Sign in to follow this  
Schiann

Salvage house walls and fences

In addition to the option to simply Destroy a house wall or fence, what about the option to Salvage, with a chance to produce some materials? 

Skill used: Restoration
Tools: Crowbar and Pliers (borrowing some mechanics/text from archaeology)

Chance to successfully salvage materials, and QL of materials salvaged calculated based on Restoration skill, effective QL of structure,  and QL of tools used. 

• Failure causes damage to structure (lowering QL of subsequent salvage, but speeding removal)
  • QL of salvaged materials capped at % of structure QL, to discourage building with low QL materials just to salvage for higher QL ones
  • Same restrictions as Destroy; Body Strength requirement, permissions requirement, etc
  • Types of materials salvaged could take into account levels of related skills like Carpentry, Masonry, Blacksmithing

The idea is to make the removal of structures no longer needed a bit less painful in regards to loss of materials, and encourage remove-and-rebuild (over relocate and rebuild) a bit more.  

• Like 14

So we're to grind Archaeology/Restoration to save a few bricks and mortar from tearing down a single house wall?

I only see a benefit to this when used on a larger scale.  Like demolishing an entire castle when you're preparing to move your deed to another place, or if you're someone that destroys house walls 10 times to make a house look *just right*. 

Pretty pointless if you ask me.

I totally see your point, Wargasm, but my thought was to give it as an option while keeping good, old-fashioned Destroy there for those not bothered.  The level of Restoration required for decent results could be set relatively low, and/or amount of materials salvaged could be high, to balance out the effort.

Restoration skill just seemed the most obvious choice of existing skills to utilise, to me.

If I destroy a house wall, there's going to be debris.  Rocks, dust, wooden splinters, whatever.  I don't want players to receive free re-usable bulk mats for tearing down house walls.... but since you mention restoration, maybe it would be better if you got 2-3 plank fragments, nail fragments or brick fragments from destroying a house wall?  Then you can use your restoration skill to re-create a few 5 QL planks, having spent 5 minutes to recycle the 3 planks it would have taken you 15 seconds to saw for the next house wall.

I can't truly criticize your suggestion until I see the numbers involved.  How long do the actions take?  How many bricks/mortar do I get "refunded" for salvaging a house wall?  The abundance of raw materials used for making building mats makes me inclined to think this suggestion is a bad idea.

I really like the concept of incentivizing people to clean up their abandoned buildings rather than just ignoring them. The specfics of the implementation aren't as important to me, but anything we can do to encourage people not to leave abandoned things littering the world seems worth considering.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 11:14 AM, Wargasm said:

So we're to grind Archaeology/Restoration to save a few bricks and mortar from tearing down a single house wall?

I only see a benefit to this when used on a larger scale.  Like demolishing an entire castle when you're preparing to move your deed to another place, or if you're someone that destroys house walls 10 times to make a house look *just right*. 

Pretty pointless if you ask me.

I could see legitimate utility for it, when dealing with less common materials.  Say, you built a building from marble, but in the course of building it, you tapped out most of the high quality the marble veins near your place.  You want to rebuild, but your marble veins are all low quality.

Tear down the old building, preserve some high quality marble, and mix it in with the low quality marble to improve quality in the new building.

• Like 2

I can see that working for wooden structures or items.

Stone structures, like in real life, just end up as a pile of rubble after all.

I like the idea, greatly.  Not so useful for stone and wood as those things are common, but I can see tearing down buildings made with rarer materials in order to salvage something from them.

As for stone structures historically becoming rubble, not universally true.  Stone from structures was easily reusable. That is the main reason so many old abandoned stone buildings and walls were torn down by the locals in ages past- to reuse the stone in their homes and villages.  It is certainly a mechanic that makes sense.

Edited by Thalius

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 1:33 AM, Wilczan said:

I can see that working for wooden structures or items.

Stone structures, like in real life, just end up as a pile of rubble after all.

Eh?  No, hardly.  Once a stone is cut to a size and shape useable for building, they will be used and re-used time after time for thousands of years.  I'd not be surprised if some of the stone foundations and walls of small buildings and homes in Greece and Italy are made of cut stone that has been re-used dozens of times over the last four thousand years or so.

• Like 2

i really like the idea and have thought about this a lot as well, here are a few of my thoughts, to expand on the concept.

• you do not fail when salvaging just like bashing or using the destroy building option.
  • you must be the owner of the building or have perms for it.
  • you have the option to destroy building/wall or salvage it.
  • when salvaging the building/wall with the option it will salvage half the materials used in the creation of the building or wall caped at the ql of building/wall 
  • crowbar for stone, you only salvage the stone of the wall the mortar is not salvageable the stone is caped at the ql of the wall.
  • pliers are for wood and timber, the nails, clay, and mixed grass are not salvageable the planks and beams are caped ant the walls ql.
  • Like 3

I'd have to say crowbar makes much more sense on a wooden wall than pliers. Stone wall would be a sledgehammer (smaul) and maybe a chisel.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CreZ said:

I'd have to say crowbar makes much more sense on a wooden wall than pliers. Stone wall would be a sledgehammer (smaul) and maybe a chisel.

i see your point and agree with you i was just using the tools suggested by schiann the OP

+1 Love the idea of reclaiming mats from old buildings that need to be removed to make way for better ones.

How do you suggest to protect random walls/fences on a road and such?

..Intended constructions..  what stops somebody from going to them and collecting materials from them for own building or to sell them as bulk?

I believe Leander touched on a possible solution to that involving perms.

On 3/3/2020 at 12:19 AM, leander said:

you must be the owner of the building or have perms for it.

Granted the walls and fencing would need perms for this to work.

1 hour ago, Katrat said:

Granted the walls and fencing would need perms for this to work.

fences can not be salvaged only house walls that the person owns or has perms on