Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

Display racks

It would be good to have somewhere to put gear so that that it is actually depicted (as it would be on the ground or a table) but is a stand or rack.  You could have a rack by the door with your favourite weapon, or farming tool, visible so that you can rack it when not in use, but you can grab it directly without opening the container first. Or make it a stand, only holding one item, but allow them placed close together on a tile.  Going to farm? grab your shovel, rake, scythe etc.  Going mob hunting? sword & shield, bow and quiver etc.

It would also allow a player to create a display of choice items in for example their armoury (or boudoir if you are into that sort of thing).

It would also be a good way to have shields standing instead of either packed away or lying about.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 11

+1 because multiple players, myself included, have posted about this very same concept for YEARS.

• Like 1

I've always wanted to leave a rake leaning up against the wall by my farm fields rather than having it sitting flat on the ground.

It would provide utility as well as aesthetics and doesn't seem particularly challenging to add.

• Like 2

A separate but related suggestion, when renaming racks and other storage, it would be great for the name to be FIRST before the description.

• Like 1

It looks like the latest update has shield racks, so that's at least them off the bed.

yeah i hate how my plate armor has the leather model on the armor stand same with the other kinds just looks like a line of leather armor *yawn* i agree it would be nice to have some displays, and a more complex placement options like to lean things agents walls or other various objects.... and for that matter we have weapon racks why don't we have one for large tools like shovels rakes, range poles, Dioptras, ect

• Like 1

I put tools in a weapons rack set aside for the purpose, but it would be good if it was actually called a tool rack.

• Like 1

The ability to manually place things at any angle or position would be amazing, aesthetics wise.

But I believe the main challenge would be to sort out vertical collision for that. Since wurm doesn't really have ragdoll physics, placing a rake that rests on a fence can be risky to code. The rake could just "fall" on the ground or worse, through the world.

That being said, individually showing items in a rack would be quite amazing but I think would take a long time to code since you'd have to sort out what is shown in what order. What if I have a compass, 20 hammers, a reed pen, whetstone, a medium shield in a large container unit? Are they all shown? Are 20 hammers shown or just 1?

I mean the feature is doable, it just seems a lot of hassle and development work when other critical issues should take priority.

14 hours ago, elentari said:

That being said, individually showing items in a rack would be quite amazing but I think would take a long time to code since you'd have to sort out what is shown in what order. What if I have a compass, 20 hammers, a reed pen, whetstone, a medium shield in a large container unit? Are they all shown? Are 20 hammers shown or just 1?

What I am envisaging is not the same sort of storage as current racks with just "empty" and "full" depictions and "full" could be anything from 1 item up to dozens, but a rack with small fixed number of "slots" and each item is placed in a slot and displayed that way.  I have noticed the Empty Shelves and both Small Square Table and Large Dining Table all have specific locations where you can or cannot place items on them.  A display rack would be similar, in that you place an object "on" the rack to display it.  

A difference is that the "racks" currently available are not actually racks but containers - i.e. you put things IN them rather than ON them, and they are design to store stuff rather than to keep it available or visible (in the real world nobody puts hats IN a hat stand, they put hats ON a hatstand).

This would be primarily for display and on-hand grabability, not storage, so there would be no need or ability to put for example 20 hammers in it.  You would put your favourite 1 on the rack and the other nineteen into a storage container.

Yes, while I think being able to just lean a tool up against a building would be cool, that isn't going happen without a ground-up rebuild of the physics (we have all seen some of the bizarre interpenetration of objects and structures, I have lost count of the animal heads I have seen poking through walls).  One could achieve that aesthetic effect, though, if the rack is placed up against the wall and the tool is then placed on the rack.

• Like 1

+1 from me. In a specific personal context for myself, I've been planning to/toying with the idea of building a museum for a long time now. This would make it more presentable.

Beyond that I can think of many fun uses for this. It just makes sense.

On 3/5/2020 at 5:39 PM, elentari said:

The ability to manually place things at any angle or position would be amazing, aesthetics wise.

I had an idea about how to achieve this.  It isn't really leaning, but is close.  When placing an item, scrolling the mouse rotates around the y-axis.  What if shift-scroll (or ctrl- or alt- or something-) rotated about the x-axis.  Yes, some objects would defy physics (e.g. a sword standing on its point) but the game is already not too dogmatic about physics (I recently backed a wagon with 4 horses through a single door - interpenetration is just accepted).

"I love how items decay on deed" - said nobody ever..

but that's bound to tick on your laying around/on the wall weapon/shield/armor..  : /

As a new player I didn't care that much and had a coffer by the door with most needed items when going out, and another with the extra not so needed tools/weapons/etc. I certainly get why you want this.. but... idk if you've considered decay ruining the ql of your gear.

either way.. +1 for lockable/with permissions/ stand for such weapon/armor/shield for wall or w/e stand of that sort

8 hours ago, Finnn said:

"I love how items decay on deed" - said nobody ever..

but that's bound to tick on your laying around/on the wall weapon/shield/armor..  : /

exactly

On 2/28/2020 at 8:46 PM, TheTrickster said:

It would also be a good way to have shields standing instead of either packed away or lying about.

+1 I have several rare shields I would love to do this with! I want to be able to see my lovely painted shimmering work. Not to mention the turtle shields too.

Edited by Katrat

Another reason for display racks, we could show off the skins we have on items.  I currently have an adorned pickaxe and a spiked club lying on my bed because I like the look of them and if I rack them all I see is the rack.  Skins lose their value if we can't show them off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Another reason for display racks, we could show off the skins we have on items.  I currently have an adorned pickaxe and a spiked club lying on my bed because I like the look of them and if I rack them all I see is the rack.  Skins lose their value if we can't show them off.

I use the top of cupboards for this.

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 1

Just to throw my 2 irons in there - 

It would be very nice if "themed" containers provided some (small?) reduction in decay of items that match the theme. Call it a theming bonus or whatever. Call it nothing at all, I don't care... but If I put my tools in a tool rack, or tool box - one of the reasons I've store them there is to give an extra little bit of protection from wear & tear, cobwebs, and rust. 

I don't leave my armor (leather, maille, plate, etc) just laying about - I keep it clean, well oiled, and polished on my armor stand. 

I put my cloth clothing, hats, and cloaks in my wardrobe. That keeps them neat and tidy, and protects them a little bit from moths and mice. 

Basically... if a player has gone to the trouble of crafting a specific themed container for each of their various sets of items, tools, and equipment... it's because that player actually gives a fig, and actively wants to keep their stuff well-maintained. 

Without the incentive of some sort of decay reduction or whatever - you end up with the current status quo: everyone just keeps a coffin by the door. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

Bump!  It's never a necro if we don't let it die!

Absolutely.  I drafted but didn't post a bump about a day ago, to this and to hanging things on walls.  I have my "specials" stored and I make sure they aren't decaying but I want to DISPLAY them.  And yes to racks and storage reducing/preventing decay.  IRL we put stuff into storage systems to protect it, so the storage system takes the damage first.  If the storage system is protected due to deed upkeep, then that mechanic is simply working the way it should.

At that, upkeep is like paying someone else to look after the upkeep on buildings and other elements, so they really nothing should should take any decay type damage on a paid-up deed unless it is in a rubbish pile. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Amata said:

Without the incentive of some sort of decay reduction or whatever - you end up with the current status quo: everyone just keeps a coffin by the door. 

I honestly don't know why a coffin should provide better protection than a chest.  Protection is one of a chest's 2 functions. 

• Like 2

definitely not a necro

When will we be able to display stuff in a way that is safe and secure?