Sign in to follow this  
Ahsesino

Suggestion: In game market system controlled by players.

Now that RMT is gone from the game and the recent update to traders being allowed on Xanadu and changing the way traders operate; the light bulb in my head started flickering till it actually turned on. With that’s said the idea of creating a centralized market per server pop up in my head. With this new market system new players as well as existing players will benefit from this system. This new centralized market system can and will benefit game to attract potential new players to the game by promoting a player controlled market system making it easier for them to sell their goods and that in turn will help retain players.  

General Idea of how it would work

Traders
The market system will be composed of traders in starter towns or traders in player own deeds. All traders are linked together to the same market to allow players from across the server to buy from another at a distant place within the same server. In order to upload your merchandise to sell there are 2 options.

1. You deliver your goods personally at the trading hub (trader).
  2. You contract the use of a wagoner to pick up your goods and deliver them to the nearest trading hub (trader).

When somebody visits the trader to do a purchase the person buying will have money deducted from his account and transferred to the sellers account. Once the transaction is complete, the person buying will be prompted if they need wagoner services to deliver the newly acquired merchandise or if the player will transport their newly acquired merchandise on their own.

All transactions now have a tax based on the sale price, the person selling the goods pay a tax. This tax will go to the king’s coffers who in turn distributes a % to player own deeds with traders on them to help reduce upkeep cost as a reward for allowing the market system on their deeds.

Wagoner
Wagoner services now yield a % to deed upkeep to deeds that have them, if used by other players in game to deliver merchandise to a trader hub or if used by a player who just purchased bulk materials to be delivered to his deed or village.

Merchants
Merchants manage player made contracts, this will allow the creation of contracts in game for special services. These services could be Spell casting, improving services, Enchanted grass, in game Jobs like terraforming or mining etc. As like the traders the merchants are also linked together to show contracts from all over the server for players to fulfill. Just like the selling of goods, contracts are also taxed and go to the king’s coffers and a % is distributed to deeds with merchants on them.

Pricing
Pricing is set by players selling their goods or in contracts by the person creating the contract. Since all goods (merchandise) all go to the centralized market the prices are showed to the people buying and selling that way there is a bit of competition in the market based on player needs. For example:

• Player A sells 1,000 bricks at 13 iron per brick, Player B wants to sells the same item and quantity but wants to make a fast turnaround, Player B can sell at a lower price to sell his items faster.

Items to be sold
All items are viewable server wide via traders. Items that do not required manage permissions can be sold at traders either in bulk or price per each. Items that required manage permissions like a boat or a wagon, those items must be sold via contract at a merchant.

Cross Server Selling
All sales and contracts conducted on a server the tax goes to the server where it was conducted to benefit the Kingdom of that server.

• Player A comes from Pristine to sell his merchandise in Xanadu, the tax collected from the sale or sales goes to Kings coffers in Xanadu to be distributed between the Traders on deeds.

• Player A comes from Deliverance to fulfill a contract or create one, the tax collected from such contract stays in the server where it was created.

This is just a quick summary of the Idea, if it causes interest I'll be more than happy to describe it full detail.

Edited by Ahsesino
typo
  • Like 4

Just another way to remove player interaction from trading, like the mailbox and Wagoner. At least with those two slight communication is still required. Interesting idea with the tax system further benefiting participants but it'd just be another system to be abused which hurts CC. Having a place to list ads in game other than the trade tab could be nice, that way people could have to way to find you even when you're not online spamming your offers, but then the forums work for that haha

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Jore said:

Just another way to remove player interaction from trading, like the mailbox and Wagoner. At least with those two slight communication is still required. Interesting idea with the tax system further benefiting participants but it'd just be another system to be abused which hurts CC. Having a place to list ads in game other than the trade tab could be nice, that way people could have to way to find you even when you're not online spamming your offers, but then the forums work for that haha

How would it be a loss to cc? Sure i could sit there and actively work the market leading to upkeep not being an issue but upkeep isnt an issue right now either with many years of upkeep on my deeds and it being really easy to restock it without buying silver

Any form of auction house always gets a +1 from me as the whole thing of "oh it removes player interaction so its bad" is just silly what player interaction you mean this?
player 1: wts 10k stone bricks
player 2 pm's player 1: il buy it at 15s
player 1 delivers to player 2's place
both say hi and bye after drop off
both never talk to each other again until its needed again

How is that a worthwhile interaction? i much rather be able to use the few npcs we have to be able to and the highway system AND the annoying wagoneers and put in the effort to setup the wagoneer and highways and all that and the money needed in order to be able to list my bulk items and random items i want to sell and let an npc take care of the "spamming" that we have to do now in trade chat(not fun to do) to get a sale going

Say that system comes into place the barrier for entry is either live near a wagoneer  and trader and highway or purchase it all and make the highway so newbies can use it and old time players with a lot of silver can sink the silver into creating these trading hubs
Add ontop the tax it means that with every trade more money leaves the game requiring more people to purchase silver leading to higher profits for cc in the long run not a loss like you suggest
Sure the kings coffins will now flow over so its easier to get money from hunting(like it already is now with traders not taking money from them anymore) but part of the money going to upkeep means part of that money is lost forever so a overall net loss of money ingame for every purchase done

This idea here of a auction house is a lot nicer too then most other AH posts so far including mine from a few years ago and it would make sense too for merchants and traders and wagoneers to serve such a function vs what they do now plus most merchants are just used to store items at 9999 gold instead of using an lmc for them so they just act as storage alts that dont require a login

1 thing i would want to add to the idea is that traders and merchants have a clear overview
In the case of traders there is 2 tabs/windows 1 is just the list of everything posted up and the other is a list of every item in the game and you can click on it to open it up to show the best sell and best purchase price of said item and clicking on next will take you to their respective orders in the first window as without something like that shifting through thousands of orders would be a pain this should include a search option like the crafting window has
The merchant window should have a search that functions on keywords so that we can use specific keywords in our contracts to do quick searches eg wts or 95+ and so on that way we can filter a search to something like " wts 95+ steel pickaxe" and it will display all steel pickaxe listings that have any of those tags in them

Besides that addon id say it is a solid idea that i would love to see happen but most likely wont ever happen :(

• Like 2

Traders/merchants/auction housees should not be linked.  Finding a good deal on an item should require travel.

• Like 3

When I played on Freedom, I made a living as a wagoner. I don't want no auction house taking our jobs!!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Traders/merchants/auction housees should not be linked.  Finding a good deal on an item should require travel.

Mr. Wargasm I don't want to sound rude but either you where to lazy to read the full idea, or lack a bit of skill in the reading comprehension department. It clearly states that a buyer must travel to a trader located at a starter town or the nearest deed that has a trader to access the market system. It also states that a seller must deliver goods to a trader to sell. The seller has two options, 1 that requires the seller to travel and deliver the goods to the market and the other option is to hire the services of the wagoner to deliver such goods for the seller.

I do apologize to you Mr. Wargasm if I insulted you in any way, I just wanted to clarify that travel is required to access the market system.

I'm not 100% certain but I think his point, at least as I took it and agreed with, is that one should have to travel around to different sets of traders to find the best prices. By linking them you make all traders/merchants equal. One could then just put a trader on their deed and never leave or go to the one just down the street.

12 hours ago, John said:

When I played on Freedom, I made a living as a wagoner. I don't want no auction house taking our jobs!!

Thanks for your input John, but the wagoner has been in game for some time now, whom ever came up with that idea already took your job. With the use of contracts now you can take your old job back and deliver merchandise while protecting both parties honoring what was agreed upon in such contract.  As for an Auction house I think that's just a database nightmare keeping up with timers, bids and Items.

5 minutes ago, CreZ said:

I'm not 100% certain but I think his point, at least as I took it and agreed with, is that one should have to travel around to different sets of traders to find the best prices. By linking them you make all traders/merchants equal. One could then just put a trader on their deed and never leave or go to the one just down the street.

I tried that before. Traveling around exploring the lands of Wurm, looking for merchants but I've come across so many stands with a sign saying "business was poor so I left". I've also tried using the forum but no luck, what I was looking for had already sold or the player that had posted the item I was looking for no longer plays the game but the thread is still alive. With this market system at least now you travel out of your deed even if its 5 tiles down the road but you can see if what you are looking for is for sale and not having to go through 100's of post in a forum  matching a word in your search criteria.

3 hours ago, CreZ said:

But to use "oh you should travel around to find the best prices" is a silly point as even now that doesnt happen due to trade chat and forums market places and market deeds are as good as dead now days sure people still place merchants there but they arent stocked half the time or they are from random people who think a ql 63 pelt is worth 2 silver or its some poor merchant that has been left alone for 3 years by its owner but still gets 1-2 people looking every month so it never disappears and only has a woodscrap on it

Having a central point to view and purchase things from would be akin to the trade window having a search function and listings being kept properly or it being easier to browse for wares on the forums(like having an external site that is designed to host wts and wtb and wta listings) except now its just done ingame via a npc that is pretty useless at this point and neither of the 3 npcs gets used much for their intended usage

• Like 1

Its true but forums and trade chat are somewhat time based. Neither one guarantees that all sales go to the lowest bidder. Currently, if someone has a merchant that is close but overpriced they may well purchase from it. If they know a smith who charges above average rates but is available at the right time for them that could be their go to. If you link all sales then it basically locks all prices to whatever the lowest bidder is willing to sell at. That doesn't sound terribly ideal to me. Regional pricing and availability add a certain level of dynamics to the "economy".

You have a valid point of course that things are pretty underused and fairly dead. Really no one cares to buy anything except rares, 100+casts, and bulk wemp or maybe concrete anyway.

I still agree with the idea that linking all the merchants/traders into one big network would have negative impacts though. Assuming of course that is what he meant in the first place.

Edited by CreZ

8 minutes ago, CreZ said:

Its true but forums and trade chat are somewhat time based. Neither one guarantees that all sales go to the lowest bidder. Currently, if someone has a merchant that is close but overpriced they may well purchase from it. If they know a smith who charges above average rates but is available at the right time for them that could be their go to. If you link all sales then it basically locks all prices to whatever the lowest bidder is willing to sell at. That doesn't sound terribly ideal to me. Regional pricing and availability add a certain level of dynamics to the "economy".

You have a valid point of course that things are pretty underused and fairly dead. Really no one cares to buy anything except rares, 100+casts, and bulk wemp or maybe concrete anyway.

I still agree with the idea that linking all the merchants/traders into one big network would have negative impacts though. Assuming of course that is what he meant in the first place.

Yes the Idea is to link all traders to a centralized market system, that way we don't always see the same 5 people spamming trade chat with the same external link to a forum or an outdated image.

Having a centralized market wont be a negative impact, in fact it will only encourage people to sell more items, thus allowing others to buy them. Sellers will see trends in the market now,  the laws of economics will now play a role in the game; allowing for prices to go up or down depending on their demand. With this in place both buyers and sellers have a saying on the market not just the typical 5 sellers that spam trade chat trying to sell their bulk goods and having their prices be the definitive price that sets the pace for the game.

I like the idea...  May need a few changes, but overall I like it.

JS

• Like 1

This could really work.  I think the new servers could benefit by somthing like this.  Just use current databases, should work.

• Like 1

I like this idea. Game would greatly benefit from this, especially on new servers. Trading is difficult as is, being able to see your competition without staring down the trade channel is something not a lot of us can afford, time wise to do. This also doesn't imo take away from the game in the form of traveling since the idea in of itself is that you have to go pick up whatever items you want to buy from the trade hub.

Funny how 1000 other games have auction houses and the market works well for them. Player interaction isn't dead in them. They actually have a healthier economy due to goods being available. But Wurm HAS to be Wurm. Has to be the different kid on the block that wants us to waste time just sailing for hours to deliver goods or begging in the trade chat for someone to buy something hoping they will be online. 

On 3/11/2020 at 4:03 AM, wipeout said:

Any form of auction house always gets a +1 from me as the whole thing of "oh it removes player interaction so its bad" is just silly what player interaction you mean this?
player 1: wts 10k stone bricks
player 2 pm's player 1: il buy it at 15s
player 1 delivers to player 2's place
both say hi and bye after drop off
both never talk to each other again until its needed again

Pretty much my experience from trades. I don't think Iv'e spoken to anyone I've bought/sold items from after that. 

The social aspect in Wurm HAS to be voluntary not compelled. 

If we were to deconstruct all the arguments against an AH, we can see they're all flawed in the end. 

Kills Player interaction? Wipeout said it best.

Destroys the market? How? Explain the economic mechanism. I'll wait and point out WHY marketplaces like Amazon went so big. Because they centralized item offer and demand on a platform. That's what an AH is basically. A trading platform. No more no less. Instead of people visiting 500 different websites comparing prices and delivery offers, they instead checked most things on 1 website. 

(Personally I'm not a fan of Amazon for ethical reasons and how they treat their employees. But I understand WHY they got so big in the first place.) 

What other arguments do we have against an AH? Lowers prices? Huh. Do we really need to go over Economy 101 again to adults? Seems like it. Supply and competitive offers lower prices. Wow! Really? So are you saying it's good for the customer? Who suffers from this? The greedy little ###### who want to not implement an AH in the game so they can sell their stuff at higher prices? 

"But hurr durr it's more immersive to find merchants/traders yourself." Immersive? Really ? ###### kidding me? What the ###### is immersive about finding a random merchant that DOESN"T talk, doesn't have witty banter, simply is nothing more than a sterile trade window. That's it What the hell is immersive about it? Do I have to sail all across the islands to all the merchants/players to find a decent deal? That's immersive? 

Not sorry about the rant but i'm really sick and tired to see people asking for an auction house for god knows how many years and people shutting it down with no solid arguments. 

Let's do everything possible in Wurm so players can't save time. Let's scroll through trade chat like it's 1997 again and try to find a specific message for a specific item you need. Let's browse forums hoping to find a decent price or auction....oh not....the FORBIDDEN word. An auction? Really...how many auctions have taken place on these forums? Hundreds by now? .But no...let's not code it in game...ruins everything..

Why put a centralized trade system to streamline a process that should be simple in the first place? This is Wurm. This is 2020. I don't expect anything to change. 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 4

While it indeed is more practical, the sellings on forum has historically been really solid, promoting some cool interactions and a good history (if you look to older auctions) of older and great sellings, like supreme caravels/fantastic items for example.

-1 Sorry

I like this idea. I think it would be beneficial for young players as a way to maintain themselves in the game. It should be looked into further.  

• Like 3

So there are people seriously downvoting an idea of an auction house? 

I know wurm "needs to be difficult/edgy" blabla but seriously, wurm is a dinosaur when we look at how trade is done currently. 

A trade chat channel with people spamming offers. I have to sit down and scroll thorugh them to find what i'm looking for. 

How is this even a thing in an online game in 2021? 

I want a list of either players or their items, with the prices, which then I can bid for or buy/buy-out. 

This way you will encourage more people making stuff and selling/trading them and we can see who is overpriced and who has good deals usually. 

No, just admit that forum posting for sales is OUTDATED. 

Sure, it works. Just like how a bus or a truck works and is "needed" when you just want to visit your neighbor down the streets. 

The whole PC/WTB/WTS thing in wurm and the trade channel is silly and outdated. 

Veteran players managed to fool alot of new players with their prices in this way and I know a couple of new people personally that wouldn't even bother doing the whole trade channel acrobatics to find the stuff they're looking for. 

Why should trading be such a hassle ? Because some veteran players are "used" to it?
Imagine a real-life company, in dire need of changes to survive and where employees simply shrug and say muah- this is the way we do it and have done for years so we don't need to change.

Edited by Berms
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 7:31 PM, DonaMarlene said:

While it indeed is more practical, the sellings on forum has historically been really solid, promoting some cool interactions and a good history (if you look to older auctions) of older and great sellings, like supreme caravels/fantastic items for example.

-1 Sorry

Not everyone is interested in making a whole page complete with photoshopped screenshots and an A4 full of text + redirects to other posts when you're just looking for a single item or want to sell something randomly quickly, with the best price possible. 

No offense but I can see why wurm has a low player base looking at what veteran players want in Wurm compared to what wurm SHOULD offer in 2021 if it wants to stay alive and not in a coma. 

Edited by Berms
  • Like 1

Not all veterans want it. There's just a minority of players who have gotten used to the same system for 10 years and don't want it to be changed for various reasons : inertia, habit, self interest (lack of an AH means they can sell at w/e price they want, without an average market price), oldie-but-goldie system, etc.

I'm all for bringing wurm into 2021 and there have been countless threads about an AH but all of them went nowhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elentari said:

Not all veterans want it. There's just a minority of players who have gotten used to the same system for 10 years and don't want it to be changed for various reasons : inertia, habit, self interest (lack of an AH means they can sell at w/e price they want, without an average market price), oldie-but-goldie system, etc.

I'm all for bringing wurm into 2021 and there have been countless threads about an AH but all of them went nowhere.

And this is exactly why I'm reconsidering Premming again for the coming months.

Don't get me wrong, I love wurm and what it has to offer but it needs changes and updates ( for both existing players and also to attract and KEEP new ones ) and I simply don't see much of that happening.

Edited by Berms
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Berms said:

And this is exactly why I'm reconsidering Premming again for the coming months.

Don't get me wrong, I love wurm and what it has to offer but it needs changes and updates ( for both existing players and also to attract and KEEP new ones ) and I simply don't see much of that happening.

The roadmap is being worked on but Wurm will never be a game with transparent changes being discussed until they are nearly done.

Also

3 hours ago, elentari said:

There's just a minority of players who have gotten used to the same system for 10 years and don't want it to be changed for various reasons : inertia, habit, self interest (lack of an AH means they can sell at w/e price they want, without an average market price), oldie-but-goldie system, etc.

I am not sure if its a minority or not.
It seems more like theres a minority of vocal speakers on the forums that are heavily disagreed with whenever the discussion say, moves to a bulk of the playerbases feeds in GL-Freedom.

Think is...it sounds a bit counter intuitive, but just because people are "used to a system" and they don't see it as broken, doesn't mean we should keep it that way.

A relevant example would be how old school the bureaucracy in my country is, where almost everything is still done on pen and paper, even things that have been digitally done for 20 years now, are still in the "stone-paper age" for us. This is because most people have gotten used to this system and most actually don't want change.

The newer generation obviously wants change but the older one is stuck in its ways. I think this might also be a variable why so many changes in Wurm happen at a snailspace. Just because a lot of people "like" a system, doesn't mean we can't change to a better system.

People will adapt. The idea is to find objective progress and pursue it.

On 3/11/2020 at 4:10 AM, Wargasm said:

I can only assume that the countless AH suggestions aren't intended as replacement of existing systems.

I'd imagine it's and opt-in solution so you can still use the trade channel logs or forums or external websites and in-game merchants if you wish?