user

Poll System for Content

Those of you who do not know about RuneScape. It was originally one game that went down a path the players did not approve of and started losing mass amounts of players. They decided to open a legacy version of the game. To ensure the same mistakes do not happen again they implemented a poll system. The system is simple basically there's poll booths around the map that the devs put update ideas in and the players vote.

Not saying anything negative about Wurm or the team. It's my favorite game probably always will be. I just believe the system is rather smart, I mean who knows what should be added into the game more than the players. 

Obviously the system would have its kinks that need to be worked out i.e PVP updates vs PVE updates, stubborn oldies vs newbies, ect.

Again- I love this game and truly care about it. I can't really think of a flaw in making the content in the game more player driven. I would love to hear others input on this idea. Maybe ways to improve such a system and possible other kinks that could pop up were it added.

• Like 12

I like the idea, however one issue (maybe small) is alt abuse.  I, like others, have 6 past-prem alts, and the credit card to summon quite a few more.   There would need to be way to ensure voter inflation doesn't happen.  #russiancollusion

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

I like the idea, however one issue (maybe small) is alt abuse.  I, like others, have 6 past-prem alts, and the credit card to summon quite a few more.   There would need to be way to ensure voter inflation doesn't happen.  #russiancollusion

That should realistically have a solution in itself with whatever they have planned with the account sharing update. Whatever they plan on using the track that could use to track poll answers.

4 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

I could see this being mitigated a decent amount by only allowing 1 vote per client ID or mac address (or both being cross referenced for this even). also, with the new account sharing restrictions and, I'm assuming, a system being put into place to monitor this, it should be fairly straightforward to keep that from happening to a large degree. I love this idea and would be incredibly excited to see it added to the game.

Just now, Dadadah said:

👍

+1

Voting would be cool. Wurm's an old game man.

"Wurm's an old man game"

Fixed your grammar for ya :P

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Finnn said:

#NotHappening

I have the confidence in the Wurm team to have a discussion on the matter, that's why I made the post. Though you bring a good point to my mind as you seem like the type that would vote no on all polls just because a negative boring attitude.

• Like 2
  • Cat 2

1 hour ago, user said:

Not saying anything negative about Wurm or the team. It's my favorite game probably always will be. I just believe the system is rather smart, I mean who knows what should be added into the game more than the players. 

Given that I'm not always thrilled with some of changes, or moreover with what seems to be the direction, I'm not opposed to having a say. That said I don't know that consensus is really the best plan either. The real issue is that "the players" is by no means a unified mindset. There are at least as many opinions as there are people and while some of those match up, even the ones that are like minded still tend to have differences when you get to the detail. On top of that you have some pretty wide schisms about what different types of players want. Trying to base everything on a majority rule means there is no solid direction. You tend to wind up with conflicting changes and a sort of back and forth between ideological blocs. Add in to this the fact that something may sound really good to a player who doesn't have experience and can't understand how it will effect the bigger picture and then later when they become more seasoned they'll change their mind and be against it.

Agree with the decisions made or not I find that games that try to pander to the userbase rather than follow a vision tend to be lackluster. This is especially apparent in Early Access games. Someone at the top has to have direction and drive to make an interesting and specific game or else it just turns into a mushy puddle of mediocre crud. That said, a bit of polling from time to time might help with some decisions and would if nothing else give the appearance of player choice.

Could be interesting if we vote on what aspects of the game they focus on for the month rather than vote for specific changes and additions. QoL, new decorations, combat improvements, etc. A lot of different areas to vote for, but it allows the community a chance to make it known what they want to see worked on and gives the team direction based on that but still provides them with the freedom to do what they see fit. 

Obviously a horrible idea, not like runescape has a large player base who enjoys the majority of the game.

Really though would love to see some form of this implemented. +1

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dadadah said:

👍

+1

Voting would be cool. Wurm's an old game man.

5 hours ago, lelovito said:

"Wurm's an old man game"

Fixed your grammar for ya :P

I liked lelovitos change more than your comment, just saying.

Gathering player opinion should always be a thing, it doesn't compell them to act upon it, but at least it is a data point for them to make feature decisions moving forward

+1 from me!

• Like 1

Yeah I agree about the polling content Besides these forums where opinions are often divided through a lot of sections and subject, it would be nice to have a general perspective on player feedback.

We already have the "suggestions" thread that often times contains the same requests repeated over the years for the same things to be implemented. Having them ingame would probably garner the feedback of a lot of players who don't regularly post and read these forums. They are just as much wurmians as all of us.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2020 at 10:49 AM, CreZ said:

There are at least as many opinions as there are people

You know the saying; opinions are like anuses - everyone has one and quite a lot stink.

1 hour ago, user said:

Bump/

We already have a system in place that handles this, was used on the first Elevation reset iirc. Currently being no active polls, but if there was one, you could use the command /poll to cast your vote.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:40 AM, Nomadikhan said:

Simple, for each map, let players choose 100 representatives who will have right to vote, voting will take place via voice on some channel, so that there are no doubts or let anyone who wants to vote cast it in person.

Edited by Darnok

17 hours ago, Ausimus said:

We already have a system in place that handles this, was used on the first Elevation reset iirc. Currently being no active polls, but if there was one, you could use the command /poll to cast your vote.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time this system was used? I don't recall seeing any polls in year and a half or so that I've been playing, but I could have missed them.

4 hours ago, BarnabySpraggins said:

Out of curiosity, when was the last time this system was used? I don't recall seeing any polls in year and a half or so that I've been playing, but I could have missed them.

2015ish