Sign in to follow this  
Nomadikhan

Let Compasses work when captaining vessels

Because that's how it works.  Ships don't have 2-mile long chains to anchor themselves in the middle of the ocean and I've never heard of a captain jumping over board to let his compass settle.

• Like 26

27 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

I've never heard of a captain jumping over board to let his compass settle

I agree :D

+1

• Like 1

Maybe it could be that as long as you're in the drifting state the compass can settle but when rowing or under full sail it won't just to keep some "balance"?

Or just add a compass with a slightly different crafting recipe and call it a nautical compass or something and it gets mounted to the ship. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, armyskin said:

Or just add a compass with a slightly different crafting recipe and call it a nautical compass or something and it gets mounted to the ship. 

That is possible, they did and still do exist.  But then we HAVE to change this, because if the captain jumps ship how can he check the reading?

So the result is the same, don't force us to disembark or anchor to check :P

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

Aye.

IRL, a ships motion is hardly the "jiggling" that a compass would get over land.  It makes no sense to drop anchor in the middle of the ocean in order to take a compass reading.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

That is possible, they did and still do exist.  But then we HAVE to change this, because if the captain jumps ship how can he check the reading?

So the result is the same, don't force us to disembark or anchor to check :P

My post was in response to the one just above it. The intent was that the mounted compass would never not read.

• Like 1

-1 to a change that invalidates high ql compasses and nerfs pottery further. +1 to let compasses of high/highest ql, high enchanted or rare compasses settle even during movement, given it does not already. Even now, a compass around ql80, enchanted with 95 WoA, will stay showing directions for tens of tiles and settle in a moment.

Even in RL a cheap compass won't settle when moving.

Edited by Ekcin

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

-1 to a change that invalidates high ql compasses and nerfs pottery further. +1 to let compasses of high/highest ql, high enchanted or rare compasses settle even during movement, given it does not already. Even now, a compass around ql80, enchanted with 95 WoA, will stay showing directions for tens of tiles and settle in a moment.

Even in RL a cheap compass won't settle when moving.

I can't remember the last time I was sailing and wanted a compass that worked while sailing but stopped myself right there because I felt it would ruin the skill and totally make high ql compasses useless because of how they would still work exactly the same everywhere not on a boat

• Like 4

Would be cool to have something like this, nautical compass made from regular compass, some brass bits, and mounted to shipp with some planks and nails..

• Like 2

Are you guys questioning wogic?

Please don't hurt compass market much.

1 hour ago, Wilczan said:

Are you guys questioning wogic?

Please don't hurt compass market much.

I suddenly require about 5 more compasses if this became a thing, I doubt the market would be hurt. The compasses could bounce based on ql but to a lesser extent to make this suggestion work.

+1

I think attaching a  nautical compass ito a ship s a good idea. It only settles when you are drifting state.

make it so you need  higher QL components to make them. maybe 75+ QL?

I was thinking a nautical compass  = 75ql+ Dioptra + 75ql+ compass.

as soon as a toon get on a boat with one attached the nautical compass display on the hud same where like the current normal compass.

• Like 2

I don't see how a dioptra would make much sense. I think you'd want to add a blacksmithing item (hard cap at 70 for fun?) to create a gimbal mount for the compass.

33 minutes ago, CreZ said:

I don't see how a dioptra would make much sense. I think you'd want to add a blacksmithing item (hard cap at 70 for fun?) to create a gimbal mount for the compass.

was just an idea. The dioptra has 3 legs that can be modified to fit a compass ?

like using a compass to make a way stone? or an iron needle on a brass compass? It is wurm after all. :)

+1 to being able to attach a nautical compass to a ship...  Anything above a sailboat should be able to have this improvement.  Nautical compasses accuracy would be dependent on ql, so a higher ql compass would be accurate at a higher speed, while a low ql compass would require you to be merely drifting.

When vehicles have the capability of being improved in this way, there are many other improvements possible for ships, wagons, and carts....

JS

• Like 1

Adding speed restrictions is no better qol than getting off the boat and waiting since theres all the furling timer crap to run through and would defeat the point imo

Maybe make the compass behave like it would IRL.  Rather than just a blank circle when unstable, have the needle swing about when being moved.  Modify the "jiggle" with QL , speed of motion, type of motion, mounted status. The settling process would still function as now.

Thus, when running the compass just swings madly.  Riding a cart, still swinging madly, but maybe across 180 deg of arc instead of full circle.  Handheld (i.e. inventory) on a ship, maybe about the same as a cart.  Mounted on a ship under full sail in a gale, maybe 0-45 deg depending on QL.  

Make a gimbal mount (e.g. some brass, a plank, some nails) which attaches to the compass to make a nautical compass.  Once attached, when a vessel (or maybe even a wagon or whatever) is embarked as commander, the nautical compass displays (slightly different colour, or maybe some extra bits around the rim to depict the mount) instead of the handheld.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Maybe make the compass behave like it would IRL.  Rather than just a blank circle when unstable, have the needle swing about when being moved.  Modify the "jiggle" with QL , speed of motion, type of motion, mounted status. The settling process would still function as now.

Thus, when running the compass just swings madly.  Riding a cart, still swinging madly, but maybe across 180 deg of arc instead of full circle.  Handheld (i.e. inventory) on a ship, maybe about the same as a cart.  Mounted on a ship under full sail in a gale, maybe 0-45 deg depending on QL.  

Make a gimbal mount (e.g. some brass, a plank, some nails) which attaches to the compass to make a nautical compass.  Once attached, when a vessel (or maybe even a wagon or whatever) is embarked as commander, the nautical compass displays (slightly different colour, or maybe some extra bits around the rim to depict the mount) instead of the handheld.

+1 heart emote needed again

I agree that a nautical compass with a gimbal is a good idea, also that it gets a buff to settle at least during drifting. even at low ql. With higher ql it should gain the ability to settle even during sailing at higher speed, maybe at highest speed/under full sails only for enchanted or even rare. For that +1 

Question: Should it be available to all ships, or only Knarr up? In fact, a nautical compass on a rowboat would be bit strange.

+1 The inability to read a compass while sailing never made any sense to me. 

This is going to be a long post. I think an essential part of the navigation feature of the game - knowing your direction - is hidden behind this monstrous workaround of mooring the ship or jumping overboard just to get this info. Thus a great feature of the game is hidden there and not put to it's real value. See below.

The current state is:

1. For navigating a ship the compass is essential.
    What happens if you don't have one? Take a mountain range that have a curved line on the map - it goes SE thean easily curves towards NE. The navigator needs to follow this range only on the SE part. However, in-game, point on that curved ridge is just like any other point, therefore the navigator might end up way off-course.
    (Happened to me today, and happened to me before)
  2. I think most of the players sail in a semi-afk manner. They set a course and check the game from time to time, make little adjustments etc. I am sailing in WO as I am typing this. So checking the direction should not be something that takes that much.
  3. Exploring, and planning your journey is a very fun and engaging aspect of the game. Unlike games with GPS, here you actually can have a rich experience simply exploring the map, with all sorts of challnges: matching landscape with the details on the map and compass to determine your location, estimating the duration for a leg of your voyage, etc.
  4. There are compass makers that need to provide value to the market by making high ql compasses that stabilize quicker.
  5. The issue: on boats the compasses never stabilize because they are always moving.
  6. The issue with the workaround: you have to jump overboard or moor your ship to stabilize the compass.
    1. This is ridiculous. Think of what a new player will believe of the game when he hears about this.
      Maybe it's someone excited about the exploration and navigating aspect, and imagine the disappointment when he hears about the workaround.
    2. It is very inconvenient resulting in players not doing it and ending up doing mistakes and getting frustrated about exploring.

So.

Nice exploration system, very engaging, very promissing to new players. But this core feature of it - having a way to know your direction when sailing (which is essential) - is accessible behind a workaround. I say this is enough reason to solve this in any possible way.

The solutions for this:

1. Make compass stable on ship. It's not going to ruin the market. I need a good ql compass to get a direction fast before that bearo engages me, not so i can jump back in my boat faster from the water. The simple ideea that I have to jump off my boat to see the direction, or mooring/unmooring it, brings so much overhead, a good QL compass cannot compensate for it.
  2. Add a nautical compass that works only on ships, with, maybe, those features:
    1. Make it have to be attached so you need to buy those for all your ships.
    2. Make the normal compass no longer work in water or on ship. So you MUST buy a nautical compass. Here it must be taken care that this will be affordable otherwise you are have the same problem.
    3. Make the compass stabilize on demand: 1) right-click on ship 2) check compass 3)wait x seconds based on QL 4)compass shows direction for y minutes based on ql. This is honestly stretching it for the sake of compass makers.

For the lazy/less dev time way to implement, could add a 50 kg Nautical Compass which works on moving ships when carried in inventory. Players would then leave in ship instead of running around with it. Maybe no/very reduced decay in ship hold.  

I think it is important that this possibly small adjustment needs to be done before Steam launch, as the workaround (going overboard or mooring all the time) would give new players the feeling of an unfinished game, and it would be a real pity.

Even if it is no new item, just the current compass made to be permanently working on a ship. Later you can add the nautical compass.

Edited by Idlamn