Sign in to follow this  
KharnovKrow

Connection Problems

Hello,

I have been having an issue all day every time I have tried to log into Wurm Online where I cannot get it to hold a connection for more than a few minutes before I am disconnected, sometimes receiving the message "An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine." As far as I know, there has not been any massive change to the amount of internet use by other people in the house, and I am using an ethernet cable to connect to the router, so I don't think it's anything to do with the amount of bandwidth available. I uninstalled and reinstalled Java and Wurm after getting home from work today, but the issue doesn't seem to have changed, so it doesn't seem to be particularly time-sensitive or occasional.

I'm not especially tech-savvy, so I have kind of run out of ideas on how to deal with this. I'll try running it again tomorrow morning to see if it works better then, but if not I was hoping that I could get some suggestions on possible fixes with relatively straightforward instructions. I'm playing on an Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop, with 64-bit Windows 10 and Norton AV, and I can provide any other information people might consider relevant.

I have been having the same issues as of this last Friday.  but still love this old game :) let me in!

And I am still having the exact same problem 24 hours later, so this being "just internet issues" is looking less and less likely. I would really appreciate some input from a staff member or something, I'm growing rather frustrated by this situation.

If you run a traceroute (tracert on windows) to say xanadu.game.wurmonline.com you'll likely notice that the communications break down somewhere between your internet and the wurm servers. Usually at the connection between your backbone route and the interconnect to hetzner. This is an internet thing and no one can do much about it. The wurm team is migrating things to AWS which may alleviate or diminish the amplitude and frequency of such issues but until then your best bet is to look at the other similar threads and follow a recommendation for using a VPN in order to change the route you take.

You can't rely on traceroute's output with more moneys on the branch..

check your latency and ping the wurm server/s.. see if you drop packets instead, this could explain your drops... 

in rare occasions.. if it's not completely from your cable/isp.. you can just use *relatively any vpn* to play the game normally.. sometimes with better 'ping', but not always... if you have packet loss.. call your isp and be angry..(well try with good before lighting the molotov..)

Thank you for your responses, both of you. It seemed weird for it to be a hetzner/internet thing, since it's a new but sustained problem. I'll check that stuff when I have a chance, replying quick on my phone.

I meant to come and post this sooner, but got distracted last night. Just confirming that the recommendation of using a VPN did solve the problem for me :)

Thank you very much, CreZ and Finnn, for your advice!