Sign in to follow this  
Lisimba

Repair quality loss variability

Yeah, written timer is always off by 0.9 seconds (faster) than what it says, on any action.

I understood what caused the bug and also what you said, so, if i got that right, having the damage split among a lower amount of ticks is better bcause the last one is free anyway? but if the "second last" leaves the item damage at  something very low like 0.01, that is the amount that is going to be repaired by the " last freebie" , and it would get pretty much wasted, so i guess that kind of randomness will pile up with the already-big random variability of repair, making it even more random and unreliable, maybe that's one of the reasons that make it so much over-the-line random?

@Keenanwhere does this put players with 90-99-100 repairing skill, they are down to at least 1 second or 1 skill check and ql change at least even at 100 skill;

What I didn't like about the lower repairing time is... -7.5% time  -> means vynora followers/priests get less time to repair, and less time for skillchecks and less skill gains.. SURE, they have boosted +10% skillgains.. but problem with grinding repairing is getting crazy amounts of damaged items... which leads to a nerf for vynoras.. focring them to get even bigger quantity of items to grind the skill on...(what I already meant in the patchnotes before it got locked..);

- further more vynoras get 10% skillgain, but lose all bonus time and skill which could be scaled way higher with sleep bonus, and all skillgain tiny bits.. to about 260% with just the bare minimum.. up to ~300 skill gain per action/second with a skillgain.. but... that's the actual maximum unless i miss something atm.. ANYWAY... that is not all lost.. but the player is forced to get bigger quantity compared to any other player... making vynora and non-vynora players grinding on same amount of items.... not get equal skill, because the vynoras will repair faster and lose gains per item(not time or sleep bonus, but.. will need more items to grind on.. to catch up to get the same amount of time compared to non-vynora follower/priest) - fact. (NOT true .. in the case.. vynora or the 2.. reach the skill or amount of action timer to have only 2 seconds to repair.. than it wouldnt matter as the reduced time do not lower past 2sec minimum - ok... "there's balance"

where is that balance .. where does it stop making sense to grind higher repairing skill? (for the timer; obviously the higher your repairing is.. the better you repair and less ql you lose no matter what timer you have)

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

get equal skill, because the vynoras will repair faster and lose gains per item(not time or sleep bonus, but.. will need more items to grind on

If you had 100 seconds worth of repairing on an item for a non-vynora, vynora will get 101.75 seconds of skillgain in 92.5 seconds worth of repairing for the same item. Vynoras bonus (most skillgain bonuses are the same) is multiplicative which means no matter how many other skill gain modifiers there are, vynoras bonus will increase the total amount by 10%. There is no situation where a vynora would get less skillgain repairing than a non-vynora now that the free repair has been removed, for either skill per hour, or skill per item.

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

if you repair something with a timer above 2sec.. the 7.5% time reduction applies if you are following vynora - correct? 

-> meaning when you grind.. you'll have longer timer/s.. and lose 7.5% of the timer or whatever after rounding for all or per item.. and in total.. there will be some loss of time which could have turned into skill for lets say 100 items

vyn bonus alone is 10% to the normal 100% skillgain - correct?

(not think of pizza affinity 10%, character affinity 10% (from 1 to 5 = 10 to 50%), sleep bonus 100%, path of knowledge 25%, nutrition 5% at high level = in total.. with 1 of each.. 260% up to 300% - correct?

if you lose time.. you lose time from all potential gain PER ITEM -> forcing you to generate bigger quantity of items to repair to catch up

- TRUE, you repair things faster, and you do NOT really lose time.. but you DO lose benefit(skillgain) per item

- - which makes non vynoras able to generate higher skillgains as non vynora.. when grinding repairing skill with same/lesser amount of items than what you have.. vyn bonus alone is 10%, but the other 250-290% skillgain all get a nerf with the reduced time you get per item.

In general you do not lose time, but it makes you work more to get the same, and problem is getting enough of the crazy amount of items to repair when it comes to grinding this skill.

obviously.. again... I do not give a ... about fixing it.. I can think of a workaround.. not being vynora when doing it if I want to get it faster.. or just generate a few more items and ignore the above 'complication', which doesn't change the fact it changes things a bit.

I'm just pointing at the elephant..

Only think I'm curious is.. if I have 0.03 and such tiny bits of damage.. and I OCD repair them OFTEN, does that mean on average ... I'll lose A LOT MORE QL than if I do it once at 0.10 or higher damage on the item..( I get that the higher damage will reduce more of the ql..) but the interesting part is... DOES THE 2sec wreck the QL.. 

I get everybody loves the new change... I just wonder if the set time isn't just doing a bit more damage than it should.

I do not care for moon metals taking ql loss now or that whatever items did not take damage before and now are... 

only care for the bit if the set time messes up ql more in any way

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

Only think I'm curious is.. if I have 0.03 and such tiny bits of damage.. and I OCD repair them OFTEN, does that mean on average ... I'll lose A LOT MORE QL than if I do it once at 0.10 or higher damage on the item

No, i don't think so, because it's most likely  always a single tick which will calculate the ql loss based on repaired damage, so it would be the same
 i think that you would have to go over 2 seconds to actually have 1 tick and 1 last "micro-free tick that sets damage to 0 without taking away QL,"
I think the best way is to have enough damage to go a bit over 2.0 seconds, but not sure how much exactly, probably too much to be even acceptable, if you have decent repairing skill

Edited by Davih

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

Only think I'm curious is.. if I have 0.03 and such tiny bits of damage.. and I OCD repair them OFTEN, does that mean on average ... I'll lose A LOT MORE QL than if I do it once at 0.10 or higher damage on the item..

You won't. It's scaled by the actual amount of damage repaired.

I know discussions have gone back and forth about Iron, the metal bonus for iron is 1.0, is there any chance this could have had any unintended effects on Leatherworking?

by the way.. where are we with the math in this skill?

just repaired ql44 blade from 11% damage and lost 2ql on it.. with 84.66 repairing skill, and wondering if time and rng somehow do indeed mess things up somehow?

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1