Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

Glow Rune - Allow us to dye the item as well as the glow

Since this is a feature and not a bug, following up on my bug report I would like to suggest a system in which we can choose whether we want the glow runes attached to our items to be affected by the dye on the item or not.

I'm coming to suggest this, as I attached glow runes to my painted statues, thinking they'd be painted but glowing. Afterwards I realized the glow color was the color of the dye and the statues were unpainted and there was no way to reverse this, so I actually thought this was a bug at first, as nothing on the rune indicated that this would happen.

I can see many nice uses for the glowing light in different colors and I absolutely love this, so I wouldn't want to lose it as a feature. However, I would also love to be able to actually have painted items that glow - which is what I tried  to achieve in the first place until I realized that it is not possible.

Perhaps we can have an option kind of like "Attach" which would only add the normal glow and "Attach With Dye" which would change the glow color?

Or perhaps a separate rune, one for taking dye into account and one just for a glow?

Or maybe there's a way to do both? Allow us to dye the item AND choose a color for the rune by, for example, dying the item, attaching the rune with dye, and then dying the item again, making the first dye attached the glow color? I prefer this last option, personally.

Edited by Yldrania
  • Like 3

-1 (I do not see a good application for the suggested complication)

..But this could easily be done by casting courier enchant on items.. to separate them.. dye for the item and glowrune's light remaining default(white) and not affected by any dye.. while there's courier enchant on the item.

bless enchant already helps lamps on paved tiles(with the fuel protection).. and they use the dye on lamps

• Like 1

Having read your Is-this-a-bug post I have to admit it does seem rather odd that an already painted item should suddenly not be painted any longer just because it glows now. Being able to choose the color of the glow is awesome though so I think a two zone thing like hull/sails or scale and drake armor with primary and secondary dyes would be quite reasonable. It would probably make sense for it to be a thing on all light sources even and not just things with a glow rune. Lye to remove light color and brush to remove object color.

Wouldn't have thought of this on my own but your actual experience makes a perfect use case to justify it and I'm all for it. (You might want to recap that scenario from the bug report in here so it doesnt require referencing another thread though.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Finnn said:

-1 (I do not see a good application for the suggested complication)

6 hours ago, CreZ said:

Wouldn't have thought of this on my own but your actual experience makes a perfect use case to justify it and I'm all for it. (You might want to recap that scenario from the bug report in here so it doesnt require referencing another thread though.)

Thank you for the tip! I have added this to my post:

I'm coming to suggest this, as I attached glow runes to my painted statues, thinking they'd be painted but glowing. Afterwards I realized the glow color was the color of the dye and the statues were unpainted and there was no way to reverse this, so I actually thought this was a bug at first, as nothing on the rune indicated that this would happen.

This should help clarify for you, @Finnn, in what situations this might have a good application, and adds the experience to the post like @CreZ said :) 

well, one might want a yellow statue to give a orange glow... so obvious +1 just need to find a way to tie with the current dye mechanisms and spells or tools at our disposal.