Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

LAG! What other measures to combat it?

The lag I sometimes experience is almost enough to make quit the game altogether. I have pared graphics settings down a lot, but beyond that is there anything that will help?  

What lag are you referring to? Framerate lag? (Choppy visuals, things arent smooth) or network lag (sitting at refreshing for a while, slow to do actions) 

The sitting at refreshing has been a problem on Celebration for a few weeks now

I been getting it as of late on Release alot of "refreshing"

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

What lag are you referring to? Framerate lag? (Choppy visuals, things arent smooth) or network lag (sitting at refreshing for a while, slow to do actions) 

Actually some from column A and some from column B.

Framerate:

Single digit framerate is the norm, with <5 common, but  really lately my displayed fps is no longer much of a guide.  I can get 11fps and still find it impossible to navigate, and if I keep trying then a dropout is likely. 

Network lag:

Menus sit on refreshing for a long time.  The select bar is likewise very slow to update.  There is then a delay between selecting an action and that action starting. 

p.s. It has reached the point that I don't dare toggle run, for fear that while my character is "lag blind" (or "lemming mode") he will drown while I am unable to do anything about it.  It hasn't happened yet, but there have been some close calls.

Edited by TheTrickster
p.s.

For framerate maybe trim down graphics settings, or update your graphics driver. There are framerate issues I suffer from (Linux) which go away to wide extent when I shortly start a second client on the same box. I attribute that rather to Java garbage collection (speculatively).

The "refreshing" lags may stem from network, but at least here (central Europe) rarely do (there were a couple of Hetzner hiccups, but those were different, more dramatic). Mainly they seem to be server side created.

Edited by Ekcin

8 hours ago, Ekcin said:

For framerate maybe trim down graphics settings,

See the OP, vis.

On 3/9/2020 at 5:49 PM, TheTrickster said:

I have pared graphics settings down a lot, but beyond that is there anything that will help?  

I think I kept a better distance for mob rendering, so as not to get caught out, but apart from that I have given everything a "trim down", shutting some stuff off altogether.  

8 hours ago, Ekcin said:

or update your graphics driver

My driver is up to date.  Given the vintage of the game, particularly it's look&feel and interface, I would not be buying new hardware just to play it.  I mean, I like Wurm, but if I need whizz-bang kit to play it then it needs to be a whizz-bang experience.  Manipulating everything with right clicks, text menus and mini-windows is not my idea of that.  I love the depth of play, but can't see how that requires bleeding edge hardware.

Old game or not it is a 3D game and only runs smooth if you have a dedicated 3D accelerated graphics card. Build in Intel multimedia graphics is not good enough.

• Like 2

1. what kind of pc do you have?
2. make a new profile and then navigate to the folder of that profile (wurm installation folder)> configs>(name of your config) open up your gamesettings.txt and copy the contents of this pastebin into there https://pastebin.com/n77aFdRq
3. start wurm and see what your frame rate sits at
4. start turning up the graphics settings in the terrain detail section(up to cave detail)
5. check again
6. if fps is good go to distant terrain turn that on and set render distance to medium
7. try again
8. if fps is still good go to advanced graphics and set texture quality to medium or high
9. try again
10. if still good turn on things or set high things like terrain/shadow detail(and shadows in the graphics tab) and detailed weather and particles and effects or pretty trees

if at that point it still runs fine then just start maxing settings to see what works and finally at the end of all that if its still running fine go to post processing and turn on fxaa and set ambient occlusion to medium

Or in your current settings turn off the previously mentioned ambient occlusion and check what your frame rate sits at first before trying what i said above

7 hours ago, Sandyar said:

Old game or not it is a 3D game and only runs smooth if you have a dedicated 3D accelerated graphics card. Build in Intel multimedia graphics is not good enough.

It always used to be...

• Like 1

try low memory mode/profile or whatever new launcher offers.. I haven't even checked what's for that with new launcher...

rip old performance boost for java.. and jnlp  sadly.. I don't think devs ever replied to share about replacement to that.. so rip performance boost

rest is... TURN OFF MODERN RENDERER if you have performance issues, or lower texture size, lower all fancy stuff.. (to be safe.. lower it all.. to 15-20% tops.. and if your system behaves better - try to scale from there.. if you still have issues at 10-15% of the possible graphics options.. lower it all.. if it's unplayable.. you probably need better cpu/video/ram/disk(some/any/all of that...)

sometimes launcher is trash.. you can't do anything about it... if the jnlp file works.. great for temporary option to play the game.. else.. rip, just look for improvement options(game profile settings, pc optimization(some pcs are slow from the start), hardware improvement..); sometimes it's the game and there's a patch for that usually soon enough.

--edit

as for fps or lag test... you can go to windows -> start -> resmon(type it, press enter);

once it loads(resource monitor), go to any of the tabs.. cpu/memory/disk/network/.. and look for WurmLauncher64.exe, check the checkbox left of it.. and go to network... you'll see your "ping"/latency there.. that's mostly reaction to actions you do in the game.. lag associated with that.. right click to get a menu of options.. and the menu not showing... or you keybind an action.. you try to perform it and nothing happens.. that's your typical network lag.. anything like dropping to 1fps.. is performance issue(bad configuration of game profile).. from settings or lack of resources(hardware lacks "juice")

----edit

in some of the cases... some people do not even realize they are using their internal(terribly low performance vga).. rather than external video(better vga, not always intended for games.. but.. probably better) to play the game. and their experience is terrible because of that... so.. try to rule that out first..(there's a guide somewhere on forums for that... maybe from @Brash_Endeavors

Edited by Finnn