Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Wooden guard tower

I know that you guys are looking at some qol things and one that comes to my mind is a guard tower that a new player can build. Even if it was just a few guards it would help till they can either get a deed going or the mason skill to build a stone one. (one that a free/new player has the ability to build) 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2

guard shack that can house up to 2 guards? I think its a good idea.

• Like 1

Well you would want it so that anyone could use it so the normal tower would still work but a free player could get it up to 20ql potentially. 

How is a new player unable to make a guard tower? To me, summoning the "king's guard" should take quite a few resources and effort. Mining out the rock shards for it is about 10 tiles of rock being torn down - not that hard. Making the bricks for it - another few seconds of effort per rock shard. Getting the clay can be difficult depending on your location, but the time required to actually gather it is quite low.

Though it might be a pain on Freedom, none of this is especially difficult or complex. I'm not sure about the "rate of attachment" to a guard tower, as that's not something I've tried to do on a fresh account on the server cluster I frequent.. but that part might be worth looking into.

• Like 1

If this were to be done I'd like to see it tied to a deed the way traders are so that it poofs when the deed drops. Otherwise its just more trash cluttering the landscape when people leave and worse yet it would block people from putting up real towers.

Of course if what I suggest was done then what use would it have when you can just hire a templar?

Would it have the same range and limitations? AKA 20, 50, 80 and 80 tiles for the various aspects.

Also what if instead archery towers were modified such that you could call for help and they would shoot a targeted aggressive creature within range when on PvE? Then there isn't the need for the art team to work out a whole new model which might help make it more feasible and that is already pretty much what I imagine a wooden guard tower would look like.

• Like 2

Would be nice if archer towers were given a use on Freedom, yeah. Just have it fire arrows at a slow speed to provide support damage. Make something different than just a budget guard tower

11 hours ago, Jore said:

Would be nice if archer towers were given a use on Freedom, yeah. Just have it fire arrows at a slow speed to provide support damage. Make something different than just a budget guard tower

I had similar thoughts when I first read over this suggestion.  We already have archer towers in game that do nothing on the Freedom servers, so why not just use them since they already exist?  Just make it so that the archer tower requires less skill to build and have a low rate of fire that improves with higher tower ql.  An archer (or archers), from the tower could fire arrows that, when score a hit, chase off mobs rather than kill them, providing a safe haven for players but not actually killing the mob(s) that are the problem.  They should decay quickly off deed at low quality, being made of wood and not requiring much skill to make them.  An off-deed, low quality, unmaintained archer tower should not clutter up the natural landscape for long.