Sign in to follow this  
Fairyshine

Multiple accounts for multiple deeds

Just wondering about a few discrepancies between Steam play and previous Wurm Online play styles:

1.  The requirement to have a different mayor for every different deed - will this will change to allow the same person to own different deeds without the need to have different "accounts"/mayors?  I note there have been a lot of emphasis on "person" versus "account" and that it is clear that the game now focuses on real life people who may happen to own various accounts. 

2.  In steam, as far as I am aware, you can't log two accounts at the same time apart from using some workaround.  Yet, in Wurm Online, many people simultaneously play with a priest and a main account due to the priest restrictions.  How will multi character playing be handled via Steam?

Edited by Fairyshine

1 hour ago, Fairyshine said:

2.  In steam, as far as I am aware, you can't log two accounts at the same time apart from using some workaround.  Yet, in Wurm Online, many people simultaneously play with a priest and a main account due to the priest restrictions.  How will multi character playing be handled via Steam?

I don't know if they'll make it possible to have more than one simultaneous login via the steam client. It would certainly be convenient if they did. However, Retro has said:

Steam server connections
These changes allow us to announce something else we have been working towards, and that is how the Steam servers will integrate with our existing servers. 
The Steam servers and the regular Wurm Online servers will be available via BOTH clients, and simply be disconnected via mail and travel. 

This will mean that all servers can be accessed from Steam, as well as the Steam servers accessible via the regular client. This will still require separate accounts.

Anyone who got into the game via Steam, and gets to the point where they want to run two accounts at once, can still download the regular standalone client and use that to log into the Steam server (instead of or in addition to using their Steam client).

• Like 5

you can run multiple clients on wurm unlimited through steam as well, just requires a minor mod

2 minutes ago, Evilreaper said:

you can run multiple clients on wurm unlimited through steam as well, just requires a minor mod

afaik you can do this wihout any mod or script

7 hours ago, Votip said:

afaik you can do this wihout any mod or script

You need to make a text file in the Wurm Unlimited directory with a certain number in it. I suppose you *could* call that a mod but it's not a mod in the regular sense of changing jar files.

Anyway if anyone's interested, see here:

Chances are this exact method would work for the Wurm Online steam client too, though you'd have to change the number to whatever the app ID is of that app.

Edited by Lisimba

42 minutes ago, Lisimba said:

You need to make a text file in the Wurm Unlimited directory with a certain number in it. I suppose you *could* call that a mod but it's not a mod in the regular sense of changing jar files.

Anyway if anyone's interested, see here:

Chances are this exact method would work for the Wurm Online steam client too, though you'd have to change the number to whatever the app ID is of that app.

We used to do this in different way, there was a method with killing steam processes, but I don't remember how exactly it worked.

What I am wondering is whether Steam actually frowns upon these things or is it fine to do?  If they frown upon it, perhaps it would be prudent to accommodate for as many contingencies as possible by building it into the game infrastructure e.g. with regards to deed ownership (multiple deeds but one person owns them instead of the need for a myriad of deed holders etc.) and ways to ensure that people who play with various chars are accommodated within the Steam parameters.

Its just a launcher, Its just like the shortcut on your desktop, you click it and the Wurm online game launcher pops up.

Only thing is that you Click the game in steam for the launcher to popup, or you can also make it a shortcut like the default Wurm online client.

Or you just use the default launcher for WO to connect to steam.

The mod for multiple connections in Wurm Unlimited, is needed(can do it without the mod also) is because WU uses steam for the backbone of account and connection handling and steam does not like having multiple connections from the same user.

Just use the regular client to log onto your "Steam" character. They already said you can log in that way. Why not just do that?