Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

Updates biweekly?

While weekly maintenance clearly has its advantages, it also is bad for community activities, especially sermons, which lose up to a whole day through reboots. Wouldn't it be possible to reduce the (non critical) maintenance outages to biweekly, even if that would mean a somewhat longer downtime?

26 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

While weekly maintenance clearly has its advantages, it also is bad for community activities, especially sermons, which lose up to a whole day through reboots. Wouldn't it be possible to reduce the (non critical) maintenance outages to biweekly, even if that would mean a somewhat longer downtime?

how does it hurt your sermons? they could restart the server every 10 minutes if they want when im doing sermons.. its resets sermon timer so you can have even more sermons not having to wait full 3 hours cooldown.

no updates - bad

updates - bad

m4ZPBnd.png

Edited by Votip
  • Like 4

Server restarts also reset meditation and prayer timers/counters.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

how does it hurt your sermons? they could restart the server every 10 minutes if they want when im doing sermons.. its resets sermon timer so you can have even more sermons not having to wait full 3 hours cooldown.

I would imagine its because it usually takes a full 24 hour cycle (or more) to get all the listeners logged back in unless you're doing it all with 2s alts you control.

9 minutes ago, Votip said:

no updates - good

updates - bad

Fixed this for you!

• Like 2

Trust me, Wurm servers honestly need daily restarts.. they suck lag after just a day or two.  Cele is going through some pretty bad spikes lately, it can't even go 4 hours after a restart because of it 😕

Yes, Crez got it right. You have sermon attendants from several timezones which usually stay logged on. Once thrown out, it can take many hours til they can log back.

Especially after the nerf of 2s alts, this punishes those who use the system as it was intended, by cooperating with others.

Edit: And I did not recognize improved lag behaviour after reboot. Major lag causes I know are polling and network.

Edited by Ekcin

I would imagine that you dont actually want bi-weekly as that would be twice a week, perhaps fortnightly is what you are looking for

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SmeJack said:

fortnightly

i mean im always up for some fortnites as my signature suggests but what does that have to do with updates

• Like 1

Instead of all those useless nerfs and chicaneries (see valrei items) a proper fix for idiotic decay rates, e.g. with fishing nets, would demonstrate that the devs at least sometimes care for the players. Just lost 2 nets because I did not look at for a few days. Not that it is a tragedy but shows how poorly designed some things are despite repeated complaints (granted it was ways worse in the beginning). That extends to most fishing items, btw., as few of them survive a week in fishing rods and tackle box. I am also tired from picking hooks from my house floor falling out of the rod rack due to decaying lines.

7 hours ago, SmeJack said:

I would imagine that you dont actually want bi-weekly as that would be twice a week, perhaps fortnightly is what you are looking for

Biweekly means both "twice a week" and "every two weeks".

I'm not kidding.

4 minutes ago, Lisimba said:

Biweekly means both "twice a week" and "every two weeks".

... the eternal discussion with my wife...

Sure in some places it does (not where I live), but if you want to be understood you should probably use the least ambiguous wording.

A few moons ago we used to have a restart twice a week like clockwork, I didn't mind then and I wouldn't mind now.

Edited by SmeJack
  • Like 1