Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 09 MAR 20

6 minutes ago, Davih said:

(that one was my fault, because during a discussion i made a developer notice how the game actually works, while hundreds of people already knew and talked about it".

with every single patch is more and more visible how little development team actualy plays and understands game they are making... It's terrible really how much they are detached from actual everyday gameplay most people has.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kochinac said:

with every single patch is more and more visible how little development team actualy plays and understands game they are making... It's terrible really how much they are detached from actual everyday gameplay most people has.

Well, that one was at least 2-3 years ago, just for clarity

Only shows that the people who are putting ###### like this in the game don't use high ql tools or don't even ###### play it.

Tinkering around with fancy stuff for the steam release, messing things up and then try to fix it with half-ass "solutions".

Just tried to repair some of my high ql tools, is that a joke?

Did you even  TRY to test what this is doing, or don't you only got starter tools because you don't play the game anymore anyway?

That way this crap is now i would spent twice as much time imping my pick than i would spent mining, to talk

about the pickaxe alone.

When you're scaling low ql tool up, maybe also scale high ql tools down, so we can just forget ql and all use free ql 70 stuff.

Wouldn't that be a splendid thing for the freaking steam release?

PS:  and stop talking crap about "no ql loss on repair".

I tried 5 different tools with ql from 92-97 with damage from 0,05 to 0,5

But hey, my repair skill is only 60, probably you all have 99,5

Edited by Beewolf

I tried to repair some stuff with very little damage and while it does give a 2s timer, most of them didn't lose any QL at all. What am I supposed to see here?

5 minutes ago, Lisimba said:

I tried to repair some stuff with very little damage and while it does give a 2s timer, most of them didn't lose any QL at all. What am I supposed to see here?

There should be no change on iron /wood tools from how it was 1 week ago.

The actual issue is on moonmetal/steel stuff that used to take 0 damage on repair, been like that for about 2 years.
Now they're back at being almost the same as iron

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Davih said:

There should be no change on iron /wood tools from how it was 1 week ago.

The actual issue is on moonmetal/steel stuff that used to take 0 damage on repair, been like that for about 2 years.
Now they're back at being almost the same as iron

The wiki table says glimmersteel is -40%, seryll is -50% and adamantine -60%. That's still a significant bonus, no? Steel is -20% but that's easier to get.

It should have been fixed a long time ago of course but it doesn't seem bad that it's fixed now.

• Like 1

It's obviously terrible, the only tools you can consider doing in moonmetal like this are needles and 0.03kg knives, everything else is an insane waste of money for how fast it loses QL compared to what you spent bringing them up.

Also yeah, this should have been fixed 2 years ago, but never was, now it's kinda too late to bring them back at being useless.

They keep doing huge gameplay changes without even realizing how deeply and strongly affecting they are.

i mean, i have ropemaking as my main favor skill, never used chopped veggies, still felt a huge WTF about the  last favor changes, very good for me, sure, but i kinda felt bad for everyone who invested in that skill and tools for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lisimba said:

with this change: knife 91.12 quality, 800 chopped, .78 damage on knife repair, knife 90.98 quality

0.78 damage was a quality loss of 0.14 on a 90+ quality tool. 

not sure what you did. 

• Like 1

Unsure if this makes fun of grinding repairing skill.. if it locks the timer to at least - 2 seconds.

Whole action time tie seems "a bit" off, if you have 0.01 or less damage  to repair - you're forced a 2second action in which it lowers QL just to be 'fun and fair'😄😒

In addition this creates that other LOL situation with the lowered vynora time.. you get both +10% more skill and at the same time 7.5% less time per action.. every action we lose 7.5% time.. time that costs us skill..

BUT WAIT.. math is probably messing up more than just the deity bonus(by murphy laws.. probably) and 'must' be losing... whole pok-path/nutrition/sleep bonus/affinities.. goes down the drain with the reduced time by 7.5%.. - "oh joy"

tell me I'm wrong 
🤔

who comes up with this content...😴

• Like 1

There's been a lot of feedback regarding this and it's clear that many feel it should have been addressed when the bug first surfaced, which we strongly agree with. With that said, that does not mean it shouldn't be fixed now, as the saying goes "the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now." 

We are working with a goal in mind, polish Wurm and get it back on track to be the game our vision entails. That means that we do need to address old inconsistencies and bugs, some of which have become relied upon for certain advantages. We will continue to work on these bugs and address them in each update, including the bug where the bonus skillgain for rarity wasn't applying to meditation rugs.

Repairing was never meant to happen without SOME quality reduction, this bug is the result of timers being able to go below 2 seconds and thus skip the quality reduction step in the code. moonmetals and other metals that have damage reduction bonuses will still continue to reduce the quality loss on repairing.

This actually buffs repairing skills as it was not the repairing skill that caused the bug. Being a follower of Vynora or using moonmetals weapons meant repairing skill didn't matter at all if you had only a certain amount of damage. With this change repairing skill is very important in keeping the timers low. 

Lastly, I'd like to touch on the argument that it's not a bug fix, but a nerf disguised as a bug fix. The most important thing to remember is that just because it's a benefit, does not mean it's not a bug. Bugs and exploits can provide advantages as well as disrupt play.

• Like 5

Upset with repairing changes, as everyone else. Havent' bought any moonmetal stuff, but have created quite a few steel rares for purpose of not repimping them that often. And now thats' a bust. GJ, guys, GJ. :S

Edited by nekoexmachina

3 minutes ago, nekoexmachina said:

Upset with repairing changes, as everyone else. Havent' bought any moonmetal stuff, but have created quite a few steel rares for purpose of not repimping them that often. And now thats' a bust. GJ, guys, GJ. :S

They still will lose less ql upon repairing, and take less damage and not need repairing as often. 

5 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

There's been a lot of feedback regarding this and it's clear that many feel it should have been addressed when the bug first surfaced, which we strongly agree with. With that said, that does not mean it shouldn't be fixed now, as the saying goes "the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now." 

The best spot to plant that tree has probably changed in the 20 years since though since the first tree has grown expecting the light to be a certain way. If you just put a second tree in where it should have been then theres every likelihood that either the grown tree will hamper the growth of the new one or that the new one will eventually steal light and water the old one depends on to stay healthy. In essence its a whole new landscape and where to plant or not plant a tree should be carefully considered and planned.

Also, jsut what IS the new vision that the game is headed towards? Can we please get some clarity on that because we've had over a decade of what seemed to be a similar vision that we're all used to and now in 6 months it seems y'all plan to turn that all on its head to some new plan we can't imagine or depend on.

• Like 7

Lets be honest we are no longer playing Wurm Online we are paying to be beta testers for the new Steam Wurm :)

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Nikko said:

Lets be honest we are no longer playing Wurm Online we are paying to be beta testers for the new Steam Wurm :)

beta testers on opposite day maybe?

33 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

They still will lose less ql upon repairing, and take less damage and not need repairing as often. 

The "legitimate" bonus of steel is laughable compared to the amount of effort that it takes to make the steel to actually imp tools to an acceptable high-end level (95+?)

It's always been like that, people invested time to make steel tools because of the "bug" that was there for 2 entire years and people started to percieve as INTENDED (mostly because it was reported and nobody seemed to even care or respond something like "ah yeah, we will fix that" )
You didn't even say "yeah we will fix that" in the last week when it became blatantly obvious,  how about some clarity and communication about what is intended or not?

Still, now steel is crap compared to how good was before (intended or not) , so will you even consider reworking it to make it decent again or will every metal except iron be back at being unused and mostly a terrible choice like it was before?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Davih said:

Still, now steel is crap compared to how good was before (intended or not) , so will you even consider reworking it to make it decent again or will every metal except iron be back at being unused and mostly a terrible choice like it was before?

Shhh iron gets nerfed in the end if we complain too much. Like it will melt in a forge like wooden items.

• Like 6

I just find it funny that the answer to a bug is to instead of fixing the actual bug, it's to make chore tasks in the game take longer to force the bug to not work.

Make items take damage as whatever they should be if they aren't, it doesn't matter to me, but continually doing things to make playing artificially longer?  Why do we keep being the victim of this mindset?

It's not even a timer issue, I get 1 second or less repair timers on so many things, frying pans, shields, scale armor, iron and wooden tools, you name it and they all have been losing ql as they always have.  Now this change disguised as a buff to repairing skill by "making it useful" is ultimately a nerf to high repairing skill because it's making it worse.

• Like 10

Someone asked what the vision of Wurm is NOW. 

It is to make it so that everyone is able to do everything, skills meaning almost nothing.

Edited by Yldrania
Moderation Edit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

As far as I understand changes, they imply that there is a sweet spot for repairs when repairs would take 2s with or without changes. This means that instead of having to repair every time DMG hits 1, I'll have to wait till DMG is around 8-9 and loose effective ql, or loose ql at much faster rate. Both mean that I don't get to use the tool at max efficiency and have to reimp more often. It's not that big of a Dela but this is a very upsetting change nonetheless.

• Like 2

Nice nerf. So next are you going to fix that huge bug that can imp drake or scale armor with normal leather? Or you going to state it's very intended. Go all the way if you start with stuff like this

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Tor said:

Nice nerf. So next are you going to fix that huge bug that can imp drake or scale armor with normal leather? Or you going to state it's very intended. Go all the way if you start with stuff like this

This was very clearly (and known to be) a bug, even when asked in stream about it yesterday it was clear it was a bug. It's existed as a bug for moonmetals for a while, and yes we should have fixed it then, that doesn't detract from fixing it now

Also in this thread it's clearly questioned and many have pointed out it's obviously unintended. 

As for the leather, no, rest assured you can keep imping scale and plate with leather, that's an intended feature, not a bug. 

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

This was very clearly (and known to be) a bug, even when asked in stream about it yesterday it was clear it was a bug. It's existed as a bug for moonmetals for a while, and yes we should have fixed it then, that doesn't detract from fixing it now

Also in this thread it's clearly questioned and many have pointed out it's obviously unintended. 

As for the leather, no, rest assured you can keep imping scale and plate with leather, that's an intended feature, not a bug. 

I am going to assume the moonmetal repair thing was made intentionally for the similar reason scale/drake can be imped with leather. On epic you had to actually use drake/scale right?

4 minutes ago, Tor said:

I am going to assume the moonmetal repair thing was made intentionally for the similar reason scale/drake can be imped with leather. On epic you had to actually use drake/scale right?

No, it was not intentionally for the similar reason scale and drake can be imped with leather. Yes we should have addressed its status as a bug then. Doing so now does not mean it was an intentional feature though, an item losing zero quality from any repairing should not be considered intentional unless it specifically states "does not lose any quality when repaired" 

• Like 1