Sign in to follow this  
Ignacius

Improved character appearance options

The choices we have for the appearances of our characters are extremely limited at this time. Long hair essentially doesn't exist (for either sex), darker skin is pretty laughable in that the range is basically from sour cream to mildly sunburnt and nothing darker... One of my favorite aspects of Wurm is how beautiful the landscapes are, and the wide ranges of options we have in the things we create, yet the faces of our characters (not even to mention there are actually *no* options for their body) have been what they are, unchanged for at least the 4 years I've been playing WU/WO.

I saw in the Steam discussion thread that a list of suggestions for QoL and such improvements would be nice; I feel doubt that any single player would call this a horrible idea? Like I said, Wurm's such a beautiful environment to immerse yourself in, it would be nice to feel a better personalization of our characters themselves. I'm not saying to put The Sims 4 levels of customization into the characters, but just a wider range of appealing options would be wonderful.

And especially if the move to Steam hopes to bring in new players, I must admit here that I've referred dozens of people over the years to at least check this game out, and regardless of whether they end up enjoying the game and/or sticking around, one of their first "what do you think" observations they've all given me is "Wow, the options for your character's face are very limited."

• Like 3

That's just the character creation, later on.. your appearance is 1 thing, and another is.. how you communicate with other players in the game - chat only, ok..

but if you do something - animations of the actions are a bit odd with huge saw randomly spawning from nowhere "in on your hand" or an anvil-'ring' swaying as you create something, and so on.. 

Than here come emotes and player animated actions with them, emote sounds have not changed for a looooo..ng time.

There were several changes with the way graphics work for lamps/creatures/player armor.. probably some of that 'technology' could be reused to improve character customization

(by that I do not mean rareglowing-cow-men.. but the way textures on bits of the game changed and these improvements probably could be reused partially even?)

• Like 2

We spent many more years with everyone having the same character model so this already is the "improvement". I didn't like it then and I won't like it now. No matter what they add no one will be satisfied because it will still look dated. Should just go back to everyone looking the same so at least theres nothing to fall short of by trying.

@CreZYour point is that not everyone will be happy with new options so best to just not have any at all? This is something that wouldn't be difficult to add and would give players' characters additional variety. If you end up not liking the ones they add, then from the sounds of it you're no better or worse off than you were before.

Actually my point is "bah humbug, you get out of here with your new fangled pixels!".

Well that and a slight overtone of "Do things well or don't do them at all." because I think the people who judge a game by things such as how they can customize their character are never going to be satisfied. You for example came into the system after it had been dramatically expanded with a whole slew of customization options and yet still made this thread. Granted the options are limited both in terms of breadth of variations but also by the technical implementation so I don't think you are unjustified. Neither though would be the guy three years from now who made a similar thread to this about the new system that could be put in place in response to this.

(Also, I maintain my opinion that there is a memory impact on too much customization and having to load lots of extra models and textures when around large groups of customized people, one that actually gets to matter over time given java's predilection for bizarre garbage collection but I don't want to derail your thread with more of that again.)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CreZ said:

We spent many more years with everyone having the same character model so this already is the "improvement". I didn't like it then and I won't like it now. No matter what they add no one will be satisfied because it will still look dated. Should just go back to everyone looking the same so at least theres nothing to fall short of by trying.

maybe we could all be stick 'men' and remove animations completely.. just have a log as a character model.. if it's still and stiff like one, could just as well take the shape to fit the character.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finnn said:

maybe we could all be stick 'men' and remove animations completely.. just have a log as a character model.. if it's still and stiff like one, could just as well take the shape to fit the character.

We're in the wrong thread for this so let's not hijack this with too much back and forth but...

+1. Yes please!

I'd like to be a simple cube with an @ on the sides please and thank you. A log is much too complex of a polygon and wastes precious render cycles preventing me from playing on my casio calculator wristwatch.

On 3/9/2020 at 2:00 AM, CreZ said:

Actually my point is "bah humbug, you get out of here with your new fangled pixels!".

(Also, I maintain my opinion that there is a memory impact on too much customization and having to load lots of extra models and textures when around large groups of customized people, one that actually gets to matter over time given java's predilection for bizarre garbage collection but I don't want to derail your thread with more of that again.)

Sounds like a completely misinformed opinion to me.

System memory issues should not be in issue in this modern age.

Java's garbage collection? Only a usually matter upon first upload of vertices to the GPU and it only applies to CPU bound resources of which a VBO is not.

Past that? GPU memory is again hardly a concern. Wurm isn't here dealing with million vertex models, with 4096x4096 textures each.

This isn't the goddamn 90's. One should not be catering towards people with ancient hardware and if the renderer is so bad that it can't even do the simplest optimizations, ya know like any culling at all, then yikes I say for the future of this game.

27 minutes ago, aleios said:

Sounds like a completely misinformed opinion to me.

System memory issues should not be in issue in this modern age.

Java's garbage collection? Only a usually matter upon first upload of vertices to the GPU and it only applies to CPU bound resources of which a VBO is not.

Past that? GPU memory is again hardly a concern. Wurm isn't here dealing with million vertex models, with 4096x4096 textures each.

This isn't the goddamn 90's. One should not be catering towards people with ancient hardware and if the renderer is so bad that it can't even do the simplest optimizations, ya know like any culling at all, then yikes I say for the future of this game.

ahem.... 

33 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

ahem.... 

Your point being what? There's bugger all information in that thread and what I've stated above still stands. It's either user hardware being trash, or the renderer needing an optimization pass. Not anything to do with GPU memory nor system memory.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, aleios said:

user hardware being trash, or the renderer needing an optimization pass. Not anything to do with GPU memory nor system memory.

my vga does not even realize I play wurm.. it's in energy saving.. I'd safely assume that it's chewing more cpu.. or just being happy with the vga in cricket mode.. barely performing..

p.s. it does turn into performance mode if I turn on the shadows madness.. but it's retarded how much performance shadows cost in wurm, I'll ignore their existence until they are worth the performance loss they cause.

Getting off-topic with performance discussions. Make another topic, please.

Edited by Ignacius

3 hours ago, Ignacius said:

Getting off-topic with performance discussions. Make another topic, please.

No, performance discussions are not off topic.  Performance considerations directly relate to this suggestion.

16 hours ago, aleios said:

Your point being what? There's bugger all information in that thread and what I've stated above still stands. It's either user hardware being trash, or the renderer needing an optimization pass. Not anything to do with GPU memory nor system memory

My point is that there IS a performance problem, from whatever it arises.  It doesn't seem to arise from user hardware, though, so as you say it may be the renderer.

Crez opined that there is a memory impact on customization, which opinion you declared misinformed.   Perhaps memory isn't the bottleneck, but something is because the impact is real and not only noticeable but problemmatic.

In the thread that I linked, I was expressing that I had pared down my graphics settings (to animals gliding around like wooden toys in stop-motion) and that hadn't fixed it.  It's already a problem, and more customization will increase the problem unless the root cause is addressed.

30 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

In the thread that I linked, I was expressing that I had pared down my graphics settings (to animals gliding around like wooden toys in stop-motion) and that hadn't fixed it. 

There doesn't seem to be a very good source on what all the graphics settings even do. I suspect a lot of people just try to turn everything off, but several of the settings actually have a decent chance of improving performance when they're on.

There is also a common issue where if a game isn't demanding enough, the GPU driver stays in power save mode and gives relatively poor performance compared to what it could do. That's not specific to Wurm but Wurm in potato mode will likely trigger it.

And of course there are a bunch of computers where you can accidentally run it on the integrated GPU instead of the dedicated GPU they also have.

Some more options would be nice, but tbf. We got a lot already.

i just posted my suggestion about that below

Edited by RedguardKnight

i just joined the game i loved it for 30 minutes

until i realize there is no way to make a dark brown skinned character 

and no much way to make younger looking faces either

then i uninstalled the client

but i'll be glad to come back to wurm online if younger faces & skin tones choices would be added in further updates like this 

thousand thanks for taking account of my suggestion

kind regards🙂

skin_palette__by_bykeyva_d713d0u-fullvie

Edited by RedguardKnight

I'm a new player. Idk if this is helpful, but I have all my graphic settings set to the max and I'm not having any performance hits. Averaging 150+ frames a second.