Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes: 03/MAR/20

I see well reasons for that measure. Over time, the database got spammed with those alts, prolly there are about 20, 50, or even more such ghost existances per single active or potentially active account.

Rather than only stopping that habit now by such a radical measure, they should consider a house cleaning: checking for all alts which never were premed after the 2s period, and scrubbing all which have not been logged on for 6 months or so, maybe with a warning mail (from a noreply sender to avoid mass bouncing).

That said, I still hold understanding for removal. The 2s feature was more used for alt spamming rather than for what it was intended. On the other hand, I well understand the grudges about a long time customary feature being removed. Maybe the devs should think about the above suggestion just getting the user database cleaned without alienating players.

Edited by Ekcin

19 hours ago, DevBlog said:

With this we will be also beginning to phase out the existing referral system, with ingame purchases as well as the new introductory offers via the shop no longer giving a referral.

Don't think I saw this clarified in the thread but what does it mean for existing referrals?  I checked my accounts because of this news and I found I had a referral that I haven't claimed yet, do I need to claim it now when I don't need that account prem, or is it safe to wait until I want it to be prem and claim it then?

3 hours ago, elentari said:

Or just perhaps rework channeling/favor grind now that we no longer have the option of premming alts with 2 S.

It's a really long way for a priest, even with a sermon group. But without one? It's going to be one of the most grueling and burnout experiences in wurm without alts. While I do agree 2s alts were heavily spammed, especially for personal goals, I think we need to rework prayer/faith/channeling.

Not everyone can find a group easily, not everyone wants to stay on the same tile every day to grind stuff while others hold sermons

Very much agreed, but i doubt rework will happen anytime soon if it happens at all.

I can only be happy i used sermon alts to cast global spell and grind channeling to 96 right before change... People who didn't do that again missed window of opportunity like always in Wurm sadly.

A nice list of new additions, QoL changes, balancing and fixes overall.

22 hours ago, DevBlog said:

New: Holding autowalk key instead of pressing it once will align your mount or vehicle to nearest 45 degree angle

One of those surprisingly useful features we never knew we needed. Works really well.

22 hours ago, DevBlog said:

New:  Level 100 Archaeology title added

And of course, I greatly appreciate this one. Thank you very much for including it in this update, during these busy times.

Witness-to-Decay-title.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Plaguer said:

And of course, I greatly appreciate this one. Thank you very much for including it in this update, during these busy times.

It's a pretty badass title and I want it. Might even get it before the year 2030.

• Like 1

This is a very easy-to-grind skill, I may have that title even before 2028!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lisimba said:

It's a pretty badass title and I want it. Might even get it before the year 2030.

1 hour ago, Jaz said:

This is a very easy-to-grind skill, I may have that title even before 2028!

Good, good. Such excellent sense of time is essential for any archaeologist of great ambition!

Now make room for tens of thousands of carefully sorted fragments, grab a dozen investigating tools of your choice and hit the road! (Then turn back halfway because you forgot that you were out of blank reports again...)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Plaguer said:

[...] (Then turn back halfway because you forgot that you were out of blank reports again...)

I know that exactly :)

Also about at third of the way to there... [19:36:47] Archaeology increased by 0.0005 to 96.2852

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrGARY said:

Don't think I saw this clarified in the thread but what does it mean for existing referrals?  I checked my accounts because of this news and I found I had a referral that I haven't claimed yet, do I need to claim it now when I don't need that account prem, or is it safe to wait until I want it to be prem and claim it then?

Safe to wait, we won't be removing the existing referrals fully but we're working on a replacement system that's going forward. If the old unclaimed referrals will eventually be removed, it'll be made known beforehand, but there are no such plans right now.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Samool said:

Safe to wait, we won't be removing the existing referrals fully but we're working on a replacement system that's going forward. If the old unclaimed referrals will eventually be removed, it'll be made known beforehand, but there are no such plans right now.

And when can we expect the "replacement" silver first time prem option?

43 minutes ago, Samool said:

I also have 2 I think... been using 2month shop packs for a while.. and didn't bother using these from years ago..

1 hour ago, Madnath said:

And when can we expect the "replacement" silver first time prem option?

Don't hold your breath. The first time shop offers are a replacement for that option, and we're currently not looking into other alternatives.

What happens to unused referrals? (characters who still have unused referral to gift/trade to/with somebody)

Am I correct that if first ever prem time is bought from the shop it will still give a referral?

31 minutes ago, Finnn said:

What happens to unused referrals? (characters who still have unused referral to gift/trade to/with somebody)

As stated they will remain, we have no plans to remove them. 

27 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Am I correct that if first ever prem time is bought from the shop it will still give a referral?

Not for those purchasing the special first time premium deals, but for the regular purchases I believe so. 

11 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

As stated they will remain, we have no plans to remove them. 

Not for those purchasing the special first time premium deals, but for the regular purchases I believe so. 

Which means which of the following?

a) someone buys the special pack and loses the referral option forever

-or-

b) does not get the referral for the special pack but will get it next time when buys a regular option

2 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Which means which of the following?

a) someone buys the special pack and loses the referral option forever

-or-

b) does not get the referral for the special pack but will get it next time when buys a regular option

a)

As the notes say, it's the beginning of phasing out those referrals - once we have something solid to replace them, possibly by end of this month, the regular shop options will no longer give them either.

• Like 2

Do you plan listing all possible options to get premium time and the cost for that somewhere, as there are a lot of changes lately and things start to be only kept in patch notes and valrei news with parts of the upcoming changes listed there, rest come as surprise in patch notes, but business goes as usual and players could use solid 1 place to update how to get premium time, trade, share, gift such and so on..

the details are all on the shop when you go to purchase

• Like 1

Webshop does not have information about starter package(and details) or continuing premium time from token in-game. Webshop only shows the 1/2/3/6/12 month subscription options from web and the cost in euros.

I don't think it explains any bonuses for first premium bought through web shop or if there are rewards like spyglass after reaching paid 12 months of subscription time, etc..

Just feedback.. a single page explaining all this could make it easier for both old and new players.

Also we can see silver amount player have in webshop, but it's not possible to do anything with it from there, any plans to make it possible to pay subscription time or upkeep for a deed the player owns or is part of? (could be useful if you're on your phone or netbook etc... far from a gaming station.. and your deed is about to fall..)

There's so much about this that just screams "weird" to me.

In the process of optimising the game, we're removing the easiest way for an account to get prem and the most ideal way to do a "dip your toe for cheap, see how you go" while also optimising the game for new starters and working towards a launch we hope brings in new players? Where's the logic? €7.99 as your first prem, even for two months is much harder sell than a cheap "trial" of sorts. Hell, €7.99 will get you full games from different storefronts at this point. Again, I get wanting to change it, even if it's due to alt spam to make a channeling grind easier, or combating personal sermon circles, but a full removal at this time with a higher priced introduction just screams strange. Hell, removing it as an option really doesn't benefit the game in any real way, no?

I don't want this to get thrown to the side as salt or anger over a change. I think the follower changes are great, I think player god removal was great, I can agree with most of RMT removal. But taking out a system which people only used to make things more tolerable should be a very big indicator that there needs to be some tweaking with things other than this prem system. Channeling is done like this for a reason, it's a naturally wasteful process to grind and it only gets so much worse. Yes, you can grow your own favour but that takes time and effort which you could also focus elsewhere. Priests are already such a naturally large investment, denying them this is just a big blow to people already reeling from player god removal. With this channeling system it's natural to want to squeeze everything you can out of it, and this isn't exclusive to the new boogeyman of "minmaxers"

I dunno why I'm even fighting, I know this is just going to be brushed over and not even considered

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 5

Also for anyone who missed it, animations are now forced on as per this update. The ability to turn it off in the client will be removed. Removed a few lines from the chat to keep it flowing and cut size.

Crez was confused why animations were playing despite being turned off everywhere.

Spoiler

[23:56:02] <Crezena> I have them set to be off. I confirmed it in the launcher. It just no longer disables them in the client it seems
[23:56:16] <Crezena> I've had them off since they were added
[23:57:35] <Smenext> poke the txt file somewhere that might gone messed up. write only or something, dunno which one it is tho, so many files :P
[23:59:19] <Crezena> nah I even checked in consol and collada_animation = 0
[00:07:51] <Smenext> are you using some weird amd processor. intel works fine :P
[00:09:10] <Retrograde> It's intentional, we'll remove the none option in the future
[00:09:51] <Madnath> Removing the ability to turn off animations?
[00:09:57] <Retrograde> Yes
[00:10:26] <Retrograde> It is next to no performance impact on minimum vs none
[00:12:17] <Smenext> yep, i always used animations on, no trubils, bobbin head thing tho.. dont force that one :D
[00:12:27] <Retrograde> only for you redi ❤️
[00:12:36] <Retrograde> The head bobbing one is annoying
[00:12:41] <Retrograde> so was third party horseback
[00:14:47] <Schiann> 3rd party? Is that where you're watching someone else on horseback? :P
[00:15:58] <Delwise> hang on, just logged in, the option to remmove head bobbing is going?
[00:16:26] <Relouwhite> i play in third person anyways
[00:16:43] <Crezena> its not just about performance its about preference
[00:16:54] <Crezena> I don't want to see things moving around all the time
[00:17:06] <Figs> play with no render
[00:17:22] <Crezena> well, I do but sometimes I have to turn it on to move around
[00:18:01] <Crezena> and you can't use hotkeys by hovering the select bar sadly =p
[00:19:28] <Crezena> I can't see why you would make effort to remove an option to disable something that was already working though. Not adding one sure, its effort that not many will use
[00:20:06] <Retrograde> Because having no animations at all was a rather poor visual
[00:20:19] <Figs> but it was optional
[00:20:20] <Crezena> you might as well just make a patch called "Crez get out and go play WU we don't want you here"
[00:20:22] <Retrograde> At minimum it's got little impact on performance, and no ones T posing all around
[00:21:11] <Crezena> who besides me even had it turned off to experience the poor visual? I mean it was a choice you had to actively make, and one you'd only make if you wanted poor visuals
[00:21:50] <Crezena> should i expect to be forced to use pretty trees and lose noworld render soon too?
[00:22:00] <Beastwolf> wait
[00:22:09] <Beastwolf> so my ###### alts now have to have better visual?
[00:22:23] <Crezena> the first thing I do in every game is set all the graphics to lowest
[00:22:36] <Retrograde> Well given pretty trees has zero performance either, probably

removing the ability to disable animations because a minimal impact isn't significant to some people is a big bad

• Like 4

"New: Holding autowalk key instead of pressing it once will align your mount or vehicle to nearest 45 degree angle" triggers every time auto walk is pressed which honestly isnt a bad thing but just to point it out there

Also the removal of animations being turned off is just silly sure you can claim nearly no performance impact but then why bother removing it? plus animations do infact impact performance on lower end machines great example are older laptops or low low end 9+ year old machines and the likes having 30-40 people bobbing around in local all at the same time starting their idle animation actually does cause a significant frame drop to the point where a client can freeze up for a few seconds and considering most people who play wurm play on pcs that date back 6+ or even 10+ years by now it is a bit worrying
Or when you run 10+ alts to make a sermon party for your group having those animations start actually can cause a fps drop of 10-20 depending on what goes on on other clients due to those alts suddenly needing more power and sure it can be partly fixed with no world render but they still end up using that processing power for some silly reason

Wurm is a sandbox not a linear hand holding game that these changes keep hinting at more and more and more :( its small tiny things that keep being taken away left and right that pile up and cause people to not be happy with you guys like it is nice you finally clarified what happens with vyn but you could have done that when the issue was first raised and updated the original post and said "op updated go check" even this topic has an post from a dev in it that clarifies a big issue that will be raised time and time again if no one reads his post so its best to update the op with that info as well

Its the little things that get under people's skin and starts to bug them the most and annoy them

Like the 2s removal sure we can kinda understand as we all abused it but it was a great way to compensate for a issue with a big part of the game but instead it just comes across as "gcg owns is now we have to make more money to please them so we are forcing more people to use our shop vs letting them have the freedom of purchase where and what they want" and this was something posted up earlier today ingame as a reply when someone asked if anyone knew what the reasoning behind it was

Either way thank you for the nice update next to those previous points now if only we can get level to pile in the next update please ❤️

Rating 6.8/10 for this update
Reason for low score
Undocumented changes being pushed through
Random bad changes to established mechanics(2s purchase)
Some bugged features
Last but not least no free cake

Edited by wipeout
  • Like 1

First of all, i have alot of 2s alts, and ive been using them mostly as listeners to sermons. And dont get me wrong, and i dont like the channelig grind.

That in concideration, i dont think it should be that easy either. I understand that they remove the 2s option to get sermon alts and free favor. I also think that the 2s option is real big for new players. How bout a middle way here? One option could be (not saying its the best option) to have 2s alts not be able to become listeners or priests. To get into the diety stuff you simply have to pay the 7,99e.

This would not limit the storage alts, but atleast with this solution we still can have a fairly cheap way for newbies to try out the game if they forage for a bit, and we remove the 2s sermon/link alts.

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this