Sign in to follow this  
Madnath

QOL update - Put runes/imbues at the bottom of cast list

We're not yet advanced enough to be able to choose what we dispell, so I think a bandaid would at least be a better option for now.

There is no reason a rune should be in the middle or above any enchant. We can just replace runes with no penalty as we desire, so it makes dispelling them to get to a cast below it a frustrating thing. It's kinda weird that nobody though this should be a thing when runes were introduced but hey ho. Same for imbues, and metallic liquid effects, put them AT THE BOTTOM JESUS CHRIST

I think best order would be:

Enchants as they currently stack, you can control the power for dispelling and improving if you use your head

Rune

Metallic liquid

Imbue

• Like 15

what happened to the dialog with menu what to dispell?

why did that idea get dumped in the ditch?

Dialog menu woul dbe the best but anyway if that is off the table ye sput enchants on the top please please please

19 hours ago, Finnn said:

what happened to the dialog with menu what to dispell?

why did that idea get dumped in the ditch?

Something that was mentioned on the official Wurm stream as just an additional to a conversation. Apparently Buddas server on WU had dispelling option but it was buggy as hell and tended to break. Kinda why I just suggested this way of going around runes/imbues as a bandaid than a full fix for dispelling being terrible.

Whatever the chosen solution I think the issue needs some sort of attention. This is a solid bandaid as long as you can't paint yourseld into corners where the rune can never be removed/replaced.

One could, in theory at least, argue that with good planning you can put the imbue and rune first and then enchant on top, but it is definitely impractical especially with the current shatter mechanics where even a 99channeling account can shatter a 70+ ql item with a roll of bad RNG. Even besides that its most often that someone obtains a nice enchanted rare and then chooses to rune and imbue after to make their dream tool or worse the imbue wears off completely and then needs to be added to the top again.

Alternate bandaid:

Remove imbues, runes, etc from the current dispel mechanism and make it so you can only dispel channeling based enchantments. Another means could be added to remove the other enhancements although I'm not really even sure of any case in which someone would actually wish to do so. Maybe you want to be rid of a glow rune or something? In which case some sort of soul depth based skill similar to rune attachment would be sensible to also be able to remove a rune, more so than a channeling based one anyway.

32 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Something that was mentioned on the official Wurm stream as just an additional to a conversation. Apparently Buddas server on WU had dispelling option but it was buggy as hell and tended to break. Kinda why I just suggested this way of going around runes/imbues as a bandaid than a full fix for dispelling being terrible.

somebody re-watches these?

- sums the information given there?

didn't think so - well that makes it lost information.

no idea how wurm stores it's data.. but if item's enchants are persistent.. and you can find what's on the item.. you can certainly.. rearrange it's properties... and re-write them all back if needed..

but that's just me.. I don't know maybe wurm have code that can not be fixed and a real gem have been hardcoded to make it 'impossible' to solve this equation.

20 minutes ago, CreZ said:

Alternate bandaid:

Remove imbues, runes, etc from the current dispel mechanism and make it so you can only dispel channeling based enchantments. Another means could be added to remove the other enhancements although I'm not really even sure of any case in which someone would actually wish to do so. Maybe you want to be rid of a glow rune or something? In which case some sort of soul depth based skill similar to rune attachment would be sensible to also be able to remove a rune, more so than a channeling based one anyway.

rune-dispell should be a thing that isn't "priest" related(only link to it is the actual need to dispell to remove as only workaround to replacing the rune instead).. but a restoration or archaeology.. 10 or whatever skill unlocked.. if you have the skill - be able to remove the rune if needed/wanted...(currently if you're not a priest.. and you find/make a 'rare' shaft with enchant.. it's useless to store in bsb.. you just can't do it unless you're a priest to dispell it

imbue afaik there's no limit unless I'm forgetting something.. you can have them all on single item? idk why these would be possible to dispell than...(correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm lazy to check wiki for this atm)

(reduced size, or size rune buff or less-size on backpack/knapsack/measuring-jug/etc.. could cause some annoyance etc.. I think we still can not dispell runes casted on smelters and such which you can not pick up.. only way to remove it.. is to replace the rune instead..)

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

somebody re-watches these?

God no, I just remember it being mentioned. But if the code doesn't allow this to happen it highlights an incredibly serious issue lol

As for removing imbues and runes another way, there's really no reason to want to remove an imbue or rune. Runes can be replaced at will by just trying to attach a new rune, and imbues are so expensive I'd worry about anyone who wants to remove it

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 1

What happens if you try to replace a rune on a triple runed arch item? For that matter what if you just don't want any rune at all? I mean sure you could replace the one you don't want with something that does nothing but that does seem silly. I don't feel like that is a cause to not make it so dispel only dispels channeling enchantments though, just that maybe there should be some other method if the edge case warrants it.

I don't see why you wouldn't flat out want a rune on something if it's already there. Could be done with something like a metal brush, same as you do with item skins. I just know dispelling as it is, isn't cutting the mustard.

Not even 1 page of discussion about it yet the post actually "won the day"

Kinda telling really isn't it? Seems this is a no brainer decision

Since liking it is not enough. Just do the thing!

We need this is if you are not willing to code a dialog menu for dispel. Save my tools!

• Like 1

PLEASE DO THIS , I JUST DISPELLED 87 BUTCHER IMBUE ON SOMEONES SUPREME KNIFE PLZ DEVS

• Like 2

Drop down menu - dispel enchant #1 , #2, #3, etc. ... I gotta assume somewhere when it was coded that it just randomizes enchants or what since it's so difficult to implement?

+ 1000 please add. So annoying having to enchant in a certain order just to make sure you get good enchants on stuff.

• Cat 1

11 hours ago, Beastwolf said:

PLEASE DO THIS , I JUST DISPELLED 87 BUTCHER IMBUE ON SOMEONES SUPREME KNIFE PLZ DEVS

I dispelled the first metallic liquid I got right after applying it. 

• Cat 2

This would be a helpful band-aid.

But we do need the ability to pick what we dispel or the ability to rearrange the properties on an item.

oops sorry capslock was on.

• Like 1

Bump because if someone can do it with a 12 year old thread, I can for a good suggestion

PRIEST ACCOUNTS ARE ACCOUNTS THAT HAVE NO PURPOSE BUT TO PRINT SILVER. THEY SHOULD BE MADE AS BRUTAL AND PAINFUL AS POSSIBLE

• Cat 2