Sign in to follow this  
Nomadikhan

New Items: Chess Board and Chess Figures

With the place feature, we can already play mini-games had we just the right tools... er, in this case, items!

Chess Board or Chess Table- Can be made from wood or stone of any material type.  Takes up the entire space of a Square table.

Chess Figures - Can make Figurines from any wood, stone, metal type, or through Arch/Resto skills.  Pawns, Queens, Kings, Rooks, Bishops, Knights.  Dye to change colors.

Let people be their own masters, no other mechanics or skills required.

No Chess playing or making skills, no mini-game skill.

We move the pieces by placing.

Wurm is what we make it, so I ask you...

How about a nice game of Chess?

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 3

I've mentioned this before in GL a few times. Its a nice one because it should take very little work from the art team to make a set of chess pieces; That is practically the hello world of 3d modeling anyway.

Every time I've talked about it I did so under the context of creating more utility to the toy making skill rather than just making more "pointless" (if chess can ever be considered pointless) things with no game mechanics function. Imping chess pieces to grind toys could potentially get the skill some more love than just imping puppets with CT. Still using the carp/masonry items for the different piece types of course and I had thought that wooden pieces would be the start and stone pieces would have a skillcap to be able to create.

P.S.

The "economy" would get a little boost too from trying to collect a full rare+ set. Especially if it had wood/stone/metal types too. How "cool" would you be to own a supreme slate vs marble set of pieces!! (I put cool in quotes out of jealousy for whoever gets this)

Edited by CreZ
post script
  • Like 2

Just now, CreZ said:

I've mentioned this before in GL a few times. Its a nice one because it should take very little work from the art team to make a set of chess pieces; That is practically the hello world of 3d modeling anyway.

Every time I've talked about it I did so under the context of creating more utility to the toy making skill rather than just making more "pointless" (if chess can ever be considered pointless) things with no game mechanics function. Imping chess pieces to grind toys could potentially get the skill some more love than just imping puppets with CT. Still using the carp/masonry items for the different piece types of course and I had thought that wooden pieces would be the start and stone pieces would have a skillcap to be able to create.

I'd actually completely forgot about Toy Making skill, simply because of the lack of use.. That's much better then Fine Carp.  Good point!

Hey that sounds like a good idea!    I would be all for it.

I've already made a version of chess in wurm at my deed but it is more for show then for playing.  Maybe if I made the board  bigger then I could play real chess but would take up quite a load of tiles. - Below in Spoiler is fog chess.

• Like 2

What about.. Fixing all the existing bugs and issues first and maybe ONLY then adding some crap like in-game chess..  

2 hours ago, CreZ said:

Especially if it had wood/stone/metal types too. How "cool" would you be to own a supreme slate vs marble set of pieces!! (I put cool in quotes out of jealousy for whoever gets this)

I'd love to see this in the game in various material types, and checkers too while they are at it!!  Other games could follow.

I know some could not care less for this, but for those of us who enjoy such things, it would be SWEET for two players to be able to seat alts at a table for a game of chess or checkers (or some other similar simple game that could be added later), while our main toons are doing something productive. 😜 

This would be particularly enjoyable given the new 3rd person viewpoint allowing us to rearrange the camera view without moving our characters about.

Checkers you could more or less do now with say iron and copper coins or various ground spices. It would be a bit cheesy and I doubt you'd get many people willing to play you but should be doable.

22 minutes ago, CreZ said:

Checkers you could more or less do now with say iron and copper coins or various ground spices. It would be a bit cheesy and I doubt you'd get many people willing to play you but should be doable.

no, because >3 coins on same tile is "pile of coins".

I don't think the interface is up to this.  We cannot just grab things and move them, but have to open a menu every time or select them and use a key bind to place them. 

Unless the board is HUGE, you will very quickly run out of places to place and will instead be looking at a crate with tools sticking out.

I can't see this being simple to provide.

6 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

I don't think the interface is up to this.  We cannot just grab things and move them, but have to open a menu every time or select them and use a key bind to place them. 

Unless the board is HUGE, you will very quickly run out of places to place and will instead be looking at a crate with tools sticking out.

I can't see this being simple to provide.

I'm not following you at all on this.

We have the mini village tokens found via archeology, and they sit together on a table just fine. We would need chess pieces that work just like they do, but look like chess pieces. Add an 8x8 tile board and we have all we need.  Right click->place is pretty simple when you are used to doing it.  The pieces would just need to be place-able anywhere on the game board, unlike with some tables where it seems you can't place some items too close to some edges.

And maybe rather than a board that can be placed on a table, add an actual chess table to the game with the board tiles marked on the surface of the table.

Edited by Thalius

Some may remember this thread where chess and several other things were mentioned. It has a lot of positive feedback from devs and staff, just not sure what ever came of this behind the scenes.

I would want to use the place grid with holding down ctrl. That would mean the board needs to be a full tile