Sign in to follow this  
Cipacadrinho

Allow overlapping combat and grinding keybinds

Hi! :)

I was thinking if with the new UI and QoL updates you could allow for players to keybind same key for a pve action and for a pvp action.

So let's say i have Z to Cut Trees for non combat actions and that should be the default setting i load the toon in game with but as soon as i get into combat i could have Z to focus without having to type in console a rebind.

Also it would be nice if we could press and hold a key over the combat ui (directional attacks, stances etc) and be able to keybind them like that. Most people have  just d aim_upper_middle and focus maybe a shield bash but on keys out of the way since all the convenient ones are taken with pve actions keybinds.

I think it would be a nice seemless transition from pve keybinds to combat ones while being to use convenient confy to press and reach keys for both modes.

Would imagine you could just create a 2nd set of keybinds with the condition (in combat) and be able to store and map the keys for that in a separate config file? 

• Like 1

-1, you can already do this simply by using shift+ key or control+key, I do not want automatically shifting keybinds

13 minutes ago, TradingAlt said:

-1, you can already do this simply by using shift+ key or control+key, I do not want automatically shifting keybinds

Considering how many actions are available in Wurm i for one  already have all the modifier convenient keys combo's  taken with out of combat actions keybinds.

And i thought that since in combat i won't be doing any out of combat actions why not be able to have my left hand on my movement keys my mouse hovering the mob and be able to press the same convenient easy to reach keys to perform combat actions.

You can also left mouse click on the combat options.

The ideea is to be able to use the same 1 convenient easy to use key for a non-combat action and another for a combat action.

Is about fluent transitions between combat and non-combat without having to change the position of your hands.

Edited by Cipacadrinho

11 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Maybe have ONE toggle key to switch between 2 sets?

That could be a thing too but the whole reason to have this feature is to have the ability to switch from normal mode to combat mode in a fluid natural way so that you don't have to break immersion by having to think:

Oh crap wheres my switch keys mapping key? have they loaded in? no? is it because of lag or i did not pressed it? let me hit it again... is it working now? ok..cool..now i have the combat ones out:)

Could make it a toggle in the settings similar to head bob toggle.'

I was thinking of ways this could be annoying and thought: oh wait what if the toon is low skilled or low geared? Well then he would have to run from the mob won't be able to perform non combat actions anyway.

8 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Maybe have ONE toggle key to switch between 2 sets?

Its already easy to do this

+1

I'd like this for everything to be honest.. like, cutting trees / chopping wood. If we could have both as "x", the system knows when the Hatchet is activated, targetting a Tree Tile, it means Chop Down. Then when a Felled Tree is targetted, it means Chop Into Logs. So many binds to do, would be useful if able to overlap.

Edited by Encrtia
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CreZ said:

Its already easy to do this

The thing is, when in combat, you cannot perform any other non combat actions, even if you had say 5 digging actions queued and you get in combat after 2 the other 3 will be performed only after you get out of combat.

So you are de facto locked out of using non combat keys during combat anyway so then why not use those very confy easy to reach and press keys to perform combat related actions during that instead of being of 0 value like they are at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Encrtia said:

+1

I'd like this for everything to be hoenst.. like, cutting trees / chopping wood. If we could have both as "x", the system knows when the Hatchet is activated, targetting a Tree Tile, it means Chop Down. Then when a Felled Tree is targetted, it means Chop Into Logs. So many binds to do, would be useful if able to overlap.

Buddha already mentioned he was intending for the UI update to have a default action key where you would be performing a defaul action depending on your activated tool and the object you are targeting.

Now we cant say if they intend to keep it that way but i don't think this and that feature would clash since there are more than one very usefull buttons you would need to bind in combat.

Ah I see, thanks for sharing! I'm just an avid player, casual browser - no idea who Buddha even is beyond Buddhism.. but sounds great.

+1 to your vision regardless.

Edited by Encrtia
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

The thing is, when in combat, you cannot perform any other non combat actions, even if you had say 5 digging actions queued and you get in combat after 2 the other 3 will be performed only after you get out of combat.

So you are de facto locked out of using non combat keys during combat anyway so then why not use those very confy easy to reach and press keys to perform combat related actions during that instead of being of 0 value like they are at the moment.

Well you might have keybinds for spells or sacrifice on those "easy to reach keys" and not just digging so they aren't of 0 value to everyone. But it really is quite viable to load in different sets of keybinds with exec files for any given action and only ever use the same 3-5 keys to do every task, which is what I was replying to. I'm indifferent to your suggestion, but I thought new guy should know he can do exactly what he suggested should he care to.

For me, my hands never leave the keyboard and every key is easy to reach. I have binds on nearly every letter of the alphabet and on many of them using one or more modifiers.

s-l1000.jpg

31 minutes ago, CreZ said:

Well you might have keybinds for spells or sacrifice on those "easy to reach keys" and not just digging so they aren't of 0 value to everyone. But it really is quite viable to load in different sets of keybinds with exec files for any given action and only ever use the same 3-5 keys to do every task, which is what I was replying to. I'm indifferent to your suggestion, but I thought new guy should know he can do exactly what he suggested should he care to.

For me, my hands never leave the keyboard and every key is easy to reach. I have binds on nearly every letter of the alphabet and on many of them using one or more modifiers.

s-l1000.jpg

Yes but why use external software and extra actions when it could be in the base game.

You think players will go the extra mile and do this? Sure some will.

But why not have it for all in the basegame?

It *IS* in the base game. No external software is required...

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Quickswitch_hotkeys

It certainly does take extra effort though and I really am not trying to diss your suggestion. It makes no difference to me if they implement such a thing. I wouldn't use it but it wouldn't ruin my life either. There are options already available for switching keys though, it just doesn't trigger on entering combat like you would like.

Edited by CreZ
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, CreZ said:

It certainly does take extra effort though and I really am not trying to diss your suggestion. It makes no difference to me if they implement such a thing. I wouldn't use it but it wouldn't ruin my life either. There are options already available for switching keys though, it just doesn't trigger on entering combat like you would like.

Is a good feature but: 

- players need to find out about it

- they have to create the files 

- they have to press the extra button to switch from one to the other is not a natural no extra action required transition

- not all players are computer savy and they would be unwilling to try it even tho is quite simple and straigh forward to set-up

I like both the idea of context sensitive keybinds of Buddha and OPs approach to more flexible keybinds, but it seems a bit too hung up on differentiating between combat and non-combat on a technical level - which would require the tedium of tagging every single action as either one by a dev.

I think it would be a practical compromise to allow us binding multiple actions to a key, and the first action that is viable to do on a target is performed. Actions already "know" what they can be performed on, so I'd wager that perhaps this isn't a big implementation effort to check if an action can be performed on a current target. That's hopeful speculation though.

Either way, people could implement both Buddha's one for all key to their own liking even, and OP can bind attack/combat keybinds before anything else, achieving the same effect, doing basically the same steps.

The issue I see with this is how this is handled in the event window which would basically need to know ahead of time what your keybind will do to print the proper message, which isn't always possible, but that's a cosmetic thing.

I've been personally fine with using modifier keys to extend the amount of keybinds, so I'd live without this and didn't use quickswitching either, but this could actually reduce the amount of "crab hand" you need to do in more exotic situations.

1 hour ago, CreZ said:

Wow! thanks for this. I had no idea it was available in game. Looks like I'm going to be reworking my hotkeys tonight.