Sign in to follow this  
Nikko

Pricing of items past and future - - time for a correction

I'm me. Nice to meet you. Its not like the game isn't full of people telling others how to play anyway, heck even the wiki does that.

I think the point I'm making is pretty clearly explained in the next sentence but to reiterate, if all you're looking for is silver there are better ways. There needs to be some other motivation to your actions. 

4 minutes ago, elentari said:

And then you'd see why the market is dying when prices become too low. It just isn't worth it to sell certain things if they become too cheap.

I feel like you actually agreed with me in most of what you said rather than "attacking" my argument (and definitely no offense taken for doing so). You do it because its something you want to do and you want a token gesture of reward for that but recognize that you could more easily make the silver through other means.

As for the part I'm quoting, that is the essence of supply and demand is it not? If the prices are too low then that means the supply is greater than the demand and therefor the market isn't dying. Should the prices drop to the point where no one wants to imp hammers then supply run low and the prices will rise again potentially to a level where you can be bothered to waste a woodscrap.

Edited by CreZ

4 hours ago, rixk said:

Just simple question... "Why?"..

Because if you want to make money, go find a job and stop playing video games.

Just… do the math okay?  If you're *really* good at making bricks (YOU, not your character) you can keep up with 4 clients making bricks at the same time, shuffling rock shards into your inventory, etc.  With current market prices, you're looking at about 2 Euros per hour (equivalent) and even though RMT is gone now, that is a drop in the bucket compared to doing something so simple as flipping burgers for a living.  

3 hours ago, elentari said:

I actually wanted to have good weapons & also make some money from it.

Grinding a skill just to make money from it is a stupid reason to grind a skill.  Think about all the sweeping changes that have been made to the game in the last year.  People that need herbs/spices/flowers no longer have to rely on botanizing, all you need is gardening (which skills MUCH faster).  Coal making for ash for LW?  Nah, just light up a basement full of forges and clean them.  Metallurgy ---> making steel ---> plate smithing….. oh... we can just make them out of iron now.  By the time a new player decides they want to take up weapon smithing and manages to get it to 90 skill 10 years later, there may no longer be such a skill.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Because if you want to make money, go find a job and stop playing video games.

Just… do the math okay?  If you're *really* good at making bricks (YOU, not your character) you can keep up with 4 clients making bricks at the same time, shuffling rock shards into your inventory, etc.  With current market prices, you're looking at about 2 Euros per hour (equivalent) and even though RMT is gone now, that is a drop in the bucket compared to doing something so simple as flipping burgers for a living.  

Grinding a skill just to make money from it is a stupid reason to grind a skill.  Think about all the sweeping changes that have been made to the game in the last year.  People that need herbs/spices/flowers no longer have to rely on botanizing, all you need is gardening (which skills MUCH faster).  Coal making for ash for LW?  Nah, just light up a basement full of forges and clean them.  Metallurgy ---> making steel ---> plate smithing….. oh... we can just make them out of iron now.  By the time a new player decides they want to take up weapon smithing and manages to get it to 90 skill 10 years later, there may no longer be such a skill.

Last week I decided to build a pottery house to turn it into a hotel and a distillery. Great! Something to do. So I grabbed my shovel, leveled up the ground and planned my building. Then I realized I had no pottery bricks.

Now at this time I could had gone to Trade chat  and probably found someone to make me 2k pottery bricks for like 4 silver or so. 4 silver would cost me 4 euros and if I made the bricks myself would take me about 2 - 4 hours of digging and pottery. 

In real life I make about 50 bucks an hour. That roughly translates to 44 euros an hour. I could sign up for overtime, work 2 hours and have enough money to buy enough bricks for the next year or more. So I did the most obvious thing I could do...

...I grabbed my shovel and started digging clay. Why? Because is not about the effort to money ratio. Is about sitting there with a bottle of Jack Daniels, a bunch of friends on voice comms, and doing something relaxing that will not require much thought process. Blow off some steam and hang out with friends.

Not everything in this life is about numbers and finances and smart decisions. I could pay someone 10 bucks an hour to grind my account and play my game for me while making 50 an hour at work. But where is the fun in that? Why play a game that you wont play?

• Like 4