Sign in to follow this  
Toma

Give more clarity on why something isn't allowed

Today I ran into a situation where I couldn't charm my own animal on deed.

So I'm sitting here scouring all my permissions looking all over for why I can't do this.  Allowed to do spells, allowed to brand, allowed to manage the animal.. etc etc etc to no avail.  I go to CA chat to get help, checking and double checking to make sure I have everything I'm supposed to have.  Until finally I realize that charm animal counts as "attacking a citizen" when the animal is branded.  Now this is extremely obscure, because under normal conditions, why would you ever grant a citizen the ability to attack other citizens.  Of course this is freedom, so you can't really attack other players anyway.  But still, this was really confusing.  However this isn't really point of this post; the real problems boils down to poor messages that do not explain why you can't do things.   Just make it easier to resolve permission headaches, which is something that comes up very commonly with new or even veteran players. 

Suggestion: Update not allowed messages to include all the permissions the user is lacking to perform said action.

Instead of

[02:15:38] That would be very bad for your karma and is disallowed on this server.

It should say

[02:15:38] You do not have the 'Attack Citizens' permission so that would very bad for your karma and is disallowed on this server.

Edited by Toma
  • Like 14

This has been one that's been bugging me for ages! Misleading messages are annoying, and very confusing for new players.

It also comes to include the not allowed to take out of the cart because you're too far away. The message should be changed to "You need to be closer in order to reach this" or something to effect. 

Please add Merchant mechanics to the list of things that need clarifying.

Nothing screams "Beta" like a vague, generic and uninformative failure message. Not that Wurm is beta or anything like it, but is the feeling one gets from this kind of interaction.

The whole “attack citizens” permission is just... pointless, misleading and stupid? You cant attack other players on Freedom, and im pretty sure you can just attack anyone on a PvP server on the same deed even if that permission is disabled for said deed.

12 minutes ago, nitram20 said:

The whole “attack citizens” permission is just... pointless, misleading and stupid? You cant attack other players on Freedom, and im pretty sure you can just attack anyone on a PvP server on the same deed even if that permission is disabled for said deed.

Technically this depends on whether you have the lawful flag on or not. You would still get this error on a PvP server if you are lawful. This prevents you from accidently doing something illegal on a PvP server, but yeah it doesn't make much sense on freedom.  As I stated in the op, it's quirky but I'm fine with it as long as message clarity is improved so you actually know what permission to use.

5 hours ago, Gumbo said:

Please add Merchant mechanics to the list of things that need clarifying.

I hope the devs would consider doing a review of all "error" messages before the steam release.  Even basic things should be looked at for example: "you may not carry that weight". Well what weight can I carry?  How much heavier is the thing I'm trying to pick up than what I can do?  These small quality of life changes could go a long way towards making the game more approachable to new players on steam

7 hours ago, Ehizellbob said:

This has been one that's been bugging me for ages! Misleading messages are annoying, and very confusing for new players.

It also comes to include the not allowed to take out of the cart because you're too far away. The message should be changed to "You need to be closer in order to reach this" or something to effect. 

+1 on better error messages, the cart one tripped me up a while ago.

Believe it or not, messages today are a fair amount better than they were just a couple years ago. They are constantly adjusting them. But they do need to be requested changing, so suggest away.