Sign in to follow this  
Polojordan

Banned for Terraforming

I've been hearing stories from multiple people stating that someone was recently banned for terraforming off-deed. What are the details about this if it is true? Some of the stories I've heard involve griefing as the cause and some others that a Wurm Dev didn't like it was so close in proximity to his deed.

I do a lot of terraforming off-deed and I would hate to be banned for something i thought i was in the clear.

Sorry if there's another post on the topic, was looking for information on this, but didn't see anything.

• Like 2

It would be nice if such a rule was clarified in the rules section. 

It's even kind of understandable if a whole community area doesn't want some eye sore. 

HOWEVER it should be put in writing or some guidance if its happened enough or clarifies what is considered bannable otherwise you can ban anyone for any silent rule you want to be honest.

8 minutes ago, Polojordan said:

I've been hearing stories from multiple people stating that someone was recently banned for terraforming off-deed.

And this story is not true.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

From what I witnessed the ban was not for terraforming. It was for what happened during and after the investigation into the reports of suspected griefing caused by the terraforming. It may have been able to be worked out with a fair solution that made everyone equally unhappy, but we will never know now because the player in question did not have the patience to follow through the process.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

I know Wurm has its fair share of trolls in the population and others that like to play victim, but had heard this from people in a couple different groups and wanted clarification.

As there has been a couple of rather vocal  members spreading some misleading information concerning the Oni case and an apparent post made to an old defunct reddit not currently used by us I would like to clarify the OP in this thread.

Oni was NOT banned for any terraforming activities off deed!

We probably would not have needed to do anything concerning him until he decided to appeal the case GM's ruling on the field.  At that point, while polite, he was just dictating terms to us and unwilling to compromise or listen.  That would have garnered a slight penalty, perhaps 3 days to a month ban depending on further belligerence.

But, no, the reason Oni was banned was his own decision.  He was already in the process of failing to "delete" his account thinking he could reset it to 0 skill to more or less make it unusable, when at the same time I received several in game complaints about his chat activities and a request from him to delete his avatar.  Still polite, we spoke for a bit, and I could see by his actions and words that there would be no reasonable dealing with him so I just gave him what he wanted, wished him well,  and removed him from Wurm.

The only game rule he was rubbing against was the Play Nice rule, which is primarily intended to help us mediate disputes like this and reduce the 'drama'.  He apparently refused any sort of compromises or discussions before we were even involved, and I have been told by the GM's that they were pretty generous offers that he had received and refused, much more generous than ours was.  In the end, Oni simply wanted it his way and apparently it just wasn't going to be any other options accepted.

So any claims of bias, or claims that he was banned for his off deed activities is pure falsehood!

/Enki (Head Game Master)

• Like 16

I got banned once for doing off-deed terraforming but I totally deserved it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Enki said:

He was already in the process of failing to "delete" his account thinking he could reset it to 0 skill to more or less make it unusable, when at the same time I received several in game complaints about his chat activities and a request from him to delete his avatar.

Was that why he was repeatedly murdering himself with deed guards set to KoS, to try and reduce his skills to 0? That's hilarious in a mind-numbing kind of way.

I was present for some of the initial chat between Oni and the residents of Newspring who tried to negotiate with him about his disruptive terraforming, and even participated a little bit. Enki's description of Oni's behaviour with the GMs sounds completely consistent with my own experience; always civil, but utterly uninterested in acknowledging the interests or feelings of anyone but himself. Basically a constant exchange of people expressing their own feelings and reasonable compromises, and him repeatedly replying "But I want Mad Max."

28 minutes ago, KharnovKrow said:

Was that why he was repeatedly murdering himself with deed guards set to KoS, to try and reduce his skills to 0? That's hilarious in a mind-numbing kind of way.

I was present for some of the initial chat between Oni and the residents of Newspring who tried to negotiate with him about his disruptive terraforming, and even participated a little bit. Enki's description of Oni's behaviour with the GMs sounds completely consistent with my own experience; always civil, but utterly uninterested in acknowledging the interests or feelings of anyone but himself. Basically a constant exchange of people expressing their own feelings and reasonable compromises, and him repeatedly replying "But I want Mad Max."

That's one reason he was killing himself over and over. The other thing was him wanting his data deleted under GDPR regulations, and him "zeroing" his account by making more data to delete was his idea of making sure he got his way. He sent the email very early on a Sunday with his request.

I said it was kinda sad he got what he wanted by the power of tantrum alone, but there we are.

So, in a way, you still cant do terraforming off-deed as the GMs were called out due to the fact he was terraforming lmao. Happens only on freedom i guess lol. 

36 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

So, in a way, you still cant do terraforming off-deed as the GMs were called out due to the fact he was terraforming lmao. Happens only on freedom i guess lol. 

Seems very obvious that his terraforming was intentionally disruptive and ultimately the worst that came from it was that he was ordered to cease and desist in his specific circumstance of terraforming.

And that was after ignoring others directly affected by it who tried to work with him. 

Seems like a very forgiving process for anyone interested in off deed terraforming.

Edited by BDCKoolaid
Formatting
  • Cat 1

Oni sounds like he deserved it by how he acted.

It's the idea behind this that strikes the "someone is annoying and needs to be put in their place"

when you have OVERARCHING rules that pretty much say well this literally covers anything. 

its fearful for a game if you invest ALL of your time in money into it over a decade.

It is probably impossible to write ever single rule for griefing or chat blah blah. But there should be some clarity, as when the game evolves so must the rules In WRITING having less invisible rules would help. LIKE GETTING MUTED for saying Gary, or just excessive chat moderation. I reread the chat rules 100 times over.

..and maybe it is just me who cares cause my career and entire life is purely reading rules so comments like Retros in global make me unsettled in a game that is very important to me, along with its community. Nothing against Retro just poor choice of comments in my opinion openly to a community.

[17:01:06] <Retrograde> Because we can, and will ban for any reason we determine fit to. -Via Global Chat

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

Again this is misconstruing the initial action for the result. 

This is included in the rules under game rules: wurm online team: B ) You will obey any directive or instruction given by a Game Master.

Furthermore, as per our EULA which is agreed to upon login: Wurm Online may suspend, modify, terminate, or delete any player account at any time for any reason without notice. 

This person was not banned for terraforming, they are banned for  being uncooperative and then proceeding to ignore gm directives and demand they be removed from the game.

People are not muted for saying Gary, they are muted for continuing to dredge up an old harassment case thinking it's edgy. 

• Like 4