Sign in to follow this  
leander

Please give us Pirate Hats

Wurm Pirate Hats.

Ahoy wurmian mates!  it has been frightfully apparent, to me, and most of my fellow wurmians, for a long time that the wardrobes and closets have been very empty, the clothing options are very limited, to say the least.  i believe its time for a change of clothing! :) i offer a few ideas to kick it off, ive been brewing these for a while and since this seems to be the season of change so i offer these for your consideration. 

Pirate Hats

Spoiler

2kZiPiA.jpg

CORButj.jpg

there are a few possibilities for this one. 

One option would be to give the adventurers hat the option to use a string and fold the rim a tailor could do it up to three times and every fold is a different look.

the second option would be to add new models and recipes to tailoring skill for a Cavalier Hat and a Tricorn (Pirate) Hat.

Jesters cap

Spoiler

5RCBvNZ.jpg

PAI7kUy.jpg

this one will require a model i'm sure but would love to see it just to add some fun i know one of my alts would ware one of these forever

Capes someone else has brought this up here is the link to their post

i mean we have the item slot for it and its just filling with dust soooo.....?

Priest Robes

Spoiler

ptCynjt.png

this image i found was perfect for what i was thinking because the robe would replace the chest item be it a shirt or jacket it would be dyable and seen in this image is a long tabard that is worn over and would use the tabard slot, it is cinched with a rope belt the two items that would need a model is the robe and the tabard because the hood already in game would work for the hood for the outfit already.

if anyone has any more idea i encourage you to post here. thank you 

Edited by leander
correcting issues
  • Like 13

The more things that get added the more bloated the client gets, the more memory it uses to be around people, and the longer it takes to download. Maybe if these things were part of the optional jar and could safely be ignored by those who don't want all the extra cruft? Other than the logistics issues character customization and all that is always something people enjoy so these seem like reasonable ideas. Personally I'd just as soon we all had one character model in a green outfit and a smaller client footprint but I guess I'm weird and more pixels make games better now.

i see your point CreZ but one of the selling points of the game is its diversity of creation and customization. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, CreZ said:

The more things that get added the more bloated the client gets, the more memory it uses to be around people, and the longer it takes to download. Maybe if these things were part of the optional jar and could safely be ignored by those who don't want all the extra cruft? Other than the logistics issues character customization and all that is always something people enjoy so these seem like reasonable ideas. Personally I'd just as soon we all had one character model in a green outfit and a smaller client footprint but I guess I'm weird and more pixels make games better now.

it doesnt make any sense

• Like 4

As a fan of anything that adds customization, +1 from me--but it needs to not remove our hair when we put it on. (I'd like some more medieval hats and veils, too!)

• Like 5

9 hours ago, NeeNee said:

As a fan of anything that adds customization, +1 from me--but it needs to not remove our hair when we put it on. (I'd like some more medieval hats and veils, too!)

oh my i totally agree with the hair i mean i chose for my toon to have long hair and when i put on a hat he is as bald Mr Clean it dose bother me and i totally agree with the veils and more gender specific (not saying the male toon couldn't ware one if the wanted.) for the female toon as well like nice dresses.

Edited by leander
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 9:05 PM, CreZ said:

oNObxMf.gif

• Like 6

Give me a tricorne so the BL coastguard can rise again, please.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

oNObxMf.gif

So... You're telling me that adding more objects is essentially free and its my imagination when I' watch the updater going through loading all the extra models and textures for say Jackal or the new wall types. Those aren't sitting on my hard drive, I didn't spend time downloading them, and my client doesn't have to load more things into memory when a character with a different hairstyle or armor type is in my area (and hope that maybe garbage collection frees it when they leave)?

How then does it work?

If all this is free, when can we bring back the old models for the different wood type ships; add ducks, antelope, mammoths, and housecats; provide different body weight and size/age character models; make forges out of sandstone; have diagonal fences and rounded house walls; and add tattoos?

14 minutes ago, CreZ said:

So... You're telling me that adding more objects is essentially free and its my imagination when I' watch the updater going through loading all the extra models and textures for say Jackal or the new wall types. Those aren't sitting on my hard drive, I didn't spend time downloading them, and my client doesn't have to load more things into memory when a character with a different hairstyle or armor type is in my area (and hope that maybe garbage collection frees it when they leave)?

How then does it work?

If all this is free, when can we bring back the old models for the different wood type ships; add ducks, antelope, mammoths, and housecats; provide different body weight and size/age character models; make forges out of sandstone; have diagonal fences and rounded house walls; and add tattoos?

He's not suggesting that additions to the game don't increase file size. He's pointing to the fact that you're irrationally concerned about small cosmetic additions negligibly effecting your gameplay because other people may use them in an MMO. Customization is literally one of the main points of this game. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jore said:

He's not suggesting that additions to the game don't increase file size. He's pointing to the fact that you're irrationally concerned about small cosmetic additions negligibly effecting your gameplay because other people may use them in an MMO. Customization is literally one of the main points of this game. 

Where when and how has customization ever been a main point of the game? As I understand it the OP was pointing out how little customization there is. Customization is one of the main points of say APB where you have a lot of choices and no two anythings are the same. Terrain modification and to some extent house building have been the closest thing I can think of to customization and even within that things are still fairly similar, flat areas with box houses on them.

You also say its irrational and negligible, do you have any benchmarks around that? Where is the tipping point that you judge adding things is worthy to be a valid performance concern? If you're saying oh its just one thing, or just three things, that can only be done so many times before those 3 things becomes 100 things.

My reply here was based on his "that's not how that works" gif, which I'd still like to hear how its not. Also in my original reply in the thread you can see that I said customization is popular with the masses and that I'm an outlier for wishing we could go back to a single shared character model. I never said it shouldn't be done either, I just suggested that if this becomes a focus (and inevitably expanded once the sluice gates open) there be some means by which it can be optional ( think setoption pretty_players false). Having a lightweight performant core and then layering things on is in my opinion always a better way to do things.

I would love a pirate hat. Put one on, get in the crow's nest of a cog, and start yelling drunken pirate nonsense. Arr!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CreZ said:

Where when and how has customization ever been a main point of the game?

from the main site :) 

Welcome to Wurm Online!

Developed around the idea that sandboxes should give ultimate freedom, Wurm Online aims to hold true to the original sandbox vision.

With sprawling seamless lands, no instances, and a true open world experience Wurm Online offers limitless opportunities for you to write your story.

Whether you enjoy conquering kingdoms, building your home or hunting dragons, Wurm will let you.

Stake your claim anywhere in the world and build fully custom structures.

Your journey starts here.

3 hours ago, leander said:

from the main site :) 

build fully custom structures.

All I'm seeing in what you linked is a suggestion that you can design your own house/deed. Nothing else seemed to mention customization much less market it as a main point of the game.

I think there are *way* better games to play barbies in and I don't think anything they do could ever bring character customization up to par with even the low end of the spectrum of games that try.

Regardless, graphics vs gameplay is probably as much a holy war as PvE/RP vs PvP. I happen to be strongly on the game play side and spending effort and consuming resources to add things that are form with no function will never sit well with me. There are lots of people on the other side of that divide though and I think attracting those people is a priority these days so I'll say again that these are probably decent ideas if thats the goal.

Just please, for the love of Fo. no bunny/cat ears...

Edited by CreZ

22 minutes ago, CreZ said:

Just please, for the love of Fo. no bunny/cat ears..

oh my word, 🤣bunny ears for spring fantastic idea

• Like 1

If we get pirate hats we should also have shoulder pads with a parrot built into the model.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Araxiel said:

Let us sail around and act like pirates in peace CreZ.

+1

Truthfully, I'd be a lot more into it if it gave you a bonus to ship speed or to mindlogic so you could command a better ship or something. Then it has an actual function too. Of course then you'd need to have one for non-pirates.

(I'm surprised there was no request for eye patches, shoulder parrots, wooden leg pants, hook gloves, and cutlasses sword skins to round out the look)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CreZ said:

Truthfully, I'd be a lot more into it if it gave you a bonus to ship speed or to mindlogic so you could command a better ship or something. Then it has an actual function too. Of course then you'd need to have one for non-pirates.

(I'm surprised there was no request for eye patches, shoulder parrots, wooden leg pants, hook gloves, and cutlasses sword skins to round out the look)

i dig the idea of ship speed bonus, and i didn't want to get to stereotypical or ridiculous, however a eye patch 🤔 the shoulder pad parrot built in, wooden leg, hook glove(silly and cartoonie) tho the cutlass short sword skin i like  

• Like 2