Sign in to follow this  
CountZero

The Future of Wurm Unlimited

I'm no programmer so I was hoping some of the main mod makers here could answer a question...

With the end of official support, Retro mentioned that they had added some extra stuff in the last updates to help with graphics and things.....do you modders see plenty of potential for new and interesting mods or have we more or less reached saturation with what can be done and what we have now is more or less it?

WU is pretty much gonna be overshadowed when official steam wurm servers go live.

I don't mind about the official servers. WO will clearly evolve in its own direction - but can WU evolve from this point?

If you don't count in population problems, yes, of course it can.

If you factor in population problems, I highly doubt there would be a minecraft-style plenthora of mods.

• Like 1

"Of course it can"

Is that because of the extra stuff that was added in the final patch? Because it has felt like modders have been hitting up against the technical limits of what can be done for a while before that.

5 hours ago, CountZero said:

Because it has felt like modders have been hitting up against the technical limits of what can be done for a while before that.

Modders have been hitting complexity cap, not technical limits of what can be done.

Thats ofc just my opinion.

Edited by nekoexmachina

I guess this is the real question. Is there any point in starting a new server? See enough empty ones as it is.

All of it equates to about the same answer for everything regarding WU in its current state. Plenty of populated servers, plenty of empty servers. Populated servers are ran well and the person knows what they are doing coding-wise otherwise it's a random flavor of the month server that dies off in a month because it was 1000x and everyone wants to have 100 skill at some point, but then realizes it gets very boring thereafter. The game is literally meant to be grinded out, even the Retail/Steam versions. 

From a statistical standpoint, the last 30 days has seen an increase of +16.66% of activity and has had the highest peak players as well as average players since July 2019. I sincerely doubt that WO Steam is going to have any major impact on WU because the people that play WU generally want modded things that do not exist in WO functionally or want a different rate of skill gain/action rate. Statistically over the past 12 months the game has done the worst in October 2019 reaching a lifetime low of average players. Coincidentally that was a month prior to the announcement of end of life support for WU and everyone knew about it that followed the WU modding discord. Since that point, the numbers have slowly rose back up to where they were in July 2019 because everyone realized it wasn't the end of the world.

9 hours ago, Hanel said:

I guess this is the real question. Is there any point in starting a new server? See enough empty ones as it is.

I've found that many players prefer the excitement of a brand new server, including the challenges of starting from scratch. They love a world that is largely untouched, with dozens of prime deed spots open.  Also, a very large percentage of players get bored once the world is more fully developed, and once they've successfully settled with all the decent QL tools and things that they'll ever realistically use, so they move on to begin again and again.  As long as we have half a dozen players who are still having fun, we keep a server going, but I try not to get so attached to it that I can't just roll with it when it's time to let them have a new one.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hanel said:

Unless you run a gaming community or have a bunch of people willing to join from the get go, or you can offer something unique that no other servers do (IE, custom made mods that exist nowhere else) then no. 

Edited by atazs