever, actually navigating while sailing is needed

Yes it is!

I see that this is a resurrected post, BUT still throwing my 2 cents in...

Summary of what I think are the best points on how to implement this much needed feature, plus my own twist.

Nautical Compass

1) must start with a 60QL compass to even have a (low) chance of creation

2) Attach to a 40+ QL BRASS gimble made with blacksmithing (or jewelry smithing if you want to make it more difficult without adding another specialized subskill)

3) After creation, can be imped with brass by Blacksmith up to a the QL of the starting compass, but no higher.  

4) can be attached to a wagon (land yacht) or anything with a sail (no rowboat) -  QL of Nautical compass AND Shipbuilding skill affects chance to attach, failures causes damage or possibly destruction of Nautical Compass. Suggest minimum Shipbuilding skill of 70 to attach.  

5) Stabilizes at speeds below 10KM/H but, like a normal compass, time to stabilize is affected by QL and rarity so you can't just slow down for a split second to get a bearing.

6) replaces normal compass readout when embarked as capt.

7) once attached cannot be removed or improved.  CAN be replaced by Nautical compass of higher QL.

These things would not hurt any of the current market due to the QL requirements AND limiting of QL based on QL of the starting compass ensures high end compass makers get an increase in business, not take a hit. 

All the different skill types involved would prevent an immediate mass spamming of them to flood the market and require multiple parts of the community to get involved.  Especially the needing of a shipbuilder to attach.

• Like 1

Bump. For the new exploration update I think it is very important that the absurd overboard/anchor to read compass workaround is fixed with a nautical compass or simply allowing the compass to work. 

Edited by Idlamn
  • Like 3

Real compasses work on real ships. But real captains can't look down at the grid tiles and verify that they're staying on course.

On balance, I think Wurm is easier than RL

38 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

Real compasses work on real ships. But real captains can't look down at the grid tiles and verify that they're staying on course.

On balance, I think Wurm is easier than RL

I believe that's what latitude and longitude on nautical maps were for.default.jpg#h=589&w=842

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Katrat said:

I believe that's what latitude and longitude on nautical maps were for.default.jpg#h=589&w=842

Only that in WO the world is flat. Much easier :) And you are not navigating the whole world, but like an island (so maybe it's round after all, but the area is too small).

Edited by Idlamn

Wtb high quality rare sextant 

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

Come on devs. I'm bumping this above all the Darnok Online suggestions for you to see. What better time to address this other than the upcoming exploration update. :)

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 9:04 PM, Idlamn said:

Come on devs. I'm bumping this above all the Darnok Online suggestions for you to see. What better time to address this other than the upcoming exploration update. :)

Well the exploration update is here. You can do eeeet!

On 8/25/2021 at 1:10 AM, Idlamn said:

Bump. For the new exploration update I think it is very important that the absurd overboard/anchor to read compass workaround is fixed with a nautical compass or simply allowing the compass to work. 

• Like 1

Plus one for a very basic needed tool!

• Like 1

You don't need a new item at all if the game can just allow us to activate a compass and attach it to a boat as if it were a rune.  Any rarity or enchants on the compass are lost.  Different QL affects compasses; if you want to attach a better compass to a boat, you attach it and the previous one is lost, just like a rune.

"It has a compass [86] attached for navigational assistance."

When player embarks on boat as passenger or commander, the boat compass overrides their personal compass, perhaps even with a different graphic so you know there has been a change.  Use TheTricker's idea of allowing a useful "wobbly" compass.

I don't know if it's currently possible, since there is no need, but allow us to open a specific visual of our personal compass at any time, regardless of what the "active" compass is.

Boost to the compass market and boost for QoL when sailing.

If it works out well, perhaps allow such compass attachments to other vehicles.  This would be a huge boost to the compass market.

Mounts shouldn't get compasses.  For those, you still need to stop and let it settle (unless personal compasses are converted to "useful wobbly" compasses).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zakiah said:

You don't need a new item at all if the game can just allow us to activate a compass and attach it to a boat as if it were a rune.  Any rarity or enchants on the compass are lost.  Different QL affects compasses; if you want to attach a better compass to a boat, you attach it and the previous one is lost, just like a rune.

"It has a compass [86] attached for navigational assistance."

When player embarks on boat as passenger or commander, the boat compass overrides their personal compass, perhaps even with a different graphic so you know there has been a change.  Use TheTricker's idea of allowing a useful "wobbly" compass.

I don't know if it's currently possible, since there is no need, but allow us to open a specific visual of our personal compass at any time, regardless of what the "active" compass is.

Boost to the compass market and boost for QoL when sailing.

If it works out well, perhaps allow such compass attachments to other vehicles.  This would be a huge boost to the compass market.

Mounts shouldn't get compasses.  For those, you still need to stop and let it settle (unless personal compasses are converted to "useful wobbly" compasses).

It would be the best if we had nautical compasses for higher compass making skill, so we also add more stuff to do for compass makers. How ql would affect it I dunno, because what we want is for it to work while the ship is moving. It can just be somethiing you can make at 80 compass making or something and QL doesn't matter.

The low-cost fix would be just getting the compass to permanently settle while on ship - think of it as being stationary and holding you compass on deck or something.

• Like 1

+1 Either that or more complicated special compasses for ships, but give us that ability one way or another please!